Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Can anyone give me a unbiased opinion on the advantages of having the engine chipped or the ecu remapped,i am really looking to gain extra mpg rather than extra speed .Obviously the trade tells you that it will do all of the above , i would like advice from someone who has actually had their engine done.My motor home is a Swift voyager on a 4 tonne maxi chassis 2.3 multi jet . My average mpg at the moment is around 24 - 26 mpg driving usually at between 50 - 55 mph ,if i up my speed by about 10mph the diesel consumption goes down to around 19 - 20 mph .I think it may improve as i get more miles on the engine at the moment i have covered around 6500 miles. :thumb::thumb:

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
I think most fit these units or have there vehicle re-mapped to give extra torgue, for more pulling power
The claim is that with this extra torgue you can use less throttle saving on fuel

My van came with a box ready fitted and does pull like a train, as for fuel economy I have no clue

I suppose you have to work out the cost of the modification against how long it would take you to get your money back through fuel saving

Alan H

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
increases in torque and bhp will happen but as for increased fuel economy.....personally i doubt it.....you cant get something (more torque,bhp) for nothing(better economy)

the only thing which will improve fuel consumption is your driving style.

driving at 70mph uses 30% more fuel than driving at 50mph.
gentle acceleration uses less fuel than harsh acceleration.
read the road and anticipate your moves...heavy braking wastes both energy and fuel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SpongeBobsDad

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Thanks for advice pappajohn, i already drive with a light right foot and positively no harsh accelerating or braking, i might try fitting a cruise control, that may help with fuel consumption? .

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
i might try fitting a cruise control, that may help with fuel consumption? .

That seems to be the way to go although a more expensive route. If you view it (cruise control) for it's other benefits and the economy as a scondary benefit I'm sure you'll be happy.
Either way you will not recoup your outlay for a long time and many miles.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
in my experience cruise control drinks fuel ...it will insist on blasting up hills where I would ease off
on my american motorhome I gave up using it , pockets not deep enough

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
There are only six real ways to reduce fuel cost. Note cost.
1) lose your keys
2)Make your own fuel
3)Get a smaller van
4)Economic driving style
5)Keep tyres inflated and make sure brakes are not binding
6) and to keep costs down, use someone elses van, hee hee.
good luck. and no you cannot borrow my van this weekend.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks for advice pappajohn, i already drive with a light right foot and positively no harsh accelerating or braking, i might try fitting a cruise control, that may help with fuel consumption? .
As has been mentioned I don't find c.control economical, when driving by the right foot you probably are happy to allow the speed to slowly drop off on a steep incline, c.c. keeps the hammers down and swallows the fuel.
I do occasionally use the cruise but only on relatively level terrain.

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
Can anyone give me a unbiased opinion on the advantages of having the engine chipped or the ecu remapped,i am really looking to gain extra mpg rather than extra speed .Obviously the trade tells you that it will do all of the above , i would like advice from someone who has actually had their engine done.My motor home is a Swift voyager on a 4 tonne maxi chassis 2.3 multi jet . My average mpg at the moment is around 24 - 26 mpg driving usually at between 50 - 55 mph ,if i up my speed by about 10mph the diesel consumption goes down to around 19 - 20 mph .I think it may improve as i get more miles on the engine at the moment i have covered around 6500 miles. :thumb::thumb:

I had this mod done at Newark show, but to be honest I have not had chance to measure fuel consumption. Next trip I will be more diligent, honest! Too eager to get home and fit my sat dish.:Smile:

I asked for an economy and torque setting as I may be towing a trailer this year. On the way home from the show the engine felt very `mid rangey` with the power tailing off noticeably as the revs got higher, so I assume they did what I asked for.
BTW, the van still did well over sensible speed limits at one point and would cruise comfortably at 70 with no drastic drop off on motorway inclines.

Van is a Burstner Delfin, 7.0m on a 3.0 Renault Master 140, done 9k so expecting mpg to improve with more miles under it`s belt.

metalmickey

Free Member
Dec 15, 2009
wakefield, yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
3 years
Hi, I have a swift sundance 130bhp on 4 tonne chassis had mine re-maped does almost exactly the same consumption as yours. Mine has done 6500 the same only real diffrence from when it was un-chiped is it goes like stink and leaves most hills in it's wake!:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back