private hgv on motorhome V5 ? (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hi all I have just read the V5 from the new van we are getting and it reads PRIVATE HGV, does that mean I cant drive it as I dont have a HGV licence nor does hubby, he gave his licence up years ago, he let it lapse when he was made redundant from work 10 years ago its a 4005k gross it says on the V5, can anyone help on this? thanks

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Same as a good many :)

You need a C1 endorsement on your licence ( anyone who passed their test pre 97 ( I think ! ) will have it by default.. )

If you do not have it you can apply and take a simple test to get it

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
As long as you have class C1 on your driving licence you are OK. Anyone who passed their driving test before 1997 is automatically entitled to this. If after you have to take a supplementary test.

When you reach 70 you have to apply to keep it when you renew your licence and may need to have a medical to retain it.

Hope this is clear

Lunarman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
unless you are over 70 or have a notifiable issue ( like diabeties) then you can drive up to 7.5 ton on your licence unless it was after 1998 when you got it. Only newer drivers need to take a separate test.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
phew thats ok then I passed in 73 and hubby passed in 68. thanks guys

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
I don`t think you need to worry if you got your licence before 1994 or thereabout you should be able to drive vehicles up to 7500 tonnes

Madmike

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Pickering
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 yrs
Hi all I have just read the V5 from the new van we are getting and it reads PRIVATE HGV, does that mean I cant drive it as I dont have a HGV licence nor does hubby, he gave his licence up years ago, he let it lapse when he was made redundant from work 10 years ago its a 4005k gross it says on the V5, can anyone help on this? thanks

Hi Trica,
If you passed your driving test before 1997 you can drive any vehicle up to a maximum weight of 7.5 tons plus pull a trailer. If you passed after that date you are limited to 3.5 tons and must take another test to gain the extra enlitlement.

Private HGV on your V5 is because your van is over 3.5 tons MAM (maximum authorised mass)
Plus its good because it does not get involved in the emissions road tax sliding scale. Vans such as ours are charged at a flat rate of £165.

Be aware that if you are over seventy that you will require a stricter medical certificate from your doctor to keep the 7.5 ton entitlement.
Regards,
Mad Mike

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Whoa, hold on a minute, if the van's over 3500kgs it should have a taxation class of Private HGV and that sets the tax at £165 a year????

Ours is 6731kgs and down as PLG and tax just cost me £200 (ish).....

Sorry, blatant hijack:Blush:

Madmike

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Pickering
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 yrs
Whoa, hold on a minute, if the van's over 3500kgs it should have a taxation class of Private HGV and that sets the tax at £165 a year????

Ours is 6731kgs and down as PLG and tax just cost me £200 (ish).....

Sorry, blatant hijack:Blush:
Hi Dodgey,
Yep that's right. The thing is it depends on how the vehicle was registered with DVLA when new. Sometimes if it was a small lorry or a van first, then the road tax is decided by the emissions rather than by the MAM of the van. Worth looking into re-registering your van. I belive its not too hard.
Regard,
The Mad One:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
how come then the bigger the van the smaller the road fund licence?

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
why would I want to re-register the van when it is cheaper on the road tax? would there be any benefit and it is registered new 08.04.10

Madmike

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Pickering
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 yrs
how come then the bigger the van the smaller the road fund licence?

One of lifes' little mysteries.:ROFLMAO: I think its a throw back to those who used to have big wagons to move fair ground equipment and horses around. What ever you do don't tell your MP or all will be lost.:cry::cry:
Regards,
Mike

Madmike

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Pickering
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 yrs
why would I want to re-register the van when it is cheaper on the road tax? would there be any benefit and it is registered new 08.04.10

You wouldn't the post was directed to Dodgey not to yourself. Sorry for the confussion.:RollEyes::RollEyes:
Regards.
Mike

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi Dodgey,
Yep that's right. The thing is it depends on how the vehicle was registered with DVLA when new. Sometimes if it was a small lorry or a van first, then the road tax is decided by the emissions rather than by the MAM of the van. Worth looking into re-registering your van. I belive its not too hard.
Regard,
The Mad One:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I must look into this then, it might only be £35 but better in my pocket than thieving Brown and co.

Our van is a Winne Brave, '95 so I guess at registration the weight wasn't declared.

Madmike

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Pickering
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 yrs
"I must look into this then, it might only be £35 but better in my pocket than thieving Brown and co.

Our van is a Winne Brave, '95 so I guess at registration the weight wasn't declared. "

Hi Dodgey,
I tatally agree with you re Brown and Co, however whoever you vote for at this election you will still end up with governement.:cry::cry::cry:

Your Winnie was made in the USA and privately imported into the UK.
Who ever filled in the registration form put it in the taxation class of PLG instead of Private HGV. They must be shot at dawn ASAP.:shout::shout:
It must be described as a Motor Caravan in the body type.
Let us know how you get on with the change to your taxation class.
Regards,
Mad Mike:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Variously yes...

Rest of reg seems OK, motorcaravan etc so just that. Just had a goof around and other posts on the subject indicate a trip to DVLA local office with paperwork etc, but I'll probably make a call tomorrow and get the fine details. We've got all Winne's paperwork, then there's the vin plate, it's a piece of card stuck to the door:ROFLMAO:
and lets face it no one in thier right mind could believe a 28ft A class american motorhome weighs 3500kgs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Variously yes...

Rest of reg seems OK, motorcaravan etc so just that. Just had a goof around and other posts on the subject indicate a trip to DVLA local office with paperwork etc, but I'll probably make a call tomorrow and get the fine details. We've got all Winne's paperwork, then there's the vin plate, it's a piece of card stuck to the door:ROFLMAO:
and lets face it no one in thier right mind could believe a 28ft A class american motorhome weighs 3500kgs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thats right dodgy...a trip to dvla local office.
i got a cert of confomity from alko via swift for mine so it was no problem....mind you i havent got my V5 back yet dispite phoning them about it.

you may have to go to a weighbridge and get it certified but im not 100% on that.

it could be straight forward as you have all the paperwork to hand.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
As long as you have class C1 on your driving licence you are OK. Anyone who passed their driving test before 1997 is automatically entitled to this. If after you have to take a supplementary test.

When you reach 70 you have to apply to keep it when you renew your licence and may need to have a medical to retain it.

Hope this is clear

Lunarman

However.... Keep an eye on you licence if you have to send it into DVLA for an address change etc. They have been known to wipe off C1s if you are not careful.

Always keep a copy when you send it off..

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I recently had this problem with my Autotrail being registered as PLG which at max 3500kg was a joke. Changing from PLG to PHGV is not as straignt forward as you might think. To be honest DVLA do not know how to get around this easily and different people have different suggestions.

Having your MH registered as PLG has no real ill effects until vosa pull you and check your weight (an increasing occurence apparently) then the proverbial will hit the fan.

Suggestions checklist:
picture of VIN plate and supplimentary plate showing increased MAW of 3850kgs, witnessed and signed by authorised garage.
letter of conformity - thank you Paul Howes, Autotrail
Weigh bridge tare weight - what for I've no idea
V5, V14 etc
Nice young lady at DVLA Peterborough

Sucess; just hope they don't lose the paperwork.

Thanks Papajohn for guidance and assistance

Jack

Jul 8, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi

If my vehicle has been registered as a PHGV with revenue weight of 4250kg but empty it weighs 3100kg, can I drive it without C1 provider I keep it overall MAM under 3500kg

Does The requirement for C1 follow the Vehcile type (defined by revenue weight) or the actual weight of the vehicle?

... I.e if I keep under 3500 can I drive a PHGV vehicle

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
You need it downplated to 3500kg SV tech do it for a fee of £140.

I did mine recently.

Cheers James

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Hi

If my vehicle has been registered as a PHGV with revenue weight of 4250kg but empty it weighs 3100kg, can I drive it without C1 provider I keep it overall MAM under 3500kg

Does The requirement for C1 follow the Vehcile type (defined by revenue weight) or the actual weight of the vehicle?

you would have to have it down plated to 3500 and V5 changed but likely the van would be unusable at that weight as no payload.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Hi

Revenue weight, you need a C1 for that vehicle.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If your first licence was paper you can drive up to 7500 kgs, when 70 if you want to keep driving over 3500 kegs you need a medical, you will need a D2 and a D4 (thats the medical one) if your first licence was a photo one you need a second test for a C+1 entitlement. The class of licence to. Drive it goes on the max not the unladen weight.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
phew thats ok then I passed in 73 and hubby passed in 68. thanks guys
If hubby passed his test in 68 he must have been at least 17 at the time. That means he will be at least 70 this year, in which case he will need to apply to keep the C1 license he needs for driving anything over 3500kg. The C1 involves a D2 application and a D4 medical report signed by a doctor. Retention of the pre 1997 C1 rights (grandfather rights) is only automatic up to your 70th birthday.

Edit. Please ignore it has just been pointed out the original post is an old one and my comments are irrelevant and based on 2021 dates. Sorry.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Post-97 licence unfortunately. Thanks, so revenue weight it is then!... so downplating required. It's not about the payload per se, I just want to make I can legally drive the vehicle ahead of getting my C1 license as the wait time is like 3-4 months. It seems that even under a C1 provisional, I cannot drive it as it seems it does not matter my wife passed her test pre-97. She can drive it but cannot supervise me, if I understood the rules correctly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back