Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The front landing legs on my 5ver have an American type of quick release locking pin through them which, due to its design, is quite awkward to use, especially in cold weather when your finger tips are numb!:Doh:

What I'd like to do is replace them with the type which have locking ball brearings at the end of the shaft which are relesed when either a button in the head is pushed, or a ring in the head is pulled.

Anyone (Geo?) any idea who might stock such a thing?

Ta :thumb:

(ps I've found some using Google but they're Aerospace standard materials, made to order and cost a bomb!)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I think you may find them called Pitt Pins,I hope the spelling is correct. a smaller version is used to rig Microlights.

Nordet

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
Exp
Since 1989
The original ones were called pip pins, found on aircraft, helicopters, racing cars etc.

pm me with the diameter of the pin and the grip length, (the distance they have to pass through) and how many and I'll see what we have around the place (www.nordet.co.uk)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The original ones were called pip pins, found on aircraft, helicopters, racing cars etc.

pm me with the diameter of the pin and the grip length, (the distance they have to pass through) and how many and I'll see what we have around the place (www.nordet.co.uk)

Cheers mate:thumb:
I'll have a measure up tonight after work.
Much appreciated.:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
You mean there could be an easier way to lower the front leg pads - sign me up for info please too.I mean we could just press the buton or use the winder but it takes ages to lower the complete leg without dropping the pads first.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
You mean there could be an easier way to lower the front leg pads - sign me up for info please too.I mean we could just press the buton or use the winder but it takes ages to lower the complete leg without dropping the pads first.

I think possibly you misunderstand Maggie.
The pad & inner leg will still be dropped first, it's just that on our rig, the spring pin (which holds the inner leg & pad into the outer leg for travelling) is of an awkward design.
I simply want to replace the release/travel pin with one of a better design which is easier (and cleaner) to use.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Think I would be inclined to stay with what is fitted..

Hell of a lot of weight relying on a ball bearing, and I can see if one fails for what ever reason the other would soon slip pop back in and drop..

Thats if you are talking about the sprung pin that allows you to drop the first section of the leg with the ground plate attached..

If not I appologies for sticking my nose in.. :winky:

Thermal gloves,, a lot cheaper.. :winky:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I think possibly you misunderstand Maggie.
The pad & inner leg will still be dropped first, it's just that on our rig, the spring pin (which holds the inner leg & pad into the outer leg for travelling) is of an awkward design.
I simply want to replace the release/travel pin with one of a better design which is easier (and cleaner) to use.

nope understood perfectly, the pins on ours are a complete pain too we even tried using them the other way round to make it easier, The guy we bought our first 5ver off never bothered dropping the pads and inner legs for that reason, he just stood there and pressed the down button to extend the whole leg and pad.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Think I would be inclined to stay with what is fitted..

Hell of a lot of weight relying on a ball bearing, and I can see if one fails for what ever reason the other would soon slip pop back in and drop..:

The weight wont be on the ball bearings Mo.
The weight will be taken in shear across the pin and as the ones I'm looking at have a shear strenght of 160K Lbs (approx) there wont be an issue.
The reason for the ball bearings is to stop the pin falling out when the legs are in the stowed/travel position with no wieght (well, minimal - weight of inner leg) on them.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking of.............but they aint cheap!

Attachments

• recessed-button-quick-release-pin-412461.jpg
    recessed-button-quick-release-pin-412461.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 15

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
This is the sort of thing I'm thinking of.............but they aint cheap!

Woop`s :Blush:

Not what I was thinking, I was thinking like the awning tubes where by you press a sprung loaded ball bearing either side of the tube..

They should work a treat.. :thumb:

Deleted User
I very quickly became fed up with crawling around in the wet and cold to release the clips.My solution was to use support blocks under the legs so I do not need to use the extending part pf the landing legs, this also has the added benefit of making the trailer more stable at the front.Of course this entails carrying the blocks around with you, at first I used some concrete blocks but these were very heavy so I went to a timber merchants and had 8 blocks sawn to size(aprox 12"x8"x3") and then fixed rope loops to each with staples. I find this convenient and carrying the timber blocks in the back of the pickup is not a problem, though I suppose there is a very slight possibility of the legs slipping off the blocks if care is not taken when hooking up.

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
I dont have any problems with mine, i just bend down un clip the spring clip and pull out the pin, i dont have to get on my hands and knees and im 6ft 4". Maybe i have a different type than you guys

Deleted User
I dont have any problems with mine, i just bend down un clip the spring clip and pull out the pin, i dont have to get on my hands and knees and im 6ft 4". Maybe i have a different type than you guys

Just old and knackered:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back