water tap connectors (1 Viewer)

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
hello again, sorry to ask another silly question!!
We are preparing to collect and spend our first weekend away in our new RV. Bought a hose for freshwater but what will the tap connector be like? do they vary on different sites so you need to have a selction onboard?
thanks
thanks
claire:-}

Alfa_Scud

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
East Lancs
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Morning Claire,
Most of the sites I've been on have the standard "hozelock" type click on tap fitting. When we bought our van, I went to Wilkinsons & they did a tap connector pack, with the Hozelock type fitting, a few different threaded adaptors & one of the old jubilee clip clamp type fittings.
it's well worth buying one of this type packs, it was only two or three quid, to be honest I haven't used any of the connectors bar the hozelock one, but it's better to be safe than sorry :thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Morning Claire,
Most of the sites I've been on have the standard "hozelock" type click on tap fitting. When we bought our van, I went to Wilkinsons & they did a tap connector pack, with the Hozelock type fitting, a few different threaded adaptors & one of the old jubilee clip clamp type fittings.
it's well worth buying one of this type packs, it was only two or three quid, to be honest I haven't used any of the connectors bar the hozelock one, but it's better to be safe than sorry :thumb:

What he said:thumb: We've done the same and got a couple of different hose lengths as well as the kit to connect the city water, though we've only come accross one site in 4.5 years that had water hook up, but I do like my goodies:thumb:

What RV did you get then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the outside taps with threads on the nozzles come in three sizes , and you will find them in most of europe
the largest one is rare ...pretty well industrial premises only
the medium on is almost universal
the small one is useful sometimes..I used mine 3/4 times in spain this winter

so a kit that covers those to adapt a hozelock fitted hose to fit on to the tap , plus an adaptor to a push on tap with no thread sounds just right to me

Upvote 0

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
one thing to note with the city water hook up is that the US rigs use imperial threads and the rest of the world use metric.
you'll find that if you try to connect a metal metric 19mm (medium) thread into/onto the US 3/4 inch connector, it may only go so far. Any extra force and you'll see metal shavings appear.
I use a plastic 19mm connector which over time has been destroyed by screwing it into the imperial thread. (could not get any imperial sizes in France)

Another nice adaptor to get in your kit is a snap on "Y" adaptor for hozelock WITH SHUT OFFs.
If you are on a pitch that shares a tap between a handful of campers, you can atach the Y adaptor and then you can stay "plumbed in" by using one port yourself and leaving a port free for other campers.
On my 12 months round Europe, i have plumbed in three times and could easily have plumbed in more had i had the correct Y valve at the time

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the rest of the world don't use metric , they use good old standard BSP , even if do they stick a metric name on it
in fact you will often buy a metric sized tap in france and it will have1/2 inch on the side ...which is what it really is
the usa , of course , doesn't tend to use imperial on principle !

Upvote 0

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Tap Connections

the rest of the world don't use metric , they use good old standard BSP , even if do they stick a metric name on it
in fact you will often buy a metric sized tap in france and it will have1/2 inch on the side ...which is what it really is
the usa , of course , doesn't tend to use imperial on principle !

Agree totally with the above. Metric pipe threads are essentially BSP no matter what they call it. America, however, uses NPT which is slightly different. If I remember correctly, however, the 1/2" size is pretty close to BSP and could be forced on with some damage to the threads.

Upvote 0

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
oops. stand corrected on terminology.
Still stand by the "you'll need disposable plastic fittings" line though

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I live in france bill ,and my box of bits contains stuff from both france and the uk ..threads are identical ...in fact many years ago they used the same names like .... demi pouce

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
In France you will use three types of internal threaded tap connectors

1/........A 3/4" threaded tap connector is most used about 70%

2/........A 1" threaded tap connector is used about 20%

3/.......A 1/2" threaded tap connector is used about 5%

4/.......A rubber push on type tap connection is used about 5%

5/....... then you want the hose pipe connection

6/.......A hose pipe

see below the fittings needed from ebay........and I think that is all you would need for the UK
(all the same thread)

Mel :thumb:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As well as the connectors it's useful to have a strap too - a small luggage type of some sort that you can use to put on the 'push' type taps when you're filling up to save you having to keep pushing them in or holding them in place which, if you're doing a total fill-up, can be quite tiring. Keep your eyes on them though to make sure you can get them off when your tank is full, otherwise you could end up with the water gushing back out of the filler point and get a soaking!!! :Blush:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As well as the connectors it's useful to have a strap too - a small luggage type of some sort that you can use to put on the 'push' type taps when you're filling up to save you having to keep pushing them in or holding them in place which, if you're doing a total fill-up, can be quite tiring. Keep your eyes on them though to make sure you can get them off when your tank is full, otherwise you could end up with the water gushing back out of the filler point and get a soaking!!! :Blush:

that's a good tip... :thumb:

a small bungy also works, but a strap is better..

I've also seen the push type valves set into the bourne wall, no way to use a strap, so I used a pole from a windbreaker to wedge it in.. where there is a will there is a way :winky:

Upvote 0

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
the conector i use the most is a 1 inch hozelock tp adaptor with a 3/4 inch inset, obviousely the 3/4 inch insert is used the most as that's the standard outside tap thread found in the uk,

i did come accross a few 5/8ths threaded taps in scotland last year, still dont have an adaptor for that, i used a length of neoprene tube i had in my water connection kit to hold the pipe onto the tap.

i also have a 1/4 turn twist lock connector, i've found these abroad a lot , intended for hozepipes and sprinklers, i have a good filter in my system, so will fill up where ever i can get water when wild camping, i've seen these in the uk on some showgrounds where the catering trailers hook up to the water supply,

a couple of push on tap connectors for those taps without threads,

a male threaded adaptor i made up to allow me to connect to mixer taps by unscrewing the aerator in the spout,
i also used that on a beach in france to fill up from the beach showers, i took the shower head off and screwed it in it's place, about 3 people got their hoses out and we connected them all together and filled every van up on the beach, we got a few bottles of plonk as thanks for that... no idea if it was good or not as i dont drink.

i have also used a piece of very thick poly bag to make an adaptor up, i put a hozelock hosepipe connector in a bottom corner where the bag made a V, and used tie wraps to secure it around a hand pump outlet (about 3 inches) in a french village,

when i had the dog trailer and scooter, i made a bladder tank to fetch water without having to move the van, i.e. if staying somewhere with no taps in sight, i'd go out and search for one,
my bladder tank was a kids pool toy, a 4 foot diamiter rubber ring... bright pink of course :) i cut the air valve off, an put a hozelock connector in it's place, same way i did the plaggy bag adaptor, pushed the 'nut' thru the hole where the air valve was, then screwed the hosepipe connector into the nut thru the hole,

i'd then go and find a tap, using a short length of hose i'd fill the bladder tank up, would hold about 80 litres,
then back at the van i'd use a drill powered water pump to transfer the water to the vans tank.

i also have a great little tap key spider, 4 legs, each one has a different 'spanner' on it for taps without knobs to turn, there's 3 different sized square holes (ones in the middle of the legs where they cross) a stepped male square, and a triangle hole,

there's not been a tap that has water to it that has defeated me yet, i even filled up from a fire hydrant in belgium, but that was only cos some builders had left the adaptors conected over night that allowed them to connect the hose for their cement mixer,

my favorite hose is some 3/4 inch stuff i got in france for less than the cost of a 1/2 inch hose goes for over here, makes filling the tanks so muh quicker, especialy if i can find a 1 inch tap,
i made the mistake of getting one of those thru flow flat wound up hoses once, they use 3 tiny water ways side by side, took almost 1/2 an hour to fill my tanks, so i let the dog have it as a toy, and she turned it into a sprinkler hose in no time :)

i also have the straps to hold in the push taps, and wedge my wheel nut bar against those set in a wall,
but found one i couldent defeat, in germany on a stellplatz (in nurnberg, the one by the big park) there's a toilet block with a tap on the side that's operated by waving your hand under the sensor,
i tried everything but it needed a moving warm object to trigger it,
by the time i thought of spreading some peanut butter on the wall below the sensor and letting the dog lick it off, my tanks were full.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I agree Jim that is a good tip from Minx :thumb:... :Doh:.....that may save my mife many hours of holding the button in and her fingers going numb :Eeek:

No Joking apart it will save me getting sore fingers and keep changing left to right hand to hold the button in on the bourne (some people use there foot and hold the button in):thumb:

Mel

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back