Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Looking in January MMM I noted "Raskelf" sell memory foam toppers and we wish to purchase one for our M/H It would have to be rolled up in the morning and stowed under the seat etc.

Anyone had any dealings with them and what about the the product.
Any comments appreciated:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Looking in January MMM I noted "Raskelf" sell memory foam toppers and we wish to purchase one for our M/H It would have to be rolled up in the morning and stowed under the seat etc.

Hi Geoff,

We're looking at possibly buying a couple too.

There's so many out there, any advice would be appreciated.

(Looking around a 3" thick one.):thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I got mine off flebay, well pleased with it, but they are heavy and take up a lot off room if you need to store it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Earlybirds

A couple of early birds like me up early to get more done on another splendid sun lit morning.
Wife still snoring away upstairs.
Taking van into Marquis Lee Mill for some small warranty jobs and have 2 dogs on loan to walk.:thumb:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
We tried some mattress toppers but found them prone to getting very warm
This may be ok for winter use but far too hot for the summer
We now use a doubled sleeping bag under the bottom sheet and find this works very well
Could be worth a try before spending your had earned

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Hi
We tried some mattress toppers but found them prone to getting very warm
This may be ok for winter use but far too hot for the summer
We now use a doubled sleeping bag under the bottom sheet and find this works very well
Could be worth a try before spending your had earned

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Funny you say that, we've been looking at getting a mattress topper but someone we know bought a new mattress (for home) that was half spring/half memory foam and the salesman told them to use the spring side in the summer and foam side in the winter. When they first used it they had to turn heating off as they were getting warm.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, I have been looking to buy one also, but it does seem from some of the searches I have found that the temperature problem seems to be quiet common, so we went for a normal sprung mattress, but obviously that would be a problem if you needed to store it away.

Ikea used to sell mattress toppers that weren't memory foam, not sure if they would still have the temperature problem ? you may also be able to roll them up

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We were thinking about getting a topper for the fixed bed in our motorhome. However, we decided to try out some advice read on the forum first, which was to put a high tog duvet on the mattress instead. In fact, we have two and it's extremely comfortable for us. An added bonus is that if it gets too cold, you can use one of the (topper) duvets as a second one on top.

Wadems

Free Member
Mar 16, 2010
UK
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
Hi, I have been looking to buy one also, but it does seem from some of the searches I have found that the temperature problem seems to be quiet common, so we went for a normal sprung mattress, but obviously that would be a problem if you needed to store it away.

Ikea used to sell mattress toppers that weren't memory foam, not sure if they would still have the temperature problem ? you may also be able to roll them up

We have an IKEA mattress topper in a Bessy560. Have used it summer and winter - absolutely wonderful. In summer just remember to turn your water heater off if its under the bed!!!:ROFLMAO:

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Toppers

If you don't have a permanent bed and your bed is made up of jig-saw bits of seats etc. then a topper is a godsend. We bought a 3cm memory foam from T.J. Hughes in Kings Lynn for £60 and it has made a tremendous difference. For storage I just fold it in four and stow it on the over-cab bed and put the other bedding on top of it.
Good luck.

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
Bought a Raskelf topper for our Hymer and it was so fantastically comfortable we ended up buying one for home too! Found them a great company to deal with. Haven't checked but they will probably be at P'boro show and tend to offer discount at shows. They cut ours to exact size and made cover to match at no extra cost. I know some people say they find them too hot in summer but we haven't had a problem with this.
Cheers

Hopesy

Free Member
Nov 5, 2008
South Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We started out with a duvet on top of the bed cushions (sunseeker 115). We then bought a memory foam mattress topper (double size) and found it to be brilliant however because of the size it was impracticle so this is on the bed at home now. We then got some cheap 2" foam it two strips and roll them up for under the seat storage, this foam may not be as good as the memory foam but it's all we want, try the cheap option first, if you don't like it you've only lost a couple of quid but i bet you don't go back.:thumb:

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
good thread

Good advice there and as we are off to Yorkshire soon may well pop into their factory :Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had memory foam toppers for many a year now. The first we bought was at the NEC for £99 for our bed at home (kingsize) which came with a zipped cover - brilliant! :Smile:

The second one (double with zipped cover) cost us £38 from the local market and is the one we use in the motorhome as the fixed bed is a bit firm!!! Despite the cheap cost it is still going strong 3 years later and has a lot of life left in it yet! :thumb:

We've just replaced the one at home with another one from the NEC which cost £80 (kingsize). The only reason we have replaced it is because the side edges got 'nibbled', if I'd realised I would've cut about an inch or so off it as it overhung the edge of the bed a little and we 'cracked' the foam getting in and out. It's still perfectly usable though so I've cut it down to fit our double guest bed.

They do get a bit warm at times but as I'm a coldie anyway I'm more than happy, hubby just throws some of the covers off!

We tried the duvet under the sheet trick but found that after a bit of time it squashed down or went lumpy and making the fixed bed can be 'challenging' at the best of times and I soon got fed up with wrestling with it, hence the memory foam topper!!!

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We found the fixed bed matress in the new Frankia rock hard.

We bought a 6cm memory foam topper at the Newark show. Double with zip off washable cover £70.
I could weep... I didn't buy one years ago1

I am sleeping every night for 7 hours instead of 4/5/6 fitfully, and realise why everyone else looks refreshed because they have had good quality sleep.
Yes it is heavy. Yes it is warm but I am always cold so that is no hardship.
Have taken it away from MH storage and using it on the bed. HWMBO is now looking for one to keep at hoe.
Best nights' sleep in 20 years.
Lucille

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Like others I found sleeping on a memory foam thing on top of the standard mattress got me very hot indeed !! ( :Eeek:::bigsmile: )

Sooooooooo

I put the topper UNDER the standard mattress.. Stonking !
No undue heat, the full effect of the memory foam somewhat tempered , but all in all a really comfy option

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
We've also been thinking about buying a mattress topper but were worried about the problem with getting too warm.

Found this one which suposedly has a cool cover. Anyone tried it?

Link Removed

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Found one

Wife went into Edinburgh Wool outlet at Lee Mill nr Plymouth yesterday and purchased a 1" memory foam topper. RRP was £99.99 reduced to £45 and bought it at £43. Worth looking if one is near an outlet and looking for a topper etc::bigsmile:.

rayncaz

Free Member
Apr 15, 2010
barrow in furness
Funster No
hi all, i,m glad you asked this geoff as we are looking for one, i dont think it will be memory foam as it sounds like they get warm, no good for ray but i would love it as i,m always cold as the saying goes cold hands warm heart ::bigsmile: can you put one of them vote things on, so everyone who knows can vote the best ? just a thought :winky:

carol x

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have had a Tempur mattress at home for 5 years. Its fantastic. Its an absolute godsend when my back has gone or is playing up.
We use a memory foam topper in the MH from Costco , they sell them in all sizes.

We bought it for the caravans make up jigsaw double bed. It made the bed much more comfortable. We used to have to store it underneath the lounge seats during the day, and it was a pain having to make it up , but worth it for the better sleep. It did go under , but took up all the space they are quite bulky.

Its now on the luton bed in the MH , permanently. Its almost as good as the Tempur at home, because its on top of a proper mattress now .:thumb:
Bev

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Topper

haven't used the new topper yet so no idea if it will get too hot. The 2" one we did use in the M/h is now on our bed and not too hot. We even used it in Spain this winter with no problems.
We put a mattress cover and a loose sheet on it and I think this helps keep the heat down
Its a compromise between comfort and heat!::bigsmile:

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Bought a Raskelf topper for our Hymer and it was so fantastically comfortable we ended up buying one for home too! Found them a great company to deal with. Haven't checked but they will probably be at P'boro show and tend to offer discount at shows. They cut ours to exact size and made cover to match at no extra cost. I know some people say they find them too hot in summer but we haven't had a problem with this.
Cheers

We use Raskelf too and they are just the ticket. Can't say I notice them being hot even on our Morocco trip last year. We bought 2 singles that way they are easier to store

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We had two single Raskelf toppers for our last van which were very handy as we had to make up the bed daily. Very easy to roll up with the integral covers. We've put them on our fix bed now and it is sooo comfortable!

Although I cannot compare the heat as we never slept without them, the only time we were hot was when it was very hot outside.

M

madcow

Deleted User
Mattress Topper

Hi,

First time on here so hopefully I am posting correctly!

We have a 2" Raskelf topper on our fixed bed and it is so much more comfortable and I don't really notice the temperature thing and other half hasn't mentioned it and he would be the one to complain. It is a very heavy thing and would not stow away very easily or roll up too well for that matter. It was quite expensive (about £240) as we had to have specially made as our bed is 5ft x 7ft which is longer than the norm.

We bought a second topper for the overhead cab bed which doesnt get used to often and it didnt warrant the expense of the main bed and we settled for one from Dunelm Mills (we ordered on line). It is 6" shorter than the actual mattress but we figured that for the odd night it wouldnt matter if you had it at the head end where the pillows would be anyway. We have used it since and it is fine like this. It is much lighter than the Raskelf and I think just under half the price. It would roll up but would still need quite a bit of space.

Hope this helps x

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've had a Raskelf topper for 3 years without doubt the most comfortable thing we've ever slept on. A bit heavy and bulky to roll up I would have thought.

As for the heat thing mentioned we've never noticed and we've used it all over Europe in the height of summer and even used it in the Sahara, mind you American Rvs are never warm anyway unless their burning gallons of lpg.:ROFLMAO:

Raskelf is probably the best although not cheap but certainly worth the money:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I agree with Rory, Raskelf is easily the best. After we bought one for the motorhome, we liked it so much we thought we'd buy another for the house. We went for another brand, I think it was less than half the price of the raskelf. It was terrible, it was not as comfortable and got hot. We made a dog bed out of it and bought another raskelf. Definitely the Bees Knees and easily the best motorhome accessory we ever bought, not counting the corkscrew of course. ::bigsmile:

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I bought a 2in Raskelf topper at the NEC for use when I'm relegated to the overcab bed (ie when we have guests!) and am so delighted with it I used it on the proper downstairs bed too. Really, really comfortable and I haven't noticed any bother with heat - it did pong a bit first time out, but the instructions warned that it would and that the smell would disappear. It has.

It came with a zip-on sheet, and the single size rolls up easily and spends its days in the luton along with our sleeping bags. Mrs M says she doesn't want one, but I know otherwise!

Best advice if using a double bed is to buy two singles as they'll be much easier to roll up and store. They also do a combined mattress and duvet thingy, but that looked too bulky to me.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Recently bought 2 Raskelf Duvalays (memory foam topper with duvet attached)
They were expensive but very comfortable and they roll up into a reasonable
size to stow in the underbed locker.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back