New Leisure Battery (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Had to buy a new battery, ordered one yesterday at 12:56 from Leisure Battery Shop, on line, delivered today at 09:44. Swift service, I'll let you know how good the battery is in a couple of years.

Bill

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
It arrived in a white van but I think the website said they use Business Post. Living where we do a lot of stuff is delivered so we get a wide selection of vans round the doors.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
WillH.

Might I ask why you are having to buy a new battery as your 'van looks pretty new to me and surely would be within warranty.
My E560 has had two chassis batteries so far; it was ages before the draining source of radio and reversing camera was confirmed, each battery being replaced under warranty.

Geoff

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Geoff, I know what you are saying but I think the problem with the battery is mainly my fault. I was unwell last year and neglected to keep the battery charged, it eventually lost all it's charge and I had quite a job resurrecting it. Full charge was never achievable after that, It would barely do one night with heating and TV. When I removed the battery I discovered it is nearly three years old anyway. As we are going up to Orkney and Shetland in a couple of months I felt I had to replace the battery for peace of mind, (and heat).

The Chassis battery will only last a couple of weeks, the standing drain is sufficient to run it down. Compares with my last car, more than two weeks in an airport car park and it needed a booster to start it. Friend of mine had a large Mercedes that was just the same, if he didn't use it for a couple of weeks he had to call the dealer to get into the car.

At the end of the day the batteries are consumable items and won't last for ever.

Rgds
Bill

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
Bill.
What is it about big cars and batteries? The Volvo V70 drains the battery too when parked for a couple of weeks. Now I keep a spare charged up in the garage for just such an event to the car or motorcaravan.
I've just been working out the mileages and visits for warranty work since new (Mar 08) on the Bessie. 1280 miles to and from the agent, £14 in Tamar bridge tolls, 14 days not at work, further 7 warranty trips to local FIAT garage for work. And the list of defects beggars belief.
Geoff

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Geoff, really sympathise with you, our dealer is a 240 mile round trip and the 'local Fiat dealer is a 150 mile round trip. Fortunately I only had one warranty job, the fridge card, and I've also had the clutch/gearbox job done. Does add up though.

I worked at sea for many years and though we had marine grade batteries they still didn't last long and required frequent, expert care. I just accept that batteries need replaced pretty often, that way, no problems.

Rgds
Bill

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
:winky:Bill.
I will not bore you with the details but, the saga includes the usual clutch, gearbox, engine mounts, EMU, immobiliser, batteries, wing mirror, CV gaiter, plus;
bathroom door, Lucca, reversing camera, control panels, waste gauge, radio, sink, tap, hab door and now roof parting from substrate.
Wife is well dissapointed with van quality but we both love the layout and have so far covered 22,000miles.
I'm staying optimistic that after everything is replaced it will be like new!

Geoff

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry to hear of your experiences Geoff. My wife and I love the van, done 14000 miles. We have looked at other vans but have never seen one we like as much. Judder problem apart I have found the quality of build to be better than any of the caravans we owned with the possible exception of our first van, a Dethleffs, over twenty years ago.

For us it is the perfect layout and it (now) drives like a dream! On a good day in the highlands I can get over 32 m.p.g.

rgds
Bill

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
highlands I can get over 32 m.p.g.... Is that coming down the hills.

Have just been notified by Fiat...."Because you are the second owner of this vehicle we cannot continue the warranty for the last remaining year unless you pay us £260 to change the records into your name".....are they real or what...Swift does it for nothing...do you think it's worth giving into them??...Dave

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
online batteries

My Lucas Leisure battery arrived next day in a plain white van too. It had the vent hole plugged with plumbers mate, and was very well packed in a plastic sack, bubble wrap, then thick cardboard box. I then noticed it looks exactly the same battery as the Numax leisure batteries in Brownhills Newark, as though they are selling the same battery under 2 different brand labels. Brownhills Numax was £2 dearer than Alpha batteries Lucas (same battery with different label I believe). http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/bu...ltra-deep-cycle-leisure-battery/prod_104.html

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
Dave.
The third year of warranty I understand is very much an insurance warranty cover and it sounds like you are buying that insurance. Bit steep I thought.

Bill. We too looked around for the ideal layout van for twelve months and to date cannot find anything in our price to match the E560. Fuel economy ranges from 24 mpg to 33mpg, almost always fully loaded. The lower figure was bouncing back from Denmark last year when in a great rush. Best figures are attainable when watching the needle doesnt go over 2000rpm and 60mph. looked into buying a new one again but the ££££ gap was far too much.

Geoff

d4diamonc

Free Member
Sep 4, 2013
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ah but where is it?

Litterally just got mine (an E560) and I see it has a 0.45amp battery drain when nothing is "on"! Battery gone low in 2 days, BUT where is the leisure battery? Looked in all compartments and it isn't mentioned in the Bessacarr handbook that I can see. :Sad:
Total newbie to motorhomes so still naive on expected battery life etc. but this seems extreme.
Any advice gratefully received please, thanks.
Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Litterally just got mine (an E560) and I see it has a 0.45amp battery drain when nothing is "on"! Battery gone low in 2 days, BUT where is the leisure battery? Looked in all compartments and it isn't mentioned in the Bessacarr handbook that I can see. :Sad:
Total newbie to motorhomes so still naive on expected battery life etc. but this seems extreme.
Any advice gratefully received please, thanks.
Dave

have a look under the passenger seat....may be a removable plastic panel on the front of the seat box.

if its there you need to remove the seat to gain access.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Bill.
What is it about big cars and batteries? The Volvo V70 drains the battery too when parked for a couple of weeks. Now I keep a spare charged up in the garage for just such an event to the car or motorcaravan.
Geoff

We have a Volvo S60-when we go away for more than a couple of weeks (it is often 3 or 4 mths) I connect a C-Tek charger to it via our ehu point then it is fully charged when we get home ::bigsmile:

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back