Toilet suggestions-warning toilet talk! (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Firstly My motorhome has the Thetford C250 loo,the one with the waste tank on wheels.
It is an 18 litre tank. Is it interchangeable with the tank on the C200? I am looking at ways to extend loo use when wilding.
I am going to Glastonbury this year and would like to extend use then. Because of my years I have to pee 3 to 4 times per night,would a bucket with some type of water absorbing granules be of use? maybe cat litter? I would use a bucket in the shower.
I would be relieved to hear your suggestions and comments

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know about swapping tanks but i doubt it.

i tried to find info on the thetford website but to no avail.:Sad:

as for cat litter etc.....problem is disposing of it, you cant tip it down the elsan point and you wont be very popular putting it in a waste bin:Eeek: on a warm summers day, if we get one this year. :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

VERY from the sound of things.

In gliders there is a pee tube drilled through to the outside.

If it's a clear day and you feel rain, and you look up and see a glider, go and have a wash.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Mountain Man "In gliders there is a pee tube drilled through to the outside."

Br careful, be very careful. Has no-one tied a knot in it for you? That's one sure fire way of getting your own back...

Emigrant

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Funster No
Firstly My motorhome has the Thetford C250 loo,the one with the waste tank on wheels.
It is an 18 litre tank. Is it interchangeable with the tank on the C200? I am looking at ways to extend loo use when wilding...

Just for the record, Thetford C250 and C200 toilet cassettes are definitely NOT interchangeable.

If you wished to carry an extra cassette, Fiamma markets the "Porta Kassett" product. This is a sturdy hinged plastic box normally mounted beneath the motorhome's chassis. One version houses a C200 or CT3000 cassette and a second model is specifically designed for the larger C250 cassette.

In principle, if you are carrying an extra cassette with toilet waste inside, the cassette should be vented to cope with gas pressure build-up within the cassette. In practice, the cassette should be strong enough to handle the pressure provided that the cassette is emptied reasonable quickly after being stored.

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
You will pee exactly the same ammount if you go 3 or 4 times a night or just one long satisfying one in the morning, The ammount you pee is dependant on food and drink intake.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It is an 18 litre tank. Is it interchangeable with the tank on the C200? I am looking at ways to extend loo use when wilding.
I am going to Glastonbury this year and would like to extend use then. Because of my years I have to pee 3 to 4 times per night,would a bucket with some type of water absorbing granules be of use? maybe cat litter? I would use a bucket in the shower.

OK you have had the jokes and you have had no help replies, here is a working and practical way of extending the time between cassette emptying.

First this info is based on the use by to adults

Second the volume of urine produced is about 5 times greater that that of solids

So if you collect all, of the urine in a 5 Lt plastic drinking water container you will find that you will have 5 Lt's in 24 hours and urine is far easier to dispose of that solids. I say a drinking water container because they are free and you will want to replace them from time to time also the screw cap stops smells escaping.

With this system you can extend the need to empty the cassette to well over 6 days.

Doug...

OP
OP
bigfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Thank you all for the comments and the intersting information,I didn't know that about gliders!
The urine/solids relationship is very useful. I asked the question because if the pitch is miles away from any disposal point and theer will obviously be queues it would save time and be more of a convenience!!!:roflmto:
Did you hear about the toilet attendants wage agreement? They were offered £10 per month increments for the first 6 months and then a reduction of £3 per month,it was called an EXcrement!!:ROFLMAO:

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
you could always fit a urinal, plumbed into a seperate tank under the van, you'd be able to get a much bigger tank to store pee in then,

fit a non locking filler type fitting to the side of the van connected to the tank, label it with 'petrol or diesel', and wait for someone to empty it for you by trying to syphon the 'fuel' out,

or is that taking the piss erm, :Blush:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Frankly my dear, everyone on large campsites (ie trek to loo block) in tents normally uses a bucket overnight and empties it in the morning 'some time' - just depends on EXACTLY what you have used it for and how hot the weather is, as to how urgent that is! LOL - and you 'meet' other bucket emptiers en route. It's kinda a bit embarrassing the first time you do it but by day 2 you are all saying "Good morning!", in a variety of different European languages.

I was most impressed that the Dutch on one site all seemed to have a specific receptacle, sort of like a half-capacity nappy bucket, with a broad lip for perching upon and a lid that is quite firmly attached for carrying purposes.

I always look wherever we go to see if I can find such a thing to purchase, but never have.

OP
OP
bigfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
last year we were tent camping,well in a yurt in Mongolia. The bogs were about 1/2 mile away so we bought some buckets with lids from the local market before we went onto the site. When we first had a campervan we used an old nappy bucket with a lid.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Frankly my dear, everyone on large campsites (ie trek to loo block) in tents normally uses a bucket overnight and empties it in the morning 'some time' - just depends on EXACTLY what you have used it for and how hot the weather is, as to how urgent that is! LOL - and you 'meet' other bucket emptiers en route. It's kinda a bit embarrassing the first time you do it but by day 2 you are all saying "Good morning!", in a variety of different European languages.
I was most impressed that the Dutch on one site all seemed to have a specific receptacle, sort of like a half-capacity nappy bucket, with a broad lip for perching upon and a lid that is quite firmly attached for carrying purposes.
I always look wherever we go to see if I can find such a thing to purchase, but never have.

You can actually buy a bucket with a toilet seat and lid attached to it. We have seen them in Towsure Sheffield. We have thought about getting one and keeping it in the shower cubicle for the same reason. Just wees , no poos of course:thumb:
There are 5 of us , our ( cassette) loo gets emptied at least once aday. Ok if on site but tricky if not.
Bev

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Ok, so I dont have a camper yet..... but I have been using a thetford for the last couple of weeks while I am rebuilding our bathroom.

If you 'pee' somewhere else and just use the thetford for the 'solids' it will get a little difficult to empty ( wont it ? ) because the solids will not have dissolved suffucuently.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Ok, so I dont have a camper yet..... but I have been using a thetford for the last couple of weeks while I am rebuilding our bathroom.

If you 'pee' somewhere else and just use the thetford for the 'solids' it will get a little difficult to empty ( wont it ? ) because the solids will not have dissolved suffucuently.

Well yes and no!! there is, as always a technique to learn.

You don't let the cassette fill to the top with solids, about 2/3 would be the maximum and don't forget to give it a shake if you are continually stationary and yes you do have to look to see if it getting full.

When the time to empty comes add some water or urine and take a little drive to mix it up.

2 or 3 flushing with water will complete the emptying.

I have to add that I don't use any additive to the cassette as I have a SOG modification added to the cassette and there are no problems with smells.

I have been using this method for many years now and never had any problems, I think the longest time that we have gone without emptying was 10 days.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back