lallymc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
Exp
1 year
hi guys just new to the forum tonight so bare with me as its late also lol

at the moment we have a swift sunto 59rs which we love but the layout just isnt working for us, with 2 boys and a large dog we need the space.

have found two motorhomes we love, one is the autotrail apache 700 which is nearly 3 years old- decor a bit yukky colour but has all the extras on it, feels like a solid van, the price of this though compares to the brand new eliddis autoquest 180 which has the same layout but again dont know much about them.

has anyone got any thoughts on these motorhomes, better still own one

would appreciate any advice as only been motorhomers for just under a year.

thankyou

Lea :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I've been reading MH forums for 3 years now and I do wonder why anyone would buy new. There are always problems and you take The Big Money Hit.

So good low mileage used has a lot going for it.

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
I know nothing about the Autotrail apache but I do know that the Eldis isn't winterised so you'd perhaps not get year round usage out of it, if that's an issue? It's a very attractively priced new van, though - I was looking at one last year and I absolutely loved the layout- but I've been a bit put off by salesmen sucking their teeth a bit about their longevity ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
hi we are a family with two growing boys and a very very very large dog.

Have you thought about a CI GTL or and Adria 670?
Both with great lay outs for families, that actually work,

As Brian says, I would personally not buy new, but hey someones gotta do us poor people a favour:winky:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I bought a frontier scout a year ago this weekend "whoop whoop one year motorhoming"

Its basically an apache 700 with one or two differences, nothing I could not live without, It was four years old with only 6.5k miles on so wasn’t even run in, almost as new inside, and cost about 60% of what it did new. So after a year with I ask myself the question "am I happy with it" yes in the main, I love driving it, its got 9.5k miles on now so I’ve done 3k in it, I did have to spent out on a cam belt this year, but that no real bigy for what I saved over new. The fitments are to mind very good as is the build quality so its thumbs up there for autotrail,:thumb:

A downside could be for some people could be that the water tanks are not inside a double floor but exposed, they are insulated but not for really cold weather, I know you can get tank warmers for them (small 12volt heater elements) and the cost for that doesn’t seem too expensive if you need it, but it wont allow (to my mind) skiing trips midd winter if that’s what you intend. I’m only a fair weather motorhomer so for me it’s no problem.

If I was buying now, I would probably go for the autotrail Arapaho, same layout but with a tagg axle and about 3foot longer, most in the rear lounge area, I do love the layout it suits me, its a little tight in the galley area "only room for one person between the cooking area and dinette" but in truth its no real problem, so all in all I’m a happy autotrail owner, nothing fell off, every thing works as it should, it suits me and I saved a shed load of money on new.....and importantly to me "IF I every needed to sell it I wont loose that much money"

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We have 3 boys and a labrador and we bought out Autoquest 180 last year. It was 3 years old when we bought it and thought it great for the money.

The U shape lounge is not massive, you can't get the family sat there but as the kids tend to be outside playing or sat at the dinette playing DS's this isn't an issue.

At night the dog tends to either sleep under our bed (lounge) or on the Dinette bed with our son.

Not sure about the Swift but another of our concerns was seat belts. Many vans don't have belts on the rear facing seats, although this is legal we wanted belts on all dinette seats and the Autoquest was one of the few 6 berths that had them.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If I was buying now, I would probably go for the autotrail Arapaho, same layout but with a tagg axle and about 3foot longer, most in the rear lounge area, I do love the layout it suits me, its a little tight in the galley area "only room for one person between the cooking area and dinette" but in truth its no real problem, so all in all I’m a happy autotrail owner, nothing fell off, every thing works as it should, it suits me and I saved a shed load of money on new.....and importantly to me "IF I every needed to sell it I wont loose that much money"

Strangely enough, I have one in stock, 4000 miles!

Autotrail Arapaho Motorhome Automatic 2008

Peter

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Lallymc

I see you found the site then hope you get the help your looking for i am sure you will be on here loads as it gets addictive:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Gerry

OP
OP
lallymc

lallymc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi Lallymc

I see you found the site then hope you get the help your looking for i am sure you will be on here loads as it gets addictive:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Gerry
thanks gerry yeah , unfortunately we missed out on autotrail within half hour today, we were gutted... prob not meant to be x:cry:

graham_bell

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
We bought an Apache very recently, about 3 weeks ago. I have noticed they do go quite quickly. We went for one that's 18 months old, with 6k on the clock.

So far we're very pleased used it a few times and stayed overnight for the first time this weekend just gone. Only one small issue so far, one of the LED lights was flashing, most annoying! Bought a replacement from John Cross (very fast delivery). Fitted it yesterday - All Ok now.

Very nice to drive I think the 2.3 engine is up to the job, we had a little bit of fun getting off a wet grass pitch at the weekend, made a bit of a mess of the grass though :Doh:

Things we especially like about the Apache 700SE (we were tuggers previously)
Large fresh water tank / grey tank
Perfect layout for us (rear u lounge)
Comfy and large rear bed when converted from seating area (easy to do too)
Wind out awning
Very nice looking externally (we think so anyway)
Good quality blinds
It's actually not too big when driving, we've been through a few smaller villages without any fuss - that's something we were worried about. People also get out of your way.)
My neighbour likes it too - he's into Indians... Honest. He was overjoyed when I told him about the other Indian names - oh it's British too, I thought he was going to buy it off me!

I went to the NEC and looked at the new scout, which is probably what I've have gone for if I had the budget (I don't mean a new one) but there aren't many second hand in the new shape available...Yet..

Of you have any questions, let me know..

Graham & Mandy

mr bond

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
near cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbie again
have a look at this

hi guys just new to the forum tonight so bare with me as its late also lol

at the moment we have a swift sunto 59rs which we love but the layout just isnt working for us, with 2 boys and a large dog we need the space.

have found two motorhomes we love, one is the autotrail apache 700 which is nearly 3 years old- decor a bit yukky colour but has all the extras on it, feels like a solid van, the price of this though compares to the brand new eliddis autoquest 180 which has the same layout but again dont know much about them.

has anyone got any thoughts on these motorhomes, better still own one

thankyou

this might interest you ?? Link Removed my motorhome is for sale

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Well to cut a long story short we have ended up going for a 2010 spec Swift Sundance 630L. Should be picking it up next week ready for our first trip out next weekend. ::bigsmile:

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
Well to cut a long story short we have ended up going for a 2010 spec Swift Sundance 630L. Should be picking it up next week ready for our first trip out next weekend. ::bigsmile:

Oh fantastic...well done you!.....hope you have lots of fun and wonderful times in your new motorhome.

OP
OP
lallymc

lallymc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
Exp
1 year
wahooo finally got the swift on friday and had our first weekend away in Seahouses, had a fantastic time and love the new motorhome

Our new pride and joy is called Dougal lol xxx:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back