What am I missing? MH on Ebay ... (1 Viewer)

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Link Removed

Why is this so cheap on the Buy It Now price? It's a seller with good feedback, but I feel as thought I must be missing something obvious for that price, surely...?

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
some of the links on the page dont work

Maybe a scam

Neil

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I clicked and link didn't connect plus, not on ebay looks iffy and well avoided to me?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
thanks both - it was the first item on Ebay's motorhomes page when I had a look earlier, it doesn't exactly fit my bill but at that price I think I'd have been able to overlook a lot! Will put my excitement back in its box now and stick to what I know I want.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi I think its a scam also he says half delivery cost will be met by him does that mean you cant go and pick it up in others words not allowed to see it in my opinion.

If buying something likea motorhome of ebay id make sure i viewed it first and look at all numbers like vin number engine number and logbook number so you can do a check on it.

Gerry

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
if you click on the view sellers other items there are 4 displayed but all are the same,click on one of the others and briefly you get a different seller id of jdrf ...something rather than 180barrie then it jumps to the 180barrie id as you look at it, infact there are three different ids and item numbers for this vehicle

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Remember the warning if it looks to good to be true it probably is.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
tHE BASIC URL LISTED ABOVE IS NOTHING LIKE OTHER EBAY URLS FOR MOTORHOMES ( OR ANYTHING ELSE )

Sorry, didn't mean to shout.

Last edited:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
If you do a search of the item number 310165767637 on Ebay it comes back not found

its a scam:Eeek::Eeek:

More to this midlandflooring have this vehicle for sale with no buy it now price the scammer has taken details of this vehicle note the spelling of midlandfloring he has missed out one o in name

correct listing number 310215143956

spoken to midlandflooring he is aware what has happened Ebay have been informed not very interested its the 2nd time this has happened to him :Eeek:

reported to Ebay:thumb:

Last edited:

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
If you watch carefully,As you click on it from the list view It looks like it double loads,
I reported such an item last week,
But its not easy as his redirected report link will be false
A SCAM keep away

Alan H

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Any listing where you have to be an aproved bidder and contact by email are scams, you will also find that the URL is not a genuine ebay one.

If its cheap and to good to be true.................. its NOT at the end of the day.

If it was every dealer and his dog would be there long before you.

Peter

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Not wanting to sound too thick, but how can that happen then - that it's not on eBay? I know you could knock up a dummy page, but I actually googles eBay this morning, specifically to put in the item number for a motorhone someone is selling further down this forum. That came up fine, so I was def on eBay, all I did then was click the motorhone listing at the bottom of that eBay page n this one was the first that came up. I don't get how it can not be on eBay - if you see what I mean...

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
*** NOT ON EBAY ***

Its a scam.

There will be, or was, a similar/same item on eBay which was legit. However the page was hacked (probably user account more like) and injected with code redirection so it "flashes" after a second of looking at original (legit) page then diverts to a 3rd party site.

Notice the URL you pasted is NOT an eBay site.

Clever but obvious if you know where to look.

And well done for wondering why it was too good to be true!

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Not wanting to sound too thick, but how can that happen then - that it's not on eBay? I know you could knock up a dummy page, but I actually googles eBay this morning, specifically to put in the item number for a motorhone someone is selling further down this forum. That came up fine, so I was def on eBay, all I did then was click the motorhone listing at the bottom of that eBay page n this one was the first that came up. I don't get how it can not be on eBay - if you see what I mean...

If you have Googled ebay that's the problem. You should always go onto the ebay site at www.ebay.co.uk and use their search facility to find items. By using Google you have searched the web which will bring up the scams

Derek

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
updated earlier post with more info:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
mmm look at the picture showing the battery condition, its red, the battery's no good so not worth the money:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OH NO, OF COURSE ITS A SCAM.....................:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
some of the links on the page dont work

Maybe a scam

Neil

I clicked and link didn't connect plus, not on ebay looks iffy and well avoided to me?

and that, dear friends, is how to tell if its a scam.

click the feedback and it'll say 'sorry we encountered a problem'
click the sellers name and it will go to 'my world' and 'find people'

the account doesnt exist.

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
Its been pulled
Go into E bay and search
Don,t use White roses link, that is the scammers Address
Alan H

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
It is as clear as it can be The ADDRESS does not belong to EBAY

*in my best Kevin-the-teenager voice* "Yeah but ...... I still don't get how it happens"!

I'm not completely computer illiterate, honest - but I don't quite see how it works...

I google "ebay" - nothing more.

The first result is ebay.co.uk - surely that should be the legit site.

I click on ebay.co.uk, ebay opens up. I must be in the right place, because the ID number I cut and pasted from The Wallaces thread on here links to the right original motorhome. I know it's the real ebay because it greets me as my friend, as his account was the last person to use ebay

After viewing that one, I scroll to the bottom of that page and click the internal ebay linking to motorhomes, that address I posted was the first motorhome to come up on the ebay motorhomes listing.

So how did that link take me to something that's outside ebay, when presumably all the rest on that same page are genuine ones within ebay, and when there is a genuine seller with the same motorhome. How did that link get there, iyswim?!

Sorry - I know I'm in motorhome chat, not tech support! I know Ebay is riddled with scams and I kind of expect the fact that some people are selling stuff that's stolen/not really there/counterfeit or whatever, but this is like some sleight of hand thing and it's confusing me!

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Proper Ebay item

Well this one is not a scam - I promise you - 'cos it's mine - and SWMBO has ordered me to sell it. :Angry:

See Link Removed

Dick

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Well this one is not a scam - I promise you - 'cos it's mine - and SWMBO has ordered me to sell it. :Angry:

See Link Removed

Dick

Oh my goodness, that's fantastic! And if my budget wasn't well under half that :Blush:, and I had the bottle to even think about daring take something that big out on the road, I'd be writing the cheque now and grabbing the keys out of your hands! It's flippin gorgeous!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Easy to spot a scam like this and no need to waste time playing detective clicking links etc.

You'd have to be pretty naive or plain daft to believe you could buy an 04 reg motorhome for under £6 grand! :RollEyes:

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm not completely computer illiterate, honest - but I don't quite see how it works...

I google "ebay" - nothing more.

Therein lies your problem, and that of a lot of people that I know. Many internet users do not actually understand the purpose of the Address Bar in a web browser. I have seen friends going to a frequently used site by typing words into the Google or Yahoo Search bar!!!

To state what virtually everyone on this forum knows, you should type the URL (address, or Unique Resource Locator) into the address bar. Then you will go to the correct page - assuming that you have spelled it correctly.:Smile:

The individual is also using an email address of a Doctor's web site!! He is, apparently in the Czech Republic, judging by his URL. His domain name wiew-item-for-sale.wz.cz is hosted on a Czech web server. (And he spells view as wiew!)

As is obvious to all. A scam. Another way of checking out web sites is to right-click and select View Source. If you know html code you can learn a great deal from this.

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
E-bay MH Scam

Hi All,
Agreed it is a scam but I see that there are now three (ludicrous) bids on it. :Eeek:
What I don't get is what the "seller" is trying to gain. Are there that many people who would pay up front without actually having seen the MH or even having proof that it exists? Suppose there must be or the scamming scum wouldn't bother.
I know there is a fair bit of it going on on E-bay but most of the (less greedy) scum settle for the "£500 deposit to be paid by PayPal within 24 hrs of auction ending" sort of thing.
Maybe I'm just too trusting, or should that read naive? :Blush:
Anybody want to buy into this super business opportunity to be an agent for a former Nigerian oil tycoon? :ROFLMAO:

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
its a regular scam

Weve had this before, check out my reply a while back if it helps to clarify whats going on

Link Removed

Ebay dont care!!! I gave up reporting it in the end. The scammers are winning

scammers 1 mountaintiger 0
scammers 2 ebay 0

mind you its not full time yet!!

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Ludricous Bids

Just a thought, when you see one of these motorhomes for £5k etc and then the actual price is £40k, £400k, its other users (the good guys) realising its a scam and trying to make normal purchasers aware that something is not quite right.

Whoever they are, Id like to thank these people :thumb: for making those purchasers likely to be scammed, think that something is amiss and therefore 'spoil' the scammers ebay entry.

hymerbeliever

Free Member
Mar 23, 2010
Funster No
This is not a sale at all. This gives it away:

Note: This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only.
Email the seller to be placed on the pre-approved bidder/buyer list.

The seller is only intersted in collecting email address which he can then sell. He will never respond.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back