Canterbury Park'n'Ride Aire New Dover Rd (1 Viewer)

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm sure this Aire must have been mentioned before but I think it's so outstanding that here is another plug for it.

£2.50 for each 24 hours - helpful info guy on site says 48 hour limit but slightly flexible. Includes unlimited use of all three Park'n'Ride routes. Buses every 7 minutes, 6 minutes to town centre. 25 large marked spaces in dedicated compound outside main car-park. Fresh water and grey/black waste disposal.

AND there is a handy pub outside the gate.

Bit lonely though - only one other van here tonight!

Just sent a complimentary email to council and copied it to Oxford where I found every Park and Ride to have a height barrier and no advertised facility for motorhomes.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
worth a mention for anyone traveling late. the entrance barriers are locked [9pm i beleive] but i agree its the sort of facility we need in other towns and citys.:thumb::thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, when we stayed there was about 8 vans, and must agree its a shame all park and rides could not do the same.:Smile: It would encourage us to tour the UK more than we do, the only other places we have been with marked bays are Lyme Regis and Bury St Edmunds, everywhere else we go we end up taking up two spaces or hanging your rear over the grass.:RollEyes: We pulled into Morrisons in Norwich and before we got out the van, someone came over and said you have two hours.:RollEyes: Well done Canterbury.:thumb::Smile: Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are plenty of places throughout the UK (including several P&R sites) where motorhomes can park during the day whether in marked bays or not. There are various reasons why overnight places like those at Canterbury are not provided in other places - most (if not all) of which have been discussed in many earlier threads which the search facility will identify.

Having studied the subject for over three years, though, I'm becoming more and more convinced that there simply isn't a sufficient demand in this country for overnight facilities which would convince councils to make the necessary investment (even if that is only in time to study viability & practicality).

Look back at similar threads and it becomes apparent that many responses are from the same handful of people (including myself) and very few are actually sufficiently desirous of facilities to do anything about it.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
....We pulled into Morrisons in Norwich and before we got out the van, someone came over and said you have two hours.:RollEyes:
I use Morrisons regularly (for shopping) and there are two in my area, one an ex-Safeway store which is close to the town centre, the other a new build 'out of town' store.

The 'out of town' store is totally free parking day or night, but the ex-Safeway charges £2 for two hours parking, refundable on purchases. I'm guessing you were quite possibly on a town centre Morrisons?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
nifty fifty said:
worth a mention for anyone travelling late. the entrance barriers are locked [9pm i beleive] but i agree its the sort of facility we need in other towns and citys.
Hi there,

It's a facility that Rita and I have used several times, and will use again in a couple of months time.

Here is a link giving the bus times, prices, and closing times. Link Removed

We can confirm that it is very quiet but safe, and only a short drive from Dover, with proper dump and fill facilities. A word of caution though, if filling with drinking water, remember to wipe the fresh water tap first with an antibacterial wipe, as being the only tap available, it is no doubt used BY SOME, for rinsing their cassette toilet. :whatthe:

Cheers,

Jock. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I use Morrisons regularly (for shopping) and there are two in my area, one an ex-Safeway store which is close to the town centre, the other a new build 'out of town' store.

The 'out of town' store is totally free parking day or night, but the ex-Safeway charges £2 for two hours parking, refundable on purchases. I'm guessing you were quite possibly on a town centre Morrisons?

Many supermarkets now are limiting parking to two hours, even where there is no charge. At "out of town" stores it is to stop their car parks being used by customers of other business which do not provide parking and/or being used by employees of businesses which have no staff parking. Then there are stores within walking distance of town centres who do not want people using their free parking as an alternative to charged town centre parking.

It always pays to check signs wherever we park.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A word of caution though, if filling with drinking water, remember to wipe the fresh water tap first with an antibacterial wipe, as being the only tap available, it is no doubt used BY SOME, for rinsing their cassette toilet. :whatthe:

Cheers,

Jock. :thumb:

Good advice Jock ,:thumb:

not only at Canterbury but at any tap on any site..

I use a spray bottle with dilute bleach.. spay all over and up into the tap spout , then run some water before putting the hose connector on .. you may get some funny looks but it's better than catching a nasty bug.

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/uk-touring/22768-canterbury-parknride-aire-new-dover-rd

i agree this is a fantastic aire and will be using it on monday and tuesday before we head of on seafrance to the continent for four months.
hope the influx of extra passengers from the grounded air routes can help seafrance overcome its cashflow problems.
canturbury is a great place with lots to see and do even if your not in transit well worth a weekend or a few days to look round the city has got it right

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I use a spray bottle with dilute bleach.. spay all over and up into the tap spout , then run some water before putting the hose connector on .. you may get some funny looks but it's better than catching a nasty bug.

me toooooooo Jim seen to many toilet cassettes pushed right up and touching the spout :Eeek::cry::Angry:....dirty sods !!!!!!!! where is there common sense and hygiene

Jim... we are at Lurcy Levis mid France....and moving around many AIRES ..... in shorts AT THIS VERY MOMENT and have been for the last 3 days , hot hot hot and clear blue skies....have you been to the site Jim beutiful Like a country park landscaped pic-nic tables , lake toilets
Mel:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim... we are at Lurcy Levis mid France....and moving around many AIRES ..... in shorts AT THIS VERY MOMENT and have been for the last 3 days , hot hot hot and clear blue skies....have you been to the site Jim beutiful Like a country park landscaped pic-nic tables , lake toilets
Mel:thumb:

Hi Mel

no, haven't been there, glad the weather is good..

it's also warm and sunny in Suffolk .. shorts and T shirt weather.. makes a nice change from the cold wind we had of late ..

safe travels :Smile:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Och aye Jim, but where the drinking water tap is nowhere near the chemical rinse tap, I tend not to bother.

Scotjimland said:
it's also warm and sunny in Suffolk .. shorts and T shirt weather.. makes a nice change from the cold wind we had of late ..
Aye, and the same on the Lincs/Cambs border too. :Smile:

We are off out on the bikes shortly, to an old 13th Century pub for a wee wet...............or two. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Sunday 6th June. Made a big mistake and arrived at Dover P&R for night before ferry Monday. Should have looked at the conditions first.

ALL P&Rs CLOSED ON SUNDAY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back