seafrance (1 Viewer)

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
SEAFRANCE !!!!
SEAFRANCE HAVE APPLIED FOR PROTECTION OF THE FRENCH COURT THIS IS ADMINISTRATION AND EVENTUALY BANKRUPT.
so check out your sailings if booked with them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
from a French transport site (Google translation )

After five days in port blocking, the three ferries SeaFance "Molière", "Berlioz" and "Rodin" have resumed their rotation yesterday morning. The strike, launched Friday by the CFDT, the majority union, is "suspended" until further order by Didier and Eric Capelle Vercoutre, union leaders and their supporters.

The consequences of this movement for SeaFrance: two million euros in losses and an image tarnished a bit more with customers. "Actual losses are more difficult to assess today amount to several tens of millions of euros," said Vincent Launay, assistant general manager. At a time when the backup plan of the enterprise (PSE) should be launched, SeaFrance did not need that.

The reorganization plan unworkable

Yesterday afternoon held a rare meeting with the shareholder station to discuss the business and financial consequences of the five days of social conflict. "The lack of revenue generated by the strike makes impossible the recovery plan as it was presented in February. This applies to the proposed refinancing, which should be presented in Brussels and who can no longer be supported, "says assistant general manager.

Peter F, Chief Executive of SeaFrance, has decided "to put the shipping company under the protection of the Commercial Court. On this issue, the works council must be consulted immediately, "otherwise the company may be running out of cash before the end of May," says management.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Great idea these strikes arnt they, cripple the company who wont give you a rise so your all out of work
Did strikes ever work:RollEyes:
BA anothor company that suffered the strike menace of late
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Many years ago when I actually worked for a living :Smile: I looked after some Karrycons at FDRC. they are van or straddle carriers. They were all hydraulic drive, using ACME pumps made in Canada, the workers went on strike and the owner said back to work or I shut the factory, they laughed, he shut the factory. :Eeek: We had to convert them to Dowty pumps.

Karrycons where the only straddle carries built in the UK, and they were the most unreliable pieces of crap you could get.

Olley

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
That's a bit weird, we actually went to France and back this time with Seafrance, first time in ages they've been the cheapest at the time we booked for the crossings we chose.

When we arrived at the docks on Wednesday teatime, there was a massive queue and it took us 40 mins to get through the French and English passport control. The French chap was obviouslt checking for summat, he was looking at each passport and was clearly muttering something repeatedly (either a number off it, could have been DOB or anything - or the address or the spelling of summat, dunno)

Then the English. Where had we been? Lots of places, mainly across the top, though. Where had we come from today? Ault, then via Berck for lunch .... Where in Ault? - the Aire - did he want the actual address? - No. Where had we stayed 'round here though' - Nowhere. Oh - but we did stay at Gravelines the first night we came over, over a week ago. But nowhere actually around Calais? - No.

Following that we fully expected to get pulled at Calais for the usual contraband and weapons/firearms check (does everyone else always get asked if they are carrying firearms or weapons, or just us?) - but we didn't.

Incidentally we didn't realise they have changed the access to the roundabout coming out of the port and you now can't swap from the LH lane as you come through the customs shed/cats claw part, to the RH lane as you arrive at the roundabout although you can get into the middle lane, which we did and landed up on the A2 instead of the A20. We had no option, and saw several other vehicles coming in the opposite direction where they had turned round at the first island on the A2. We came off and hung a sharp left and actually discovered Dover castle LOL. We chose not to turn Tom on and came the pretty way cross country to back to the A20 by just following our noses, we haven't done that for a long time, we were in no rush!!! LOL

So if you want the A/M20 - get in the RH lane to come through the customs shed else you will be cream-crackered, there are absolutely NO warning signs.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When I first moved to Essex in 1989 I worked at Ford in Dagenham as a maintenance electrician and had to join the Electrical Trade union , the EEPTU as it was known as then.. there was no choice, Ford was a 'closed shop'

The plant was plagued by wild cat strikes called by the bored assembly line workers who were members of the TGWU, ( now part of UNITE ). As they were in the majority we had to walk out as well,

It was a well paid job with good conditions, but with so much lost time due to strikes I quit after a year.

Is it any wonder Ford eventually closed the plant and moved production abroad. :Sad:

However, if it weren't for the unions and the right to withdraw your labour many of the pay and conditions that youngsters take for granted would never have happened..

As an apprentice in the late 60s the unions fought hard for simple things like a tea break and a locker room with washing facilities.. lets not forget that without the unions the working class would still doing a 60 hr week for peanuts, doffing their caps and calling the boss sir ..

net-traveller

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
Funster No
Recently GM in USA took this option, known there as Chapter 11. I believe that they have now got themselves together and have exited Chapter 11.

I believe the action that Sea France has taken is very similar to this.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I certainly hope they don`t go under because we all know what will happen, P&O will hike their prices and so will the tunnel operators :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
hi all

HI ALL
Thinking off booking with seafrance what do we all think will it be there in june :thumb:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Quote:As an apprentice in the late 60s the unions fought hard for simple things like a tea break and a locker room with washing facilities.. lets not forget that without the unions the working class would still doing a 60 hr week for peanuts, doffing their caps and calling the boss sir ..
Still doffing me cap and calling the boss SIR nobody told me any different
:Doh::Doh::Doh::winky::winky:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
if you do terry, make sure its on a credit card:winky:

Using a credit card may not be of any help I'm afraid. Purchase protection extends to purchases between £100 and £30,000 in value. So, if you have / get a cheap deal from SeaFrance (we have a return trip booked for £58) there will be no refund from the credit card issuer in the event of SeaFrance's liquidation.

Philip

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Using a credit card may not be of any help I'm afraid. Purchase protection extends to purchases between £100 and £30,000 in value. So, if you have / get a cheap deal from SeaFrance (we have a return trip booked for £58) there will be no refund from the credit card issuer in the event of SeaFrance's liquidation.

Philip

Oh dear,,, bit of a gamble then

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
WE go in June and SWMBO paid by charge card I think. Leaving that aside it still leaves another ferry to be book.

Maybe if they go bust I'll just bin the whole deal. I should have trusted my instinct and kept away from it.

Jim

:Smile:

OP
OP
D

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Does anyone have an update on the situation? we are due to travel Wednesday.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Hi

Crossed on Thursday with Sea France with absolutely no problem, if there was anything to pick up on at all it was how quiet the ferry was compared with crossing at a similar time with P.O last year. Maybe potential customers are playing safe and using alternatives.
Just hope our return journey with them in mid June is as uneventful

Happy to be in France Lynda and Alan

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
WE go in June and SWMBO paid by charge card I think. Leaving that aside it still leaves another ferry to be book.

Maybe if they go bust I'll just bin the whole deal. I should have trusted my instinct and kept away from it.

Jim

:Smile:

We're in the same boat (pun intended:winky:) for July. Can't decide whether to book another crossing and write off £80 but pre-empt P&O price rise/ over-booking or wait and see.

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
sea france

when the fast cat service went bust the other ferry companys took the tickets on their boats for a few weeks, after that they gave a very good discount, maybe the same will happen,, or L D Lines will step in quick, they sure as hell are picking up on P and Os portsmouth runs,, plus they now go dover bolougne,, lets hope:thumb:

snailsontour

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SeaFrance are working flat out at the moment due to the planes being grounded. I had to change my reservation due to father in law having had an operation and was lucky to get booked on a ferry for Sunday night. The telephone queue was over half an hour.
Bob

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ah well, proves it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good!!

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Great idea these strikes arnt they, cripple the company who wont give you a rise so your all out of work
Did strikes ever work:RollEyes:
BA anothor company that suffered the strike menace of late
Geo

Rather a general statement.

Without Trades Unions the general worker would have no rights, it would be a race to the bottom, and you would probably be living in a heap and working 16 hours per day 7 days a week.

Trades Unions like business are open to making mistakes, but that does not make trades Unions a menace. The real menace is bad management. Bad management drives terms and Conditions down that results in industrial action.

Mandelson recently said that there is a gene defect in British management (senior management). I have to agree with this comment. If we look at the history books written about British industry we see weak management that failed to produce reliable goods that the world wanted because their was a lack of investment in the products we produced because management was looking at the short term instead of the long term, and why was this? this was because British management was looking to line their own pockets in bonuses, which has resulted in thousands of businesses failing. These managers do not care about the failures because they take the bonus and move onto the next company to ruin.

The Japanese were asked in the 80's why they were using the British workforce, but not senor British management. They stated they considered the British workers to be the most versatile in the world, but refused to comment on why they would not use British management.

I can't believe you would ask "did strikes ever work" how on earth do you think you got the industrial rights you enjoy today?

The real menace in this country is appalling management in all industries that is dragging this country down to third world level. The tiger economies invest now, but do not expect a return on their money for 25 years, whilst our greedy elite line their pockets annually whilst our industries die, which results in the workers taking action.

Sorry about the emotion, but I am a shop steward fighting for the terms and conditions of our members.

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
we have a booking with Sea France in July.

If the French are consistent, they will not allow this business to go under.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999

The real menace in this country is appalling management in all industries that is dragging this country down to third world level. The tiger economies invest now, but do not expect a return on their money for 25 years, whilst our greedy elite line their pockets annually whilst our industries die, which results in the workers taking action.

Sorry about the emotion, but I am a shop steward fighting for the terms and conditions of our members.

I would never have guessed.

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
I agree with Motavator,, a strong managment and a strong union, then it works, but if either side is very weak, one takes control, i was a shop steward in the 70/80s in the bus industry, we saved jobs, we saved routes and we saved money which was shared by all of us,, but only because we were strong on both sides,, and both tred to see the others reasoning and point of view,, so lets hope that happens with sea france, because only one firm on route will not do us any good:Eeek::Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Without Trades Unions the general worker would have no rights, it would be a race to the bottom, and you would probably be living in a heap and working 16 hours per day 7 days a week.

I live in Mansfield
You could be onto something here:winky:
Our Miners now have all the rights in the world
Its no longer a race to the bottom
no more 16 hr days
No more 7 day weeks
there,e still living in a heap though cos theres
NO MORE MINES!!!!
Probably an easy target the Mines, sorry about that, and you will, I'm sure have equally convincing stories to tell
Your entitled to your views and I respect them

Being a BOSS:RollEyes: Me and the lad:ROFLMAO:Ill never see the trade union side, sorry
If a worker wants more pay better conditions he can ask
I then have a choice to make, so does he
Its a bit to heavy for the forum
We can discuss it over a pint or 6 at a meet:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
D

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/continental-touring/22534-seafrance-4.html#post275290

does anyone know if the ferry check in time has increased due to the demand put on by extra travellers due to volcanic ash problems.

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
We sailed back with Seafrance yesterday morning with no probs. Very busy though with all the stranded air passengers coming back via ferry.

We did look into changing to an earlier sailing, but didn't bother in the end, although they did say in the ticket office that booking in was now 1 hour before sailing not the usual 1/2 hour.

Prob best to check with Seafrance if you are sailing at the moment.

OP
OP
D

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/continental-touring/22534-seafrance-4.html#post275829

thanks blisters

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back