Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi Folks,
Me & management are going to Italy in June, first trip abroad with MH.
(Would love to have joined The Italian job but work prevents it, but we will be poaching Brian Hilldweller's route.)
I have 2 x 7kg Butane cylinders aboard.
Will I need to get some kind of continental cylinders, as I understand Calor is not available outside UK?
Or will 2 full cylinders be sufficient for a 24 day trip?.
Grateful for any advice.
John

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Gas for Italy.

The answers not straightforward and depends on how much gas you use! In two weeks in France then I take two 7Kg propane bottles and usually return with one full one. However this depends on the weather and how much time we spend off-hook up.

If you have a 30mbar bulk head mounted regulator then I would take a pigtail capable of fitting an Italian bottle or CampingGaz bottle which can be found all over Europe.

If you have a bottle mounted regulator then buy one in Italy and an Italian bottle as back up if your gas gets low.

If money is no object then fit Gaslow.

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
ubuntu!,
Thanks for that.
Dont intend spending much time off hook up for this first trip, think I will have enough for the two of us, but.......
I understand Camping Gaz cyls are available in UK.
Would 1 of mine and 1 Camping Gaz cyl with appropriate connectors be sensible?
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I understand Camping Gaz cyls are available in UK.
Would 1 of mine and 1 Camping Gaz cyl with appropriate connectors be sensible?
John

Trouble with camping gaz is it's very expensive.

I'd take a chance with two full UK cans. We did 6 weeks last year to Morocco on one big Gaslow tank.

Take a small electric heater for the odd cold night.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
If its such a concern get another small cylinder and strap it to the roof/ladders :thumb:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Its surprising how long the 7kg bottles last. I started using one last April & habve done over 30 nights away using gas freely & the first bottle still hasn't run out.:roflmto:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
if you tell us what sort of system you have it would be easier to advise you ; do you have regulator['s] on the bottle , or is the regulator screwed to the vehicle with high pressure hoses to the bottle , do you have both bottles connected at the same time , is there space for one or maybe two bottles to be bigger , if so how much bigger [ height/diameter ]

the gas you carry will do the job if you intend to stay on camp sites mostly and have a hook up and a maximum 1Kw electric heater in case it turns cold
the difficulty might come if you discover the joys of wandering along and just stopping where you find yourself ! even so you should make it ...if only just !

but for a first trip , staying on sites with hook up , go with what you have , will be fine
and avoid camping gas as the man said , arm and leg stuff ...having said that I carry one myself in a locker for emergencies ...lasts maybe 3 years as I also use it to power a burner outside to cook onions/fish etc which leave a smell inside [ and I only change it in spain where I got the bottle for €2 and a refill is €10 ]

above all don't worry about it , there is always an easy solution if you run into trouble , post the details above and we will tell you how ! then you will know when you feel more adventurous ...I remember our first trip , looking for a camp site straight after lunch !
makes me shudder now!

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Thanks, folks.
I'll go with the two full cylinders and see how it goes.
If I run out (seems doubtful from your replies) I'll be back on here for help.
Cheers
John

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
unfortunately john , if you are already in italy it may be too late to help !
we won't be able to say ...pop into the calor shop and get ...or similar

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We went for 9 weeks to Spain with 1 *13 and 2 *7 bottles. We used just over 20kg altogether.

But this was in Autumn, coming back December, and we had our heating on gas a lot on the way back, and lots of stops in Aires with no EHU.

You are travelling when its warmer and for less time, so I'd say you'll be fine.

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We went for 9 weeks to Spain with 1 *13 and 2 *7 bottles. We used just over 20kg altogether.

But this was in Autumn, coming back December, and we had our heating on gas a lot on the way back, and lots of stops in Aires with no EHU.

You are travelling when its warmer and for less time, so I'd say you'll be fine.

Thanks.
Planning to use sites first trip, rather than aires.
John

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Gas

You will be fine, I carry the Camping Gaz adapter in my gas locker. I've never used it but should I need to I know I can pick up Gaz anywhere and get going. Yes its expensive but in an emergency its a good backup.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back