Autocruise Starspirit spot light bulbs (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2009
Near Tenterden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Since 2009
We have a 2006 Starspirit and were wondering if it was possible to change the halogen bulbs to LED to reduce power useage.

Seems very difficult to get the glass lens cover off......however on enquring with a local M/H workshop, they advised that the bulbs could not be changed and we would have to change the whole light fitting. Seems most strange to us.

They are the standard spots that were installed new in 2006 by Autocruise so the question is......has anyone managed to change the bulbs in a Starspirit to LEDs or do we have to change the whole fitting?

Regards

Brent & Sue

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
I have a 2006 Starblazer. I expect the spotlamps are the same and I have changed the bulbs to L.E.Ds.

The spotlamps in mine are 'Lumo'. They are silver-grey and have a chrome ( plastichrome ) ring around the glass, like these at O'Leary:-- 'Lumo Minispot 12v Halogen @ £12.95.

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/

If yours are like these, reply here and I'll tell you how to diismantle the lamp and what LEDs to get.

Harvey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Humour me
Why try to save power on exterior lamps that is being generated anyway as the engine runs
I exept that not asmuch power will need to be made but in petrol saving terms it will take 30 years to break even over the cost of led lamps and that might even include any replacment halogens you would have to buy:Doh:
Geo

Highwayman999

Free Member
Aug 12, 2009
Wellingborough
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Humour me
Why try to save power on exterior lamps that is being generated anyway as the engine runs
I exept that not asmuch power will need to be made but in petrol saving terms it will take 30 years to break even over the cost of led lamps and that might even include any replacment halogens you would have to buy:Doh:
Geo

Where did you get exterior lamps from Geo?!?

Brad

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Humour me

Geo

I think you may be beyond humouring George, but I'll try: we are all on Planet Earth; which planet are you on today? .... how's that? :roflmto::roflmto:

Harvey

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Brent & Sue.

I'm currently investigating replacing the interior spotlamps & normal lights in my 2004 Starspirit. I've ordered one LED to determine if it will fit and if I'm the light is to my liking. If you're prepared to wait for a couple of weeks (for it to arrive from Hong Kong) I'll let you know the outcome.

Phil

PS - I've taken the existing bulbs out of both types of fittings - so it can be done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
b2tuscan
Oct 1, 2009
Near Tenterden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Since 2009
Harvey........they are the same Lumo spots that you describe. Would be very grateful if you could advise on getting the cover off as I am normally a bit heavy handed and don't want to b#gg@" them up!!

Geo.........a sandwich walked into a pub and ordered a pint. The landlord said sorry but we don't serve food in here.

Phil.........will wait a couple of weeks to hear how you get on with the Hong Kong LEDs.

Much appreciated all.:Smile:

Kind regards

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Spot lights as in fog and or driving lights
I ususaly find em on the outside during mots:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
interiors are called down lighters arn,t they:Doh:
Humourous Geo:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Harvey........they are the same Lumo spots that you describe. Would be very grateful if you could advise on getting the cover off as I am normally a bit heavy handed and don't want to b#gg@" them up!!

O.K.

You *may* need / prefer to remove the lamp from the 'van. If so, ( turn off the 12v supply ) undo the two small fixing screws and carefully pull the lamp and wires. The wires are about 6" long with male spades on ends. Unplug these from the Autocruise wiring, or leave them connected and work on the lamp like that. ( if disconnecting, make sure the Autocruise wires don't 'pop back' in the hole, never to be seen again:Smile:

There is one 'notch' in the body of the lamp adjacent to the chrome ring. You need the largest screwdriver that will fit into this notch and carefully prise the chrome ring. Once you have moved it slightly you may be able to use a credit card or similar to prise around the gap. It is difficult to prise the ring off without causing a very slight 'nick' in the chrome: the rings are quite tight. I have done six or so and none of the slight damage shows in use.

The chrome ring comes away with the glass in. On the back of the ring you will see three lugs. These fit into the three notches in the lamp reflector. You may need to pull the reflector out slightly to facilitate locating the lugs on re-assembly. This will also aid the fitting of the LEDs. If the lamp wires are restricting the reflector you can just gently feed them through from the back enough to get your fingers behind the reflector.......... this is all going to be easier than it looks here ....

The halogen bulb is a 'G4' so you need a 'G4' type of led set. I bought mine from J.M. Goods at motorhome shows: I think they go to most. There are other suppliers but they were cheapest at the time I bought mine. They are not *cheap* though! The ones I used have four LEDs and are shown here:--

http://www.jmgoods.co.uk/acatalog/The_Ultimate_LED_Bulb.html

The pins are long enough, such that when the led unit is pushed into the reflector, it's diameter just rests against the tapered side of the reflector. I had a trial fit at J.M. Goods because I didn't want them not to fit.

I ignored other people advice and bought some 'cool white' ones: I would advise getting 'warm white', they are nearest to the colour of the existing halogens. the 'cool white' are rather *stark*.

Note that some lamps fitted to motorhomes have bulbs which come complete with the reflector and some don't even have a glass front: you just pull the reflector out and plug in a new one. I think that these are MR11 types or similar.

When I was researching LED lamps I found that some are just straight 12volt and I have heard that some people have had poor life from them because they do not tolerate higher voltages. You may be running 12.5 to about 14 volts in you motorhome!

Got to go and make lunch. Any other questions just ask..........

Hope that helps.

Harvey

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
B2Tuscan,

Apologies for the delay in responding. I ordered one of the LEDs (From HongKong) similar to this Link Removed

I didn't fit it to the spotlamps but rather one of the down lights on the back wall of the van. I had to cut the pins for it to fit and it only justs fits in. The light is a lot whiter than the existing 10w bulb even though its labelled as "Warm white". I've ordered another 3 to fit in the lounge. At £3.00 each incl postage I felt it worth a try. The post is taking sometime at the moment due to the backlog caused by the infamous ash cloud.

Hope this helps.

Phil

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I think you may be beyond humouring George, but I'll try: we are all on Planet Earth; which planet are you on today? .... how's that? :roflmto::roflmto:

Harvey

I reckon that this post is totally uncalled for. Its rude and not much FUN. The funster that you are directing this comment toward is imo highly respected for his automotive knowledge and genuine help too other Funsters.

I had exactley the same thought, Spots = fog lamps etc, on the outside :Wacko:

Jim
:RollEyes:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I reckon that this post is totally uncalled for. Its rude and not much FUN. The funster that you are directing this comment toward is imo highly respected for his automotive knowledge and genuine help too other Funsters.

I had exactley the same thought, Spots = fog lamps etc, on the outside :Wacko:

Jim
:RollEyes:

I wouldn worry Geo's in the motor trade and has a thick skin! He takes everything in a good spirit (Mind you I was tempted to extract the urine but forgot:cry:)

Peter

OP
OP
b2tuscan
Oct 1, 2009
Near Tenterden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Since 2009
Phil......thank you for your update. Much appreciated. Will probably follow your lead and order one to try out. Must admit that OH and I both love the warm (literally) glow from the existing lighting but they do draw a lot of juice. Interesting that you found the "warm white" was still not very warm.

Regarding the "debate" on what these lights are called, I did consult the websites of Johns Cross, Towsure, and other suppliers who all refer to these lights as "spotlights".

Peter......it's your fault:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back