johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
all... I want to use a vehicle tomorrow.. I would be insured and have an MOT, but the insurance is so late in setting up, that the DVLA central computer wont have insurance details, and I wont have original documents for Post Office taxing...

All i can think of, is applying by post for TAX i.e. 'TAX APPLIED FOR', (using app form, MOT, V5 and fax of temporary cover note)

(applying for tax backdated back to April 1)

also, photocopying all documents to show anyone concerned..

Will i get executed....

will my poor vehicle get crushed

or has anyone got a better idea, like stay at home?

say what you want, your opinions are just those :)
John

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You will be executed. In fact, they will torture you first, then execute you! ::bigsmile:

If you had at least insurance paperwork, then you could tax and not worry about the computer being updated, just keep copies with you that you have.

Alternative, is to drive to the insurers and pick a copy up in person - depends how desperate you are - you could call and ask them to send it overnight if you pay the extra fees - they might! Should only cost £5 special delivery. At least then you could tax it, would have the docs there, and even if the police did stop you because the computer was out of date, they are well versed in things being a week behind.

But you need to show them docs, so i wouldn't risk it without the full docs on you.

Just had a thought - how well do you know you post office peeps?? Some will tax with a cover note copy...depends hows up their own woohoo they are! lol!

Worth a go, nice country post office with friendly counter person!

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
I have taxed a vehicle with new insurance using an e-mailed atachment copy on more than one occasion, ask your company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Tooooo risky, with number plate recognition you could soon be spotted and at least you could be done for not displaying current rfl.
I think the days of a bit of paper in the windscreen are gone.
I personally would get my bike out

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Rainbow :ROFLMAO:

yes i would have copies of v5; mot; cover note; and tax application form..
I cant get to the INS company tomorrow even if I knew where they were...

some choclate egg festival means that there is no way I can get an original Cover Note before Saturday...

hmm,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its your current vehicle just apply online.

if the insurance details are in the system it will allow you to continue and retax it, but if not it will tell you why not.

nowt to lose by trying. :thumb:

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
oops., didn't see the other replies.. thanks gogocrosby and Larry.. Larry failure to display was always a 400 pound offence, I now remember..,

Gogo, I did wonder about email and documents.. worth a try tomorrow morning :)

will speak to insurance co..

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks PJ, its one of my vehicles, but I sorned it in November and the insurance lapsed in January.. i was backpacking around the South Pacific ::bigsmile:

so starting from scratch really.. :(

think i may wait for an original document on Sat morning and go Post Office and get m a disc...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just apply online...
if your insurance details are on record then it will allow you to retax it...if not, it'll tell you why not.

you still cant use the vehicle until you receive the tax disc though and it takes around 5 days.

MMmmmm thought the last post vanished...obviously not

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
sorry PJ

sorry pj, I haven't bothered to go ahead with insurance as there is no point if I cant use car over BH weekend.. when I want to get covered its all in place and will need a 2 min phone call...

you still cant use the vehicle until you receive the tax disc though and it takes around 5 days.

this, if true, solves the whole problem,,,

I didnt know this, I have taxed online many times and just driven knowing I was covered, and ANPR knew I was covered,, naive maybe ? :Eeek:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you retax a vehicle online, it will be valid from the day of purchase, however, there has to be a linking tax disc in the window. (no gaps between one running out, and new one)

Problem you will have, is the new insurance - it takes 7-14 days to update ANPR and DVLA database with new insurance details - without such, they will not allow you to renew online as you old insurance is out of date.

Have a word with the insurers and see what they say. They may be able to get it to you, failing that, check out what local offices are open on saturday morning (usually main ones or city ones) - running close to the wire, but we have all been there!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this, if true, solves the whole problem,,,

I didnt know this, I have taxed online many times and just driven knowing I was covered, and ANPR knew I was covered,, naive maybe ? :Eeek:

you are legally taxed from the first day of the current month even if you apply at the end of the month (unless you apply for it to start on the 1st day of the next month) but you can still be done for not displaying a current tax disc.

even a current tax disc which has fallen on the floor can get you done for not displaying...:Angry:

no tax and failing to display tax are two different offences.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I renewed my insured about a fortnight before it was due, I had the new certificate but I still couldn't get my tax online. It insisted that my insurance would run out on the last day of the month (I knew that) but it couldn't see the new insurance. All the insurance could come up with way of an explanation was that because it ran out on the last day of the month & until then the new insurance wasn't shown on the system. :Doh::cry: In the end I had to go to the post office to renew it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
also from a different source....

What is the penalty for not displaying a tax disc?

Pursuant to the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994, anybody who uses or keeps a vehicle on a public road, without there being a valid road licence, face the following penalties:
  • A fine of up to £1,000.
  • If it is greater than £1,000, a fine equal to five times the amount of duty payable to tax the vehicle.
  • Ordered to pay all back duty owed since the vehicle was last licensed.
and....

Vehicle Tax/Road Fund Licence/SORN

In order to use a vehicle on the road, you need to display a valid vehicle excise licence tax disc. These are purchased from the Post Office/Licensing Centres and now online via the DVLA website. Road fund licences last for either 6 or 12 months. The tax disc must be clearly displayed, normally to the left lower corner of the windscreen on cars or to the front of the vehicle on most motorcycles.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have not displayed a current tax disk on any of my bikes for about 3 or 4 years now..

And reading the above posts I THINK there is some confusion between failure to display ( Usually a £20.00 and an order to correct.. i.e. actually DISPLAY said tax disk ) and not having a disk to display ! ( Anything from £60 to a £1000 and you lose the vehicle too :whatthe: )

The ruling re where it must be displayed has very recently changed

It has always been in front of the rider and on theleft hand side in a position allowing it to be seen easily from the kerb side

That has now been changed ( but not by a lot ) It must still be on the left hand side of the vehicle and still be clear to see from th ekerb.. However, on motorcycles in no longer has to be in front of the rider.

Although it is only speculation, I believe this to be one of the very few sensible things to ever come out of a H & S department ! A tax disk holder can cut bits off of a person in an accident !

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Jawz agree.. all my bikes have had discs low on the left, near swinging arm pivot...

PJ, um... your post is very informative :thumb: :Doh:

anyway, thanks to everyone for their input...

I am going to do all I can to get a disc before friday... if that fails I am going to do all I can to get one on Sat, then on to Devon, my old stomping ground, by car, not bike or camper....this time... :Eeek:::bigsmile:

John

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Just an idea will your insurance company not email you your insurance document or covernote, then you could print it out on decent paper and take to the P.O.
This year my daughter has used swiftsure and they only use email, all your docs are emailed to you and then you print them whilst leaving a copy saved on the computer- hense the ad you always know where the documents are without searching.

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I had tax disc nicked from bike(psrked in car par of a bike dealers whilst I was in showroom: the theif very kindly screwed the cover back on for me....) since then I have never displayed a disk but its always with me in my wallet when I go out so I can 'display' it at will. Never been asked..

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I just checked my spare motorhome, but just noticed that his tax is out too, that one slipped by with out me noticing! - otherwise i would have let you have that one for the weekend!:Doh:

Looks like we are all getting caught out this easter! lol!

Bike tax discs - what I used to do is bolt it underneath, so it could be slid out to display, and tucked back under the rest of the time!

If you don't mind one on the visor, (if you have one that is) you can used the anti tamper ones, which destroys the disc if removed.

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks again all

I am insured.. for one car only :( but the cheapest company from Confused .com emailed me all docs as pdf :) so i have a very original colour print of my certificate, here in front of me.. Post Office already agreed to slip me a disc at 5.15 ::bigsmile: job done...

progress...

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Glad to hear it is all going your way!!

Couple of days and you can be down here enjoying the howling winds and rain!

(only kidding, it has been quite nice really)

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
:ROFLMAO:

yeah today is ok over here.. think its turning again for the weekend ;)

may do a walk from Hartland to Clovelly, whatever the weather ;)

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
:ROFLMAO:

yeah today is ok over here.. think its turning again for the weekend ;)

may do a walk from Hartland to Clovelly, whatever the weather ;)

Actually, that little pub in heartland on the cliff would be ideal for a stormy lunch! Waves crashing over - excellent!:thumb:

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
the hotel ? ::bigsmile:

booked a room already :ROFLMAO:

always wanted to be that near the atlantic... come over for a beer

custom_ride

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
SouthamptoN
Funster No
thanks Rainbow :ROFLMAO:

yes i would have copies of v5; mot; cover note; and tax application form..
I cant get to the INS company tomorrow even if I knew where they were...

some choclate egg festival means that there is no way I can get an original Cover Note before Saturday...

hmm,

If you have V5, MOT and cover note then you can get a road tax from any post office your details don't have to be in any computer for the road tax. That's how I got my road tax last august.

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Custom , problem was, all I thought i would have was a fax of the ins doc, back years ago that would have been a no no.. and with tomorrow being a holiday there was no way of doing much until saturday lunchtime...
all sorted now :) 550 quid lighter for insurance and tax :(

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Ask this man:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 13