Tyre pressure what a difference a weighbridge makes (1 Viewer)

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Bought my van just over 2 years ago, only 18 month old and very low mileage. Been very happy in general but not with the handling, lot of road noise, light on the steering but a ‘hard’ ride, to be honest I have never felt comfortable with the handling, surprising as it is only a medium wheel based van conversion assumed it was my lack of experience and more susceptible to the wind (the van that is not me::bigsmile:)

Last week noticed the side wall of a front tyre was cracked so off to the local tyre garage who found both front tyre had sidewall cracks so two new front tyres:cry:. Speaking to the owner he only had experience of caravans not motorhomes but suggested that the cracks could be from the van been left parked for long periods of time at some point, also had heard of ‘flat spots’ causing some handling difficulties, also was not happy with the recommended tyre pressure in the manual and on the door pillar of 60 Ib.

On leaving the garage immediately noticed the difference, low road noise, responsive steering, much better handling:thumb:. So off to a weighbridge fully loaded to check axle loads.
Armed with the axle weights contacted Avon tyre to check their recommended tyre pressure. Their calculation

43lb in front and 47lb rear. So not much difference to the 60 lb then

colin

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers Colin.

So....How do you get to use a weighbridge?

I have seen vehicles pulled over by the police for "Random" weighing but never used one before.

Can you just turn up? 60 psi would certainly explain some sidewall cracking together with the ageing process of the rubber...

Steve.

green machine

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since April 2009.
Tyre Pressures

Hi Dencol :Smile:

I am having the same problems with my tyres. I have just replaced all fours with Avons. My first trip out was very different from before and was very noisey and felt hard (vibration) What is your axle weight fully loaded. I posted a message and was advised that I should put 65 in front and back, But the guy at the garage said the pressure should be 45 front & 50 rear. I have 65 all round at the moment.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated

Green Machine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Cheers Colin.

I have seen vehicles pulled over by the police for "Random" weighing but never used one before.

Can you just turn up? 60 psi would certainly explain some sidewall cracking together with the ageing process of the rubber...

Steve.

Have a look in your local Yellow Pages Steve and just give the places listed a ring. If nothing listed try your local council.

We used a local company - they just told us to turn up when we wanted to. That company charged about £12 for a certificate with the weights on and about half that for the weights written on plain paper (which was all we needed).

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Pappajohn uploaded a Motorhome Tyre Safety Leaflet. Contains all you need to know, including pressures. It's available from the Downloads section Link Removed.

Graham

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Have a look in your local Yellow Pages Steve and just give the places listed a ring. If nothing listed try your local council.

We used a local company - they just told us to turn up when we wanted to. That company charged about £12 for a certificate with the weights on and about half that for the weights written on plain paper (which was all we needed).

Graham

I just turn-up at the local (large) builders yard, drive on, get weighed, pay £2.50p and drive off with the print-out!

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
In answer to 'how do I use weighbidge'-

I contact my local council and was given the addresses of the landfill sites where they have weighbridges to weigh the refuse lorries before they unload. I just rolled up asked the operator what to do, he asked if I wanted a verbal or printed figure, charged me a fiver for printed sheet.

Last edited:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Weighbridge

Cheers Colin.

Steve.

I called the council and they gave me names etc of local weighbridges Quite surprised to see so many around Plymouth Called them, turned up paid £5 and had job done and with 3 certificates issued Really worth it as I found I was over loaded on rear axle by 50lb, Dumped blue water and all ok for my trip to Spain!!
:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
not happy with the recommended tyre pressure in the manual and on the door pillar of 60 Ib.

Armed with the axle weights contacted Avon tyre to check their recommended tyre pressure. Their calculation

43lb in front and 47lb rear. So not much difference to the 60 lb then
colin

You are in a no win situation there. Assume a blow out. Police measure pressures. They read 43 your door says 60.

Where does that leave you with the Police and insurers ?

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
You are in a no win situation there. Assume a blow out. Police measure pressures. They read 43 your door says 60.

On direct advice from Michelin, I'm running my tyres at well below the sticker/handbook pressure, and have done for the last 6 years or so. Both handling and ride improved dramatically.

I did make sure that I got written confirmation by email, such that I have evidence should I need it.

Frankly, given the history of nearly ALL tyre manufacturers recommending motorhome tyre pressures significantly lower than the vehicle manufacturer, the clear guidelines for motorhomes available on the British Tyre Manufacturers Association website, and the specific recommendation from the tyre manufacturer for my particular type of vehicle and axle loadings, I'd be quite prepared to fight it out with both the police, and my insurance company.

Given the background, I would expect there to be no contest, but I wouldn't expect either of them to pursue things in the first instance.

And I could argue with all my fillings intact. :roflmto:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The specification from Elddis gives our pressures as 44 psi, which agrees with the motorhome tyre safety leaflet. Any query and I would point to that rather than the door sticker put on by Peugeot who had no idea at the time what the vehicle would be used for.

Graham

OP
OP
dencol

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Cheers Colin.

Steve.

Hi
I emailed the local council who gave me an out of date list? but also the contact number for the weighbridge at the local tip. Suggest try local council. When I rang the tip they could not be more helpful and suggested quiet times and on arrival told them I wanted total and individual axle weights. They then provided a print out, only problem they do not have change / cash till so worth checking price and having the correct money with you.

Re the difference in pressures to the door plate. Have made a few enquiries including local traffic department. Would appear that the plate shows manufacturers initial recommendation based on their idea of the vans use. It was 'suggested' that I carry original (or copy) of the weighbridge ticket and emails from company showing their calculation / recommendation for the type of tyres and weight this will prove I have taken all reasonable steps and would be acceptable.

Before going to the weighbridge I did load up everything I would need for a weeks holiday including full tank of fuel, 3/4 full tank of water, 1/4 tank waste water and 1/2 full toilet cassette.

I did also find that Avon tyres website had a spreadsheet giving tyre pressures based on weights so downloaded this as well in case stopped.

One thing that did suprise me was when I checked the plate re vehicle weights (mine is under the bonnet by the water filler cap). Peugeot had the vehicle plated at 2900kg but Autosleeper had replated at 3300kg yet the log book shows 3.5ton. I am well under for autosleepers plate but would have been overweight on the original plate.

Colin

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My local council tip charge nothing for a 'verbal', but they scribble it on a scrap of paper. What is a print-out worth anyway, because the next trip you may be loaded very differently.

As for getting axle weights, drive front axle on, let them note weight , drive both axles on, note weight, then rear axle is total minus front, saves time when they are doing it for free. Also if there are paying customers around I would always offer to wait for a gap in traffic-only polite and keeps the system free in both senses.

Geoff

Free Member
Oct 4, 2009
Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A big cause of sidewall cracking is sunlight breking down the compound. If you are always parked in the same position, it is worth cutting some 6mm ply and shielding your tyres.

If your van is not being used much, there is no harm in putting an extra 5 to 10 lbs of pressure in the tyres to prevent flat spots or didtortion.

The only gauranteed way of getting the correct tyre pressures is to weigh the van and ask the manufacturers. I found this out the hard way. My Elddis Autoquest had 80 psi in all tyres and was a death trap to drive. The Explorer Group website said the pressure should be in the 40`s psi. This was way too soft and just as dangerous. I weighed the van and contacted Michelin and got the figure of 55 psi which made a huge difference.

Remember that the wrong tyre pressures can have a big affect on MPG also.

Just make sure your van is fully laden when getting it weighed.

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
For those passing using the A23 Sussex Nr Handcross, there is a free weigh bridge on the north bound lane of the A23.

Pull off A23 (north bound lane) into Handcross, The weighbridge is immediately in front of you.

Stop by the sign,

Press Button, large sign will tell you when ready to go.

Drive first axle onto balance plates, Sign will display load,

Drive second axle. ditto.

Drive off and sign will give total weight (both axles added together)

To check again, you will have to reverse back through the station (not difficult) otherwise its a round trip to Peas Pottage, down to Bolney and up the A23 again !!

Rgds

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers Colin.

Steve.

here you go steve.....knock yer self out choosing one

Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For anyone going near the Humber Bridge there's a weighbridge immediately before you go onto the bridge from the north, it's located on the left before the toll boths, looks like a lay-by. You just go into the layby and read the info, press the button and do as it says. You can then drive off and cross through the central reservation to go back in a northerly direction if you're not wanting to cross the bridge. Easy peasy - I'd only recommend going at a weekend or evening though as it is in use during the day by VOSA so you won't get on it ... not willingly anyway!!!:Eeek:

Mastodon

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Funster No
I use the Yorks Trading Standards weighbridge in Morley (W Leeds) open 24/7, just roll over it and write down the numbers. We always check with water and fuel full so we know the worst case...

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

Hi Hilldweller,

Couldn't you just produce the weighbridge pressures and data from the tyre manufacturers?

The tyres could have already been stressed by the previous higher pressures causing a possible delamination of tread or "blow-out".We had one go because of this....It wasn't too old either...

I'd like to think the Tyre manufacturers loading and pressure data is more accurate than a figure on the door pillar?

BTW what are the pressures on a garage inflation data sheet for the "van"?

Steve.

Thanks all for answering my question about weigh bridges.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Hilldweller,
Couldn't you just produce the weighbridge pressures and data from the tyre manufacturers?
Steve.

I'm playing devil's advocate in this barmy world.

Remember we are EU now and *everything* is CE regulated and certified. So if the vehicle makers says 5.1 bar and the tyre maker says 4.5 bar where do you stand ? The tyre maker did not certify the vehicle.

You may even be using illegal tyres if the manufacturer stated Pirelli ( as any good Italian would ) and you fit Avons.

It's a nightmare.

The blow out could be caused by debris on the road, so no use thinking it can't happen because the tyre maker is correct.

Ours run at 72psi, when we took delivery (SH) they were well down, pumping them up improved the handling no end. The Michelin carcass says 80 psi max.

So the bottom line whatever you do is get all the documentation printed off stored, you may need it, badly.

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
There is some useful info. here and sometimes you just have to suck it and see. My MH paperwork was altered from 70 all round to 60 and from looking back it had in the past been 80. Tyres should deform slightly when inflated correctly but driving a bit and letting air till it handles well and in particular cornering and braking. I notice that the supplier always sets the pressure to 70 all round and I let air out until I have 60 front 65 in rear. Over 3 years there is no sign of centre wear or corner wear. Also I dont feel that I am knocking the heck out the bearings either, because at 80 psi I may as well use solid tyres.

HarryM

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
After reading most of the correspondence on this site regarding tyre pressures and having different pressures posted in the van I asked Michelin for their recommendation, the reply is posted below.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We suggest that individual axle weights from weigh scale readings are used, in order to calculate pressure recommendations for each quoted load condition. These would be preferred, due to readings being taken in the actual vehicle 'running' condition - that is to say, with all water/fuel/baggage & passengers etc. onboard - and may result in better comfort if the vehicle is running way below maximum capacity.

The results of roadside surveys indicate that some motor homes have been found to be over laden, especially the rear axle, with potential for subsequent tyre related problems.

The overall tyre industry, therefore, tries to build-in a safety factor by fitting strong tyres, inflated to high pressure, in order to remove the potential for consequences of overloading &/or under-inflating the tyres.

The drawback of this safety factor, at the corresponding high pressure, may be an extremely hard ride. The contents of the motor home may rattle, but the tyres will cope nicely.

One 'overall' weight is of no use in calculating tyre inflation pressure levels, since the vehicle may appear to be within the maximum permitted, but in reality may have the rear axle severely over laden & the front axle very lightly laden.

As a guideline from the axle weights that you have supplied on tyre size 215/70 R15C and being the Michelin XC Camping, the pressures for those weights are as follows:-

Front axle load of 1480kg the pressure should be – 50psi (pounds per square inch)
Rear axle load of 1690kg the pressure should be – 80psi (pounds per square inch)

You would be advised to follow the manufacturers recommended pressures, indicated on the fuel cap / door-pillar / vehicle handbook in relation to the tyre size fitted – specifications can change without our knowledge.

We have allocated your message the reference number indicated above. If you need to contact us again regarding your message, we would be grateful if you could include the reference number.

Once again thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back