rangie

Free Member
Mar 5, 2010
London
Funster No
i am thinking of buying an american 5er and a ram 2500
is this legal in the UK

before you all go yes it is......
dodge ram is 3500gross and is allowed by law to pull max 7mtrs long and 2.3 wide
the 5er i am looking at is 10mtrs long and 2.4 wide

gross vehicle weight of ram 3500 gross of 5er 5300 total 8800 on a standard licence you can go up to 8250kg combined.

acording to the department for transport the 5er is a catogorie 03, definition is trailer over 3500kg but under 10000kg. so it should have ABS brakes, but all american 5ers have electronic brakes.

most of the electronic brake systems seem to be inertia type and are not allowed in the UK.

also most dont have parking brakes

so my question still stands are american 5ers legal in the UK
and how do you guys get round it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a completely different set of rules and regs for 5er's.

ring DVLA and ask again....you'll get a different answer every time....

the max uk combined length is 18mtrs.
tow hitch type weights dont apply and it'll be the train weight which dictates the weight of the trailer.

EEC trailer regs

2.2.2.3. Every trailer of category O3 or O4 must be fitted with a service braking device of the continuous or semi-continuous type.

1.9. "Continuous braking"
"Continuous braking" means the braking of combinations of vehicles through an installation having the following characteristics: 1.9.1. a single control which the driver actuates progressively, by a single movement, from his driving seat,
1.9.2. the energy used for braking the vehicles constituting the combination of vehicles is supplied from the same source (which may be the muscular energy of the driver),
1.9.3. the braking installation ensures simultaneous or suitably phased braking of each of the constituent vehicles of the combination, whatever their relative positions.

1.10. "Semi-continuous braking"
"Semi-continuous braking" means the braking of combinations of vehicles through an installation having the following characteristics: 1.10.1. a single control which the driver can actuate progressively, by a single movement, from his driving seat,
1.10.2. the energy used for braking the vehicles constituting the combination of vehicles is supplied from two different sources (one of which may be the muscular energy of the driver),
1.10.3. the braking installation ensures simultaneous or suitably phased braking of each of the constituent vehicles of the combination, whatever their relative positions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rangie

Free Member
Mar 5, 2010
London
Funster No
a 5er isnt a commercial goods trailer so should be in group O2.

that will depend on the weight of your 5er
group 2 is 0.75tonnes to 3.5tonnes
group 3 is 3.5tonnes to 10 tonnes
group 4 is over 10 tonnes

Category 0 is for trailers (including semi trailers)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a 5er isnt a commercial goods trailer so should be in group O2.

that will depend on the weight of your 5er
group 2 is 0.75tonnes to 3.5tonnes
group 3 is 3.5tonnes to 10 tonnes
group 4 is over 10 tonnes

Category 0 is for trailers (including semi trailers)

agreed...thats why i edited my post :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back