Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Right. Bidding ends on my Garmin C320 this evening on eBay. Already achieved what I hoped for. Now is the time to start looking seriously for my next Satnav.

But what do I want? What do I need? Obviously 2010 mapping to replace the 2003 mapping on the sold item is essential.

I don't like windscreen mounts, but with a self-adhesive disc have somewhere on the dashboard that would be fine.

I like Garmin, would be equally happy with TomTom, a little uncomfortable with others. I would like a larger screen. 5" would be nice, like the TomTom XXL or the Garmin 1490T. I don't think I need Traffic updates, I would only use it in the Motorhome, if I am late, I am late.

Europe mapping is important, probably mainly Western Europe. Do I need Lane Guidance? I don't know. Is that mainly for Motorway/Autoroute/Autobahn junctions, because I don't usually get them wrong.

Bluetooth is not important, the mobile can be answered by the non-driver.

I don't want to blow the budget, either. £180 is the absolute max, but SWMBO would need some persuading the spend even that much. £150 would be better. £140 would be good.

Particularly I don't want to pay for things I will not use.

So, all you experienced European tourers. What do you use? What would you have to replace it?

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Steve

Like you I prefer single function units, I don't like bells and whistles nor 'swiss army knife' products.
I've had TT One XL Europe for three years and it ticks all your boxes, when I replace it I will get the TT XXL Europe .. simply because it does what it says on the box.. beautifully.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Garmin and they sell a bean bag type mount . I sit mine on top of the dash whether in the car or RV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have a Tom-Tom Go 930T,,

Did two longish tours on the continent with it, if I remember right only one chicken up..
And that was because of an accident and a detour,, dont know what she paid for it.

Came with the sucker thingy, but we have a flat spot on the dash and it fits a treat. :thumb:

Oct 1, 2009
Near Tenterden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Since 2009
Have the same Tom Tom One XL as ScotJimLand and very pleased with it. Have used it all over Europe with very few problems (if you remember to set the options correctly).

Bought a 99p adhesive dash mount off Fleabay and the TT sits there very happily. Most important is the good view of the TT screen and the fact that you can reach it easily rather than having to stretch a long way to reach the unit on a screen mount.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What do I need?
Steve

What you need is a road map of the EU. Anything else is down laziness, convenience.

£50 Copilot Live and my mobile phone caters for my laziness and convenience.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Agreed in principle, but the previous one took me door to door from NW England to a rented house in SW France with scheduled stops at two booked hotels without error. The problem with a road atlas is that it needs to be read accurately and frequently and the driver cannot do that.

Pre Satnav we used to frequently re-enact Bonnie Tyler's song - "Lost in France".

Steve

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I am still using an old TomTom go700 have upgraded maps twice and it is still performing battery is getting tired though:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Had the all singing dancing TT940 it does all its singing and dancing in the drawer
now use a TTone xl 10/10 and well in budget, easy and plentiful updates,maps and plentiful POIs:thumb:
No contest
Geo
Brian's telling porkys about his atlas, ive seen him with a builder theodolite finding his pitch:Doh:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I have a garmin 255wt, which is 2 years old but you can still buy, now about £120. (I paid a lot more 2 years ago!) Seems to do all I need, has european maps, traffic warnings, and can download POI's for aires and for acsi sites. Doesn't have bluetooth or lane markings, though - not convinced I need these.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Agreed in principle, but the previous one took me door to door from NW England to a rented house in SW France with scheduled stops at two booked hotels without error. The problem with a road atlas is that it needs to be read accurately and frequently and the driver cannot do that.

Pre Satnav we used to frequently re-enact Bonnie Tyler's song - "Lost in France".

Steve
What a Smashing song, Sung it a few times in FRANCE even with a sat nav, Sounds much better when sung in France.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
What you need is a road map of the EU. Anything else is down laziness, convenience.

£50 Copilot Live and my mobile phone caters for my laziness and convenience.

Do you have a bloke walking in front of you with a flag :RollEyes:

jeffscarborough

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I have just replaced my old tomtom pda system with a tomtom xl IQ routes 43 countries (4.3'' screen) @ £149.99 from Halfords.
xxl (5'' screen) was £179.99.
xxl seemed a bit big as it will be used in the car as well.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I have a garmin 255wt, which is 2 years old but you can still buy, now about £120. (I paid a lot more 2 years ago!) Seems to do all I need, has european maps, traffic warnings, and can download POI's for aires and for acsi sites. Doesn't have bluetooth or lane markings, though - not convinced I need these.

Joined up different advice from different people. Have just ordered a Garmin 255W - not WT - which is the basic no bluetooth, no traffic, no lane guidance model. Including carry-case - £98 from Pentagon GPS.

Really struggled to find a way of justifying close to £200 for the 5" models.

Thanks to all for the advice. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back