Spanish Experts!!!!!!!!?????????/ (1 Viewer)

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Hiya i am trying to get some info. I have an N.I.E. number in Spain and am interested in finding out the "cheapest" way to stay legal with my cars. Currently they are taken home for an MOT. taxed and insured in the UK. , this is an expensive way of trying to remain legal, ie driving home -tolls,petrol,hotels,ferry etc. I dont want to face the problem of getting a Spanish registration as i know its an admin. nightmare, is it true that i can get an ITV.? -------a vehicle test , then insure the car on UK. plates in Spain? pls. help AL

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hiya i am trying to get some info. I have an N.I.E. number in Spain and am interested in finding out the "cheapest" way to stay legal with my cars. Currently they are taken home for an MOT. taxed and insured in the UK. , this is an expensive way of trying to remain legal, ie driving home -tolls,petrol,hotels,ferry etc. I dont want to face the problem of getting a Spanish registration as i know its an admin. nightmare, is it true that i can get an ITV.? -------a vehicle test , then insure the car on UK. plates in Spain? pls. help AL

Yes you can put a vehicle on UK plates through an ITV and yes you can get insurance. What you can't do is get a UK tax disc without a valid MOT. So it is not road legal in any country without it.
You can buy an MOT certificate in Spain for around £300 or so, but that is aiding and abetting a criminal offence, in the UK.
So it's either run it illegally or bite the bullet and take it back to the UK for the MOT, or get it on Spanish plates.
There is no other way around it, no matter what some expats may tell you.

Pete:Cool:
PS I see you have a 5th wheel which will also have to be registered and tested as a separate vehicle if you go down the Spanish plates route. In Spain a tow bar is classed as a modification and it must be shown as such on the vehicle documents. If not then it cannot be ITV'd.

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: You CANNOT have an ITV or Spanish Insurance on a British registered vehicle and be legal, The Vehicle must compy with the country of where it is registered. MOT, Insurance and Road fund tax/licence/whatever they call it when they want to. You CAN have Spanish insurance, but it will NOT be legal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
:Smile: You CANNOT have an ITV or Spanish Insurance on a British registered vehicle and be legal, The Vehicle must compy with the country of where it is registered. MOT, Insurance and Road fund tax/licence/whatever they call it when they want to. You CAN have Spanish insurance, but it will NOT be legal.

You can have an ITV on a English reg car and Insurance what you cant do is Pay the Suma witch makes you not legal on the Spanish roads its just makes a joke of the whole thing here. Best way to be legal here is sale you English reg Car and buy a Spanish one Or change you car over to Spanish reg Its not that hard to do About 700euros I think but not to sure on that. Plus you have to change the lights for the ITV MOT:thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
You can have an ITV on a English reg car and Insurance what you cant do is Pay the Suma witch makes you not legal on the Spanish roads its just makes a joke of the whole thing here. Best way to be legal here is sale you English reg Car and buy a Spanish one Or change you car over to Spanish reg Its not that hard to do About 700euros I think but not to sure on that. Plus you have to change the lights for the ITV MOT:thumb:

:ROFLMAO: I thought I had said that in a reverse way? You CAN, BUT you CANNOT be LEGAL. :roflmto:

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
sorry bad day see what the bloody rain makes you do here:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Spanish law states that if your foreign vehicle is in Spain for longer than six months it should be imported to remain legal. A spanish itv is not legal on a british car, and whilst you may be able to have one done, and take out insurance if you have an accident it is doubtful if the insurance company will pay out.
Spain is in crisis like many other countries and the ajuntamientos do not have the money they normally had coming in from building licenses etc, the police are making up money where they can, and whilst years ago they would more often than not turn a blind eye to infringements, they are now more keen than ever to fine the offender.
Why not buy a Spanish vehicle? Much easier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back