What to do on site when you go out? (1 Viewer)

graham_bell

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hi all,

We bought a motorhome last week and went out for a day trip on Saturday, just to get used to everything, and it all went well..

I was thinking, having previously tugged, this wasn't an issue, but when I'm on a site and we pop out for the day, what do I do about the pitch I'm on? Obviously as it's empty it might look unused! I think I've previosuly seen Motorhomers with some sort of sign, saying the pitch is in use etc.

What do people suggest? (apart from leaving Mrs B behind!) Is there a sign you can buy? Do people make their own?

Many thanks,
Graham

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Signs are easy to make Graham. Just saying PITCH IN USE and park it in the middle of the pitch.

There have been occasions however when people arrive back to find another motorhome on their pitch with the sign flattened and the excuse given ...'sorry, I didn't see it.':Angry:

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi, you can buy signs that say [ this pitch is being used by a Motorhome ] or you can make your own with say your vehicle number on it ,some people leave things on the pitch to save it IE water bottles, levelling blocks, their step etc,all likely to get pinched, I would think that if you are on a regulated site the warden would know the pitch you are on is taken and not put any other on it,:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Graham

We have a sign for ours we got off ebay can get your name put on it think it was about £5.00
If in summer and we have chairs out we will leave them with a padalock round them.

Most sites abroad tend to give you a pitch number so shouldnt be a problem.

Gerry

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Signs are easy to make Graham. Just saying PITCH IN USE and park it in the middle of the pitch.

There have been occasions however when people arrive back to find another motorhome on their pitch with the sign flattened and the excuse given ...'sorry, I didn't see it.':Angry:

Get a cast iron one, they won't miss that. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I believe you are still thinking like a tugger, go out for the day, move to the next site or wild camp. who wants to keep going back

Upvote 0

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Graham,
We use a mini traffic cone, bought legit (honest) for £4.80 we have our reg. on it and "Pitch in Use" in large ink marker.Placed at front of pitch never had a problem with squatters.
Enjoy motorhoming :thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
As this weekend is the Peterboro show.. Graham why not pop along to the show and have a look round..there will no doubt be a stall there doing the pitch signs...there was last year..name escapes me..have a look for the funsters you may even get a free brew!!

We used to use a bucket pegged down in the middle of the pitch by the handle with a marker with our name on it.. it never went adrift!!

Upvote 0

kaspian

Free Member
Aug 16, 2009
bonnie Scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 months and counting!
Well done!

Congratulations on your new toy. I know what you mean, we were asked just last week on our maiden voyage at C and CC site at Weston super Mare to mark our pitch if we went out for the day and one of the kids was most upset at the idea of being pegged to the pitch all day to defend it! :winky:

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
We bought a sign from the C C site we were on on our first trip out in ours as we didnt know to "mark" your pitch when you went out. Now we just walk everywhere. Enjoy your new vehicle and happy travelling.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
...we were asked just last week on our maiden voyage at C and CC site at Weston super Mare to mark our pitch if we went out for the day and one of the kids was most upset at the idea of being pegged to the pitch all day to defend it!

:ROFLMAO:
I was on that site last week (Tuesday/Wednesday night)...at the bottom of the field by the "stream" (I'm sure streams are meant to move). Lovely weather but had to close all the doors/windows around 7pm to stop the big cloud of gnats from joining me for dinner :Sad:

Back on topic...I noticed at the Charmouth C&CC site last week that several people had spare number plates made up and fixed to the external water tanks at the back of their pitch when they left.

I've printed out and fixed to some card a 'reserved' sign with my number plate and photo of the van, which I tie to my Fiamma grey water tank. Fine at the moment while the weather's good and until I can find something better.

Upvote 0

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
if you have a bucket or something similar, come and see me at the peterborough show, and i can make up some vinyl lettering for you to stick on, you can have your reg no, 'motorhome parked here' your names, or what ever else,

will be very cheap as i do the vinyl cutting as a hobby,

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Or if in England and over pensionable age ... get a bus pass ..... saves you loads. (Not that I would know of course, being only a mere 21 year old):RollEyes:

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Leave something

We recently fell foul of this. This being our first season as M/H'ers, were on a CC site. Went out for the day and returned to find a caravan on the pitch. He had been told by the wardens that the pitch was in use by us but they refused to move. Wardens said they couldn't do anything about it. Since then have made a sign printed on computer then laminated and stuck onto an empty grout container. (See attached photo) We can put in stones or water to ensure cannot be blown away. Seems to do the trick.

Wyn

Hi all,

We bought a motorhome last week and went out for a day trip on Saturday, just to get used to everything, and it all went well..

I was thinking, having previously tugged, this wasn't an issue, but when I'm on a site and we pop out for the day, what do I do about the pitch I'm on? Obviously as it's empty it might look unused! I think I've previosuly seen Motorhomers with some sort of sign, saying the pitch is in use etc.

What do people suggest? (apart from leaving Mrs B behind!) Is there a sign you can buy? Do people make their own?

Many thanks,
Graham

Attachments

• In use.jpg
    In use.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We used to just tie a bag around the pitch number post until the father in law made us a sign to use.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back