gibraltar mot test (1 Viewer)

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
does anybody know if it would be possible to get your uk registered vehicle mot tested in gib and thus save having to repatriate back to england every year ? i am presuming that it would be acceptable by the dvla as opposed to the spanish itv which is not . this would then enable the road tax and insurance to be reniewed online, resulting in a cosiderable saving in both cost and inconvience ! i know there are legalaties regarding length of stays in countries before having to register vehicles there, but on the face of it a gib mot might be the answer for quite a few longtermers perhaps !

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Judging by the number of British registered vehicles in Spain with nothing in the window I didn't think anyone bothered paying British Road Tax if they are staying in Spain (and why should they?)

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
because it is illegal to drive in spain without the road tax disc

I often wonder why the spanish put up with it ; basically it is just a way to evade spanish taxes
don't try going into gibraltar without one though ...they normally just refuse you entry so it is no real problem though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

snailsontour

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We've got friends living in Gib and they return to the UK every year for the MOT on their UK registered motorhome. I doubt they would do that if they could avoid it legally. Their car is Gib registered and dealt with there.
Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We've got friends living in Gib and they return to the UK every year for the MOT on their UK registered motorhome. I doubt they would do that if they could avoid it legally. Their car is Gib registered and dealt with there.
Bob

This is correct, I looked into this and your vehicle must be registered in GIB to have an MOT there ..

Be aware, driving without the MOT ( unless to a pre-booked test ) will invalidate your insurance, the Spanish police take a dim view of this.

more info from the ex pats forum

Spanish plates
We get lots of E-mails from people wishing to put Spanish number plates on to imported cars. The general advice is, for right hand-drive cars, unless the car is a classic or is special to you for sentimental reasons, DO NOT BOTHER. It is better to sell it in the country of origin, or arrange to swap it with someone returning there.

If it is a motor-home or a medium to large right-hand drive commercial vehicle, you will not be allowed to anyway for safety reasons.

If you are coming from a right-hand drive EU country, then it is not so difficult, but unless you speak Spanish, use the services of a gestor or registered business advisor. It will save you a lot of sweat and heart-ache.

The following applies for new English speaking residents in Spain who wish to do it. First of all, it must be done within 30 days of your registering to stay here for more than 6 months (residencia) or if you are working for a local company they will organise this personal registration (residencia) for you).

You will need a certificate of permanent export from UK DVLA, or similar elsewhere, which is free.
An NIE number. This registers you to stay for up to six months in Spain, but the authorities may question why you are registering a foreign vehicle if you are only staying for less than six months. A residencia is up to five years at a time and signifies that Spain is then your main place of residence.
A certificate Nota de Empadronamiento from the town hall where you live. This is free or costs a few cents.
A Certificado De Baja from the British Consulate. This cost is over €100 Euros, and is not always asked for, but can save the payment of Spanish import tax if dates correspond with other paper work. If the vehicle is a moped or scooter with an engine up to 49 cc, you do not need to carry out this action as it is deemed to be personal belongings and free of any import duties.
Your Passport.
If you have owned the vehicle for less than six months, or did not register it in your home country and pay all relevant taxes (in the EU country of origin), a registration tax (impuesto municipal sobre circulacion de vehiculos) of 12% is payable on vehicles imported into Spain and is calculated on the vehicle's current value which is based on the price which would have been paid new in Spain.
A Spanish ITV (MOT); this is to ensure that the vehicle is technically OK. Remember that the front head-lights must be changed (“stick on papers” are not accepted) to dip right. Many modern cars achieve this by turning the lamp/bulb in the holder as designed by the manufacturer for this purpose.
There is a lot of running around to do, and if you do not speak Spanish fluently, you will need the help of a patient friend who does, or better still, use a gestor.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
What Happens if I Drive my Car Without an MOT?
If you do drive a vehicle without a valid MOT it will usually invalidate your insurance, and if you have an accident or are stopped by the police, you will be liable to face prosecution for MOT non-compliance. The only time you may drive a car without a valid MOT is if you are driving to a pre-arranged test appointment or to a garage that will carry out repairs that are required for your vehicle to pass the MOT test.

Copied from the website below

http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/NoMOTAndThePenalties.html

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
more info from the ex pats forum

A residencia is up to five years at a time and signifies that Spain is then your main place of residence.

Hi Jim

A residencia is no longer for five years at a time. Once you NOW become a resident there is no time limit to how long your residence lasts. They now issue an A4 green piece of paper no photos required. If you wish to become a non resident again you have to go back to the police station with your A4 piece of paper to reverse the process.

onthebeach:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What Happens if I Drive my Car Without an MOT?
If you do drive a vehicle without a valid MOT it will usually invalidate your insurance, and if you have an accident or are stopped by the police, you will be liable to face prosecution for MOT non-compliance. The only time you may drive a car without a valid MOT is if you are driving to a pre-arranged test appointment or to a garage that will carry out repairs that are required for your vehicle to pass the MOT test.

Copied from the website below

http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/NoMOTAndThePenalties.html

Any funster should know better than quote forums, look at the crap sprouted in here.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Let's get this clear for you. Lack of a valid MoT does NOT invalidate your insurance. The insurers require that the car is in a roadworthy condition, which the MoT does not certify. If it's roadworthy it's okay as far as the insurance is concerned, certificate or no certificate.

My comments are based on fact, and you will note i am actually commenting that the lack of MOT does not necessarily invalidate the insurance, giving the person who asked for help some hope, and also, if their claim is turned down, some thought of challenging the decision. My comments are based on what actually happens right now in the industry, not what might have happened over the years.

My team handle total loss cases daily, and the lack of an MOT does not necessarily invalidate the insurance - unless the accident/inciodent leading to the write off was caused by something an MOT would have picked up, we do not deem it as causative, therefore we just deduct something from the market value to show the vehicle without the MOT was worth less.

reported for no MOT is what you can expect. It doesn't invalidate insurance though.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
There's a much more serious potential problem for British insured vehicles.

You may be uninsured in Gibraltar- just as you may be, in many cases, uninsured in Monaco and Andorra.

My policy says I am covered in "Any member country of the European Union, Bulgaria, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Romania and Switzerland".

I pointed out that Bulgaria and Romania are now in the EU, so did not need to be mentioned. I was thanked, and told they would update this next year.

I then said I would be uninsured in Monaco. They said it was "part of France, look at the map". I said, having driven there several times, it most certainly is not, and look at a decent map yourself. I explained there are 4 mini-states in the EU, The Vatican ( where you can't drive), Monaco, Andorra (which they said is in Spain) and Liechtenstein.

The fact they included the last shows they knew of the mini-states. In law, to include one implies an intended exclusion of the others. Eventually I gave them enough references for them to agree the policy as printed did not give me cover, and they sent me a letter amending the terms in my case.

Now Gibraltar is not part of Britain, although the citizens are British! The locals get votes in EU elections, as part of South West England (!), but only since a legal case in 2004. It is not a member country of the EU, which is why there are customs barriers. The position really is not clear, and I'd rather argue with my insurers before the accident than after !

I suggest anyone driving there should get an unequivocal letter from their insurer confirming cover in Gib, plus Andorra and Monaco!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I explained there are 4 mini-states in the EU, The Vatican ( where you can't drive), Monaco, Andorra (which they said is in Spain) and Liechtenstein.

5 You missed out San Marino. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,
Once upon a time there was a 'scam' operated by the kind of person who didn't like their car to be MOT'ed.
They would set off from all parts of the country and travel down to Cornwall. (Mevagissey springs to mind) Their vehicle did not have an MOT but they would book a test locally.
When they arrived in Mevagissey, they would park off the road and cancel the test.
They would then do the reverse on the way home.

That is now history insomuch as you cannot book a test unless you live within a reasonable distance of the Testing Station.
Unless things have changed, lack of an MOT does not invalidate your Insurance. It may make the Insurance Co consider whether to pay for damage to your vehicle but the Insurance Co would continue to cover you for damage to and injury of third parties.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Quite right, olley, I must have been sleeping. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa as they'd put it... Allegedly the oldest country in the world, full member of the UN, used to have that huge fiddle the San Marino Grand Prix so Italy could have two GPs every year.

So add that to your list, Funsters, and contribute to olley's funds if you're the only guys not fined by the Sammarinese cops for failing to have insurance there this year!

Cheers!

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
gibraltar has been part of the EU since 1973 , but is not part of the customs union

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
used to have that huge fiddle the San Marino Grand Prix so Italy could have two GPs every year.

No worse that that country that has 4 football teams (All crap) in the World and European Cups. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back