Brenner Pass - Non-Motorway road (1 Viewer)

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
Has anyone used the ordinary (non-motorway) road (the 182 from Innsbruck - which becomes the S12 in Italy, to cross the Brenner.
I've used the motorway over the pass in past years, but thought we might try the other road if it's OK.
We have a Hymer 552 TCL with bike on the back - overall length about 24 feet.
I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has used this route.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
I've used it to transit from Italy to Germany without tolls, but it was some years ago.

AFAIR, it was a relatively easy, if somewhat winding, route.

The roads get a bit complicated at the Innsbruck end (easy to get sucked onto the Autobahn), but I would certainly attempt it again.

TishF650

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Funster No
Exp
1st year
Hi,

We came that way beginning of Nov this year.

It's not the length of van that's a problem it's the weight limits. Signs prohibit anything over 3.5 tonne (without permission). It's not easy to find the start of the road in Innsbruck as the authorities seem determined to force you onto the motorway so they can charge high tolls or fines if you're over 3.5T and don't have a Go Box.

That said I believe the new toll system has now come in but we haven't looked into that yet.

So yes it's possible and not very difficult but it does take longer than the motorway route.

You can see our version of events at

Link Removed

Hope that link worked, if not it's entry number 10 under "Latest" at

www.thewordisourlobster.com

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Hi,

It's not the length of van that's a problem it's the weight limits. Signs prohibit anything over 3.5 tonne (without permission). It's not easy to find the start of the road in Innsbruck as the authorities seem determined to force you onto the motorway so they can charge high tolls or fines if you're over 3.5T and don't have a Go Box.

Chris

As might be implied from my post above, i've been caught by this issue both here and elsewhere in Austria.

It's worthwhile noting what I picked up from another forum, and have posted elsewhere on this site.

Backed by the Austrian authorities, it would appear that a 3.5t limit by itself applies to all vehicles (fairly logically), whilst one associated with the picture of a truck would be applied by the Austrians to HGVs only (and they would not see a motorhome over 3.5t as being an HGV, despite its UK PHGV status).

Not sure what the signs on the Brenner are like (oh for Google Streetview in Austria), but this might help.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Be careful: AFAIK the standard motorway tolls do not apply to the Brenner motorway, for which an additional toll is payable.

For up to 3.5t the vignette is not valid and an additional toll of around euro 8 is payable.

For over 3.5t, the normal per km rate for the GO Box is suspended, and it will cost in the order of euro 28-30 for the stretch from Innsbruck to the border, depending on emissions category.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Seriously looks like we will be giving Austria a wide berth for the foreseeable future, I would have thought that they derive a lot of income from holiday makers including those with motorhomes, but it seems if your motorhome weight is over 3500kg they don't want you to visit or pass through.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Hi,

Seriously looks like we will be giving Austria a wide berth for the foreseeable future, I would have thought that they derive a lot of income from holiday makers including those with motorhomes, but it seems if your motorhome weight is over 3500kg they don't want you to visit or pass through.

I must agree.

Prior to the change in rules, and owning a 'van over 3.5t, Austria was probably our favourite destination for our main annual break.

Since then, in eight years we have only visited once.

In theory, you can manage without using the Autobahns; In practice, my experience has been a plethora of 3.5t limits on other roads - but see my post above on this which might change my opinion a bit.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Taking some information from a similar thread on another forum together with discussions with people who have used the old Brenner pass a few years ago I have plotted a route on Autoroute 2007 which avoids the motorways from Fussen to Lake Garda, which I would appreciate comments on as we are seriously thinking about using it in the next few weeks.

Taking this with the suggestion above that the motorway portion of the New Brenner Pass is charged separately to the normal over 3500kg rates, would this imply that if my route didn't pan out in certain places I could perhaps hop on and off the new Brenner Pass only paying for the part that I used ? as that would perhaps make it more acceptable for taking a chance as we are 4000kg and the normal Go Box rates appear extortionate.

I have attached a Autoroute 2007 file (Ziped hope it works) that shows my proposed route around Innsbruck avoiding the motorways and also contains all of the ASCI Camping card 2010 sites as push pins

Any comments would be welcome, as from what I have been told the old Brenner Pass is a very scenic route.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Hi,

Taking this with the suggestion above that the motorway portion of the New Brenner Pass is charged separately to the normal over 3500kg rates, would this imply that if my route didn't pan out in certain places I could perhaps hop on and off the new Brenner Pass only paying for the part that I used ? as that would perhaps make it more acceptable for taking a chance as we are 4000kg and the normal Go Box rates appear extortionate.

Don't think this would work for you. I was trying to be careful in my wording in a previous post. For Innsbruck to the border on the Brenner Motorway, I believe you will still need a Go-Box, but it will not charge you the standard per-kilometre rate for that stretch. It is a special toll route, for which a single fixed rate is charged of something up to euro 30 inc Vat, depending on your emissions category.

See Link Removed and check if your intepretation is the same - the maps elsewhere on this site also imply a Go-Box is required for that stretch.

Can't see your attachment, so can't comment.

Recent postings on other forums imply the old Brenner road is still quite usable, though you may have to ignore any 3.5t 'truck' signs, see my previous post.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It is a special toll route, for which a single fixed rate is charged of something up to euro 30 inc Vat, depending on your emissions category.

We moan about GB but these foreigners have caught on to the rip off culture. In many ways it's worse over on mainland Europe because hopping from country to country is commonplace and now you get nicely shafted by each one.

Emission charge - what nonsense. If a vehicle is very polluting, charging does not make it less polluting. You've never seen "this building has asbestos so we'll put up the rates" have you.

We rode the Brenner pass 6 years ago, what sticks in my mind is excellent twisty biker road. Perspective might be totally different in a MH.

It seems to me that the Swiss deal for >4t is better than farting around trying to get some Austrian electronic wallet lightening tool. But if he needs Austria then he needs Austria.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
Reading this post with interest as we are going to Lake Garda in July, as we are getting off ferry in rotterdam we thought going via Austria to be best route plus we've never been before.
We are under 3.5t so what do i need iif anything im not fussy about motorways as we have loads of time to get there. I had hoped to go via the Brenner pass but not the toll road.

Advice more than welcome
Gerry

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I have emailed the "GO" or what ever they are called regarding the need for a Go Box, and whether I could obtain one at the motorway junction if i needed to use it ? if I get an answer I will post it.

On using their online calculator the price does reduce the further down the Brenner Autoroute you go (or the nearer Italy you get before having to perhaps use it) so the longer you can stay on the B182 the better. From Natter just south of Innsbruck to Italy for Euro III 2 axle works out at €24.38 plus VAT I believe and if you got as far as Schonberg im Stubaital before having to join it was €17.58 plus VAT.

The other question I'm a bit confused about is the payment systems for the Go Box as if we do need to get one when we enter Austria rather than when we enter a motorway, if we were successful in getting through without using a motorway/toll road would we get our money back ? anyone know (Sounds a bit like the great escape:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And thanks for the heads up on the 3.5ton signs that does look helpful especially if they show a lorry.

I am still trying to reduce the size of the AXE file i have zipped it up but its still to big any suggestions

Don't think this would work for you. I was trying to be careful in my wording in a previous post. For Innsbruck to the border on the Brenner Motorway, I believe you will still need a Go-Box, but it will not charge you the standard per-kilometre rate for that stretch. It is a special toll route, for which a single fixed rate is charged of something up to euro 30 inc Vat, depending on your emissions category.

See Link Removed and check if your intepretation is the same - the maps elsewhere on this site also imply a Go-Box is required for that stretch.

Can't see your attachment, so can't comment.

Recent postings on other forums imply the old Brenner road is still quite usable, though you may have to ignore any 3.5t 'truck' signs, see my previous post.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
There is the ability to research purchase points on the GO-Maut site. There is one at Innsbruck-Sud, one at Schonberg, and one at Gries as you head down (up?) the valley.

I haven't used a Go-Box since they were introduced (a pity, since Austria used to get a lot of my Holiday money previously) so didn't know what the return procedure was. Deep in the supporting documents of the associated ASFINAG site is the pukka gen.

"If there is still some unused toll credit when the GO-Box is returned (only applies to the pre-pay
procedure), this sum will be refunded, whereby any unpaid tolls will be invoiced separately in
accordance with section 7.3, retroactive billing.
If the unused toll credit is less than the last amount with which the GO-Box was charged (toll
credit top-up), the money will be refunded using the means of payment that was last used to
charge the GO-Box. In other words, the money will either be refunded in cash (whereby payment
with Quick Chip is the same as cash payment), credited to a petrol card or credit card or, in the
event of payment using Maestro, by means of a transfer to the customer’s bank account. If the
unused toll credit is greater than the last amount with which the GO-Box was charged, the last
amount with which the GO-Box was charged will be refunded using the means of payment that
was last used to charge the GO-Box. The difference between the toll credit and the last amount
with which the GO-Box was charged, on the other hand, will be refunded using the means of
payment that was used to charge the GO-Box on the last but one occasion. This refund
procedure, which is necessary as a result of the current terms and conditions of use for credit
cards and petrol card, will be repeated in this manner until such time as the entire toll credit has
been refunded.
If a GO-Box for the pre-pay procedure is sent by post to ASFINAG Maut Service GmbH, any
unused toll credit is only credited to the customer’s account if name, address, and bank account
details including name of the account holder, IBAN, and BIC (if the GO-Box toll credit was topped
up using cash, Maestro, or Quick Chip) are provided.
Refunds are only credited to the customer’s bank account when the unused toll credit exceeds
€ 5.00."

So it would seem that you do get a refund of unused credit (less, I would assume, the euro 5 initial charge for the box). Easiest way would be on finally leaving Austria at a purchase point.

Hope this helps - I'd still go for the full non-motorway route if I were you.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Robinhood

Thanks for the info really helpful, and it certainly answers one of my main questions as it did look that I could stand to lose around €55 if I only used it from Innsbruck into Italy and returned via another country.

I have been looking at the Pre-Pay against the Post-Pay as it seems that if you can sign up to the Post-pay then they just bill you for what you use, or that's what it seems to me, albeit I can't really understand if its possible to sign up to the post pay at the same time as obtaining the Go-Box. It appears on the surface to be the best way, if I happen to have to go onto a tolled road then they can bill me but if I manage to get through without, no-charge.

The main reason I'm interested in looking at this route is that we missed some places on our journey down the Romantic Road last year and would like to go back again and see some of them, and that will drop us into Fussen. So logically the route through Austria would suit us and as we are over 3500kg we are looking at the most cost affective way through, I have said before people have told us that the old Brenner Pass is a really nice and scenic way to go, hope they are correct.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Post-pay used to be (and probably still is) Austrian issued Credit Card only (and possibly American Express would do nicely!).

edit : Yes, only Austrian issued mastercard and visa, any American Express or Diners Card appears to be the rule.

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Gerry

Missed your post, if you intend to use motorways in Austria you will need to purchase a Vignette all of the information and prices can be found here Link Removed ,

From information I have gained from different sources it appears it may be possible to cross Austria without touching a motorway/toll road, which hopefully will make it free, and that's what this discussion is generally about, albeit motorhomes over 3500kg have different toll charges to those shown in the link I gave above.

At the moment it looks very likely that we may try the toll free route, for a bit of fun and so I'm told some very nice scenery. I'm just contemplating the options I have just in case the non motorway route I have chosen is blocked needing a detour which involves me ending up on a motorway .

I have plotted a route on Microsoft's Autoroute 2007 but I can't seem to make in small enough to be allowed to upload it for comments, but I will continue to try.

hope that makes sense of the thread

Hi
Reading this post with interest as we are going to Lake Garda in July, as we are getting off ferry in rotterdam we thought going via Austria to be best route plus we've never been before.
We are under 3.5t so what do i need iif anything im not fussy about motorways as we have loads of time to get there. I had hoped to go via the Brenner pass but not the toll road.

Advice more than welcome
Gerry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks braunston i have had a look at the link seems ok price wise for under 3.5t i would be interested in seeing your route you have planned out so hopefully you will be able to load it.

Gerry

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Hopefully this will work I have made the axe autoroute file into a zip format using 7zip, I have left a few ACSi campingcard sites near the route shown with push pins which may be useful as a stop over.

If someone who knows the route could double check it for me I would appreciate it, I believe it's the old Brenner Pass itself mainly with a bit of maneuvering around Innsbruck.

Fussen to Lake Garda via non toll roads across Austria (Hopefully)

Thanks

Attachments

• Füssen to Garda Via Austria No Tolls.zip
    15.4 KB · Views: 38

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
If you want to get from Austria to Italy toll free then you could follow a route I have used several times.

From Fussen via Reutte and the Fern Pass on the 179 at Nassereith you turn off towards Imst on the 189. Then head for Landeck on the 171, go through the town and not the tunnel as it's a toll road, then on the 180 up through Prutz, where there is a very nice ACSI campsite, and then over the Reschen Pass ( Resia ) into Italy. You can then follow the main road number 40 which changes to 38 to Merano and then to Bolzano and then join the Italian motorway A22/E45 down through Trento to Lake Garda. Road number 12 runs alongside the motorway so you can use that if you want to avoid Italian tolls.

Phil.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Phil

Sounds like a great idea/route is it suitable for a 7.5 metre MH and what are the roads like in general, any information on road conditions steep climbs etc would be very helpful

Thanks

If you want to get from Austria to Italy toll free then you could follow a route I have used several times.

From Fussen via Reutte and the Fern Pass on the 179 at Nassereith you turn off towards Imst on the 189. Then head for Landeck on the 171, go through the town and not the tunnel as it's a toll road, then on the 180 up through Prutz, where there is a very nice ACSI campsite, and then over the Reschen Pass ( Resia ) into Italy. You can then follow the main road number 40 which changes to 38 to Merano and then to Bolzano and then join the Italian motorway A22/E45 down through Trento to Lake Garda. Road number 12 runs alongside the motorway so you can use that if you want to avoid Italian tolls.

Phil.

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
It's a very easy crossing, not particularly steep or twisty. I guess it's about the same as the Brenner Pass. Although it is not particularly busy I have seen some quite big stuff using it, I wouldn't think any motorhome would have difficulty.

The road from Fussen is clearly sign posted that it is not a toll road.

Phil.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Brenner ...

Hi, the Resia is ideal, we visit Garda area most years, very friendly farmers with lots of home made wines:thumb:

Regards Richard

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Again I have mapped out Phil's suggested route on Google Maps and it all apears to work well, but when I send the link it loses the "Show Options" "Avoid Tolls" is there a way of saving this ?, I have posted a link to the map below if you go to the "Show Options" and then select "Avoid Tools" it should recalculate the correct route,

It may show 2 routes the shorter one looks more like the route in Phil's suggestion

The start point is the road in Fussen with 3 Stelplatz and the finish is at Resia, (Had problems with Resia as there are more than one in Italy hopefully this is the correct one)

Be helpful if someone could check if its correct,

Driving Directions
Link: <http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=3+Fussen+Stelplatz's+%4047.58255439169858,10.703494548797607&daddr=Hauptstrasse%2FSS40&geocode=FVoN1gIdh1KjAA%3BFe2QygIdLnWgAA&hl=en&mra=ls&dirflg=d&sll=47.10098,10.658112&sspn=0.331389,0.585709&ie=UTF8&ll=47.197178,10.681458&spn=1.323146,2.342834&t=h&z=9>

Start address: 3 Fussen Stelplatz's
End address: Hauptstrasse/SS40

Start at: 3 Fussen Stelplatz's

1. Head northeast on Abt-Hafner-Straße toward Hopfener Str./St2008 - 32 m
2. Turn right at Hopfener Str./St2008 - 290 m
3. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Augsburger Str./B16 heading to Kaufbeuren/Kempten/B310 - 350 m
4. Turn left at B310 (signs for A7/Ulm/B310/Pfronten/Kempten/Weißensee) - 3.8 km
5. Slight right onto the ramp to Reutte/Tirol - 400 m
6. Merge onto A7 Entering Austria - 1.8 km
7. Continue onto B179/Fernpaß-Bundesstraße Continue to follow B179 - 48.7 km
8. Take the ramp to Imst/Tarrenz/Nassereith - 220 m
9. Merge onto B189/Mieminger-Bundesstraße - 11.5 km
10. Take the ramp onto B171/Bundesstr./Tiroler-Bundesstraße Continue to follow B171/Tiroler-Bundesstraße Go through 3 roundabouts - 18.6 km
11. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit and stay on B171/Tiroler-Bundesstraße - 130 m
12. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Innstr. - 550 m
13. Turn right at Malser Str. - 3.6 km
14. Continue onto Urgen - 800 m
15. Continue onto Nesselgarten - 1.3 km
16. Continue onto Zoll - 850 m
17. Take the ramp onto B180/Reschen-Bundesstraße Continue to follow B180 Entering Italy - 39.3 km
18. Continue onto SS40 - 2.3 km

Arrive at: Hauptstrasse/SS40

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Been doing a bit more research into the use of non toll roads through Austria and found the "touring24" German/Austrian web site forum very helpful with some very helpful people similar to this forum.

If you have Google toolbar installed and set to translate German/English and go to the link below you will find some very helpful information froma lady who lives in Austria and a couple of other people who have confirmed it is possible to transit Austria via non toll roads and that the >3.5T signs generally don't apply to motorhomes in Austria (It seems if they have a photo of a truck they only apply to commercial vehicles, also confirmed on OAL)

http://forum2.touring24.info/wbb3/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3364

It looks like we will be trying it soon.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Just to update you all, we entered Austria from Mittewald and exited at Brennero via Innsbruck using non motorway roads and the journey was completely un-eventful no problems at all. The non motorway Brenner Pass B182 is extremly well sign posted through Innsbruck and the road its self is a non event in terms of diffeculty etc, However there are some fantastic villages that you pass through and the motorway appears miles in the sky above you, really nice easy, non scary route, no hairpin bends etc. and the cheapest way into an out of Italy, we would use it again albeit we were not that keen on Italy, but each to there own.

Hope that helps anyone thinking of trying to go without buying a Vignette or GoBox you don't need either if you stay off the motorways.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back