Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Lunar 640 Goldstar
Exp
Recently Retired - Absolute Begineer!
Do I need to have caravan type wing mirrors fitted to my Hilux when pulling a 5th Wheeler as opposed to a caravan?

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Do I need to have caravan type wing mirrors fitted to my Hilux when pulling a 5th Wheeler as opposed to a caravan?

Yes.
The law says that you must have adequate rear view past your trailer. (That of course is a fairly grey point as opinions will differ!)
As I understand it, for caravans, if you are able to use the rear view mirror (internal) of the towing vehicle to see right through the caravan, you only need to fit a drivers side mirror.
If you cant, you need to fit both side mirrors.
Obviously, with a 5ver, you've no chance.:Doh:
I tow with a Navara and yes, you can see rearward without mirrors but no way can you see anything following you if they're within about 100 yards. They disapear into the blind spot, so I use mirrors on both sides.
The fact that my mirrors are WELL outside the 200mm limit (I think) I tend to ignore and just take great care in tight spots.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Yep you do need mirrors as zaskar said, I have a pair of these and find them good, no vibration like you get with some sorts
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes, also see construction and use regs for motor vehicles

Mirror requirements
The tables below summarise the number, type and standard of mirror required to be fitted to various types of vehicle. In addition, the following requirements should also be met:

i. each mirror must be fixed to the vehicle in such a way that it remains steady under normal driving conditions;

ii. each exterior mirror on a vehicle fitted with windows and a windscreen shall be visible to the driver, when in his driving position, through a side window or through the portion of the windscreen which is swept by the windscreen wiper;

iii. where the bottom edge of an exterior mirror is less than 2m above the road surface when the vehicle is laden, that mirror shall not project more than 20cm beyond the overall width of the vehicle or, if the vehicle is drawing a trailer which is wider than drawing vehicle, more than 20cm beyond the overall width of the trailer;

iv. each interior mirror shall be capable of being adjusted by the driver when in his driving position;

v. except in the case of a mirror which, if knocked out of its alignment can be returned to its former position without needing to be adjusted, each exterior mirror on the drivers side of the vehicle shall be capable of being adjusted by the driver when in his driving position. This requirement does not prevent such a mirror from being locked into position from the outside of the vehicle.

Link Removed

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
We have a rear mounted camera on the back of the fifth-wheeler that is connected to our interior mirror of the Nav so we can see anything behind us or coming up alongside us.

Just to make sure we also have a camera sited on the passenger side as well. ::bigsmile:

We are still able to see a vehicle in the camera even when they are also showing in the door mirrors.

Mick & Marion

OP
OP
L

Lunar Goldstar

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Lunar 640 Goldstar
Exp
Zaskar - Thanks

Yes.
The law says that you must have adequate rear view past your trailer. (That of course is a fairly grey point as opinions will differ!)
As I understand it, for caravans, if you are able to use the rear view mirror (internal) of the towing vehicle to see right through the caravan, you only need to fit a drivers side mirror.
If you cant, you need to fit both side mirrors.
Obviously, with a 5ver, you've no chance.:Doh:
I tow with a Navara and yes, you can see rearward without mirrors but no way can you see anything following you if they're within about 100 yards. They disapear into the blind spot, so I use mirrors on both sides.
The fact that my mirrors are WELL outside the 200mm limit (I think) I tend to ignore and just take great care in tight spots.

Zaskar - Thanks for the useful response. Will get a set next week as I am travelling to Calder to pick up my KountryLite 26RK. Am very new to all of this. Do you know of any DVDs, courses or instruction books on driving 4x4s and towing? My pickup is a Hilux 3.0 D4D Auto. Yours Dennis aka 5th Wheeler (should have called myself 5th Wheeler Nubie!).

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Zaskar - Thanks for the useful response. Will get a set next week as I am travelling to Calder to pick up my KountryLite 26RK. Am very new to all of this. Do you know of any DVDs, courses or instruction books on driving 4x4s and towing? My pickup is a Hilux 3.0 D4D Auto. Yours Dennis aka 5th Wheeler (should have called myself 5th Wheeler Nubie!).

If you are going to Calder you have no need to buy anything before hand, If you contact Alex he has everything you will need need, He stocks everything.

He does a fantastic Hitch Lock
Great mirrors
The lube plates

everything.

They also train you when you pick it up, re parking and maneuvering, Don't Worry, I know what you are going through, I Did, But all to no avail.

:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
L

Lunar Goldstar

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Lunar 640 Goldstar
Exp
Thanks for Mirror Regs.

Yes, also see construction and use regs for motor vehicles

Mirror requirements
The tables below summarise the number, type and standard of mirror required to be fitted to various types of vehicle. In addition, the following requirements should also be met:

i. each mirror must be fixed to the vehicle in such a way that it remains steady under normal driving conditions;

ii. each exterior mirror on a vehicle fitted with windows and a windscreen shall be visible to the driver, when in his driving position, through a side window or through the portion of the windscreen which is swept by the windscreen wiper;

iii. where the bottom edge of an exterior mirror is less than 2m above the road surface when the vehicle is laden, that mirror shall not project more than 20cm beyond the overall width of the vehicle or, if the vehicle is drawing a trailer which is wider than drawing vehicle, more than 20cm beyond the overall width of the trailer;

iv. each interior mirror shall be capable of being adjusted by the driver when in his driving position;

v. except in the case of a mirror which, if knocked out of its alignment can be returned to its former position without needing to be adjusted, each exterior mirror on the drivers side of the vehicle shall be capable of being adjusted by the driver when in his driving position. This requirement does not prevent such a mirror from being locked into position from the outside of the vehicle.

Link Removed

Assume I write my reply here! Apologies for the delay in responding. We have been away picking up our Kountry Lite from Calder in Edinburgh. Came home via Seaview (Berwick), Holme Valley (Holmfirth - Last of Summer Wine) and Moreton-in-Marsh. First and Last sites were fine but Holme Valley is not suitable for new 5th Wheelers (contricted roads, dirt track narrow, potholed, bendy entrance with overhanging tree limbs. Nearly had awning ripped off but thankfully Mary saw the offending branch in time for me to reverse back uphill and then edge past it). Thanks for the detailed reply about mirrors. Have a pair of Grand Aeros now.

OP
OP
L

Lunar Goldstar

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Lunar 640 Goldstar
Exp
Thanks for Mirror Info.

We have a rear mounted camera on the back of the fifth-wheeler that is connected to our interior mirror of the Nav so we can see anything behind us or coming up alongside us.

Just to make sure we also have a camera sited on the passenger side as well. ::bigsmile:

We are still able to see a vehicle in the camera even when they are also showing in the door mirrors.

Mick & Marion

M & M - Thanks for your response. Had a reversing camera fitted likewise and Grand Aero mirrors. I assume the passenger side camera you mentioned is fitted to the RV.

Dennis and Mary B

OP
OP
L

Lunar Goldstar

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Lunar 640 Goldstar
Exp
If you are going to Calder you have no need to buy anything before hand, If you contact Alex he has everything you will need need, He stocks everything.

He does a fantastic Hitch Lock
Great mirrors
The lube plates

everything.

They also train you when you pick it up, re parking and maneuvering, Don't Worry, I know what you are going through, I Did, But all to no avail.

:thumb::thumb:

Les and Chris,

Thanks for your response. Had a reversing camera fitted on the KountryLite and bought Grand Aero mirrors for the Hilux 3.0D4D. Unfortunately Alex was away but we did get some practice and got the rig back to Somerset safely via Berwick (Seaview), Holmfirth (Holme Valley) and Moreton-in-Marsh.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back