spit n polish (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Could anyone recommend a polish for the fiberglass luton bit of our motorhome please.
We use turtle wax wax n go on the grp sides and cab , which leaves a lovely shine , but doesn't seem to do much with the fiber glass bit.
Now we have a nice bit of sunshine , wed like to get it sparkling.
Thanks
Bev

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought some Link Removed at Newark and found it to be pretty good. Used it on both the van and the car and it's brought them up sparkling.

We don't think it will go as far as claimed but that, to a large extent, is a result of over-enthusiastic, inexperienced spraying by ourselves.

Hope there will be some at a good price at Peterborough rather than having to pay full retail because if there is we'll definitely get some more.

Graham

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
On fiber glass Farecla boat polish was recommended by Autosleepers for their bodies and have used to good effect. It only needs doing about every 18 months.

Can be got at boat stores or Google Farecla for supplier.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Could anyone recommend a polish for the fiberglass luton bit of our motorhome please.
We use turtle wax wax n go on the grp sides and cab , which leaves a lovely shine , but doesn't seem to do much with the fiber glass bit.
Now we have a nice bit of sunshine , wed like to get it sparkling.
Thanks
Bev

Hi Vev,

Theres a polish called 'Mur' I think which has a slight brasive in it as well and brings up and protects the gelcoat, used on boats a lot

Peter

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I too use Mer when we can be bothered or get any time to give the man a wash. Works a treat and so so easy to use without leaving loads of residue or aching your arm::bigsmile:

Apr 18, 2010
dunbar scotland
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
20ars ye
jimmycyn

Hi Vev,

Theres a polish called 'Mur' I think which has a slight brasive in it as well and brings up and protects the gelcoat, used on boats a lot

It';s called 'MER' and is good, but Autoglym Super Resin Polish is better. Try their Renovating Polish if that doesn't work.For even more drastic problems use T CUT, but be carefull as it is very abrasive

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I used Feracla top wax on mine it`s a boat polish it is good used on gel coats:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Did you try the "spit and polish" ??

Dale

As you know, my spit is often slightly tinted:wine:
so that would only add to the problem.

We have heard of Mur , Infact an elderly gent with an immaculate Hymer recommended it to us.
The boat polish sounds a good bet too. ( plastic , fiberglass , water, boats why didn't i think about that:Blush:)
I think the front of the luton is dull , as it get's the most of the elements when driving along, and its probably never been polished . The shine has all but gone.
While I'm up there ( on the scaffold ! ) I'm going to get my hairdryer out and get that horrible orange CI graphic off too. T cut the fade and get plenty mur or boat polish rubbed into it.
Thanks everyone.
B

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
While I'm up there ( on the scaffold ! ) I'm going to get my hairdryer out and get that horrible orange CI graphic off too. T cut the fade and get plenty mur or boat polish rubbed into it.
Thanks everyone.
B

Careful with T Cut type products on plastic/fibreglass. Some instructions on the bottles say not to use the stuff on those materials because of abrasive ingredients.

Graham

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Farecla

Advice from Auto Sleepers is to use Farecla when the shine has gone dull, around 4/5 years Then use every year after So depends on the state of the van etc.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
T cut the fade and get plenty mur or boat polish rubbed into it.
B

Wouldn't T-cut before using either Mer or Boat Polish.

I've just had the annual go at mine with 3M Fibreglass Cleaner and Wax, and it takes the fade off with no problem. (I've used Mer as well ,which is easier to apply and polish out, but not as good at cleaning and retainnig shine).

Leaves a lovely effect on the main mouldings, but it is a multiple phase job to get it on and off (takes quite a bit of polishing out).

Available on-line, or at a chandler or marina near you.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Just an Autoglym high resin will do for what you need. Once it is polished, re-polish every month and you will never have any dirt, black streaks etc, and flies will fall off.

If you are so inclined, you could also go for a paint sealer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back