Cambelt Older Than You Think? (1 Viewer)

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Fiat Ducato, but think this post applies to all makes so I've posted here.

I know that we should replace cambelt and kit at so many years or so many miles etc, but, when motorhomes are first registered, often they are the previous year's model.
In addition the base vehicle has often beem made 1 or 2 years previously and has been sitting in the Fiat (or whoever) yard awaiting sale.

So my point is that the cambelts have been ageing for some time when we first get our new vehicle.

Once it has it's first cambelt replacement, we know when the clock starts ticking, but on a new van?????

Any thoughts?

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Ducati motorcycles ( not Ducatos!) have cambelts replaced at 12000 miles or 2 years. Have replaced on a new bike that had not been run but was over the 2 year limit and it is surprising the "set" the cambelts takes because they are under tension in the same position for a long period. I would write or email the manufacturer to get written clarification as if it failed outside their replacement criteria you would have no warranty comeback. VMax

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
If you're worried get it changed -then you are sure!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Or buy a Merc!

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
If you're worried get it changed -then you are sure!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Or buy a Merc!

+1 !

Far cheaper to change the belt ( £150 - £250 ) than have the engine repaired when it does snap ( £1000+ !!!! ) Also, choose the right garage, get all pulleys changed at the same time ( they come in a kit along with the belt ) and you should receive 12months warranty if it does snap ................ I did !:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i reckon a 'boxed' cam belt will have a much greater lifespan than a belt in regular use.

when in use it will be subjected to tension changes, temperature changes(often extreme) and abrasion/wear.

fitted to an engine that isn't going to be run for maybe a couple of years in storage isn't any different than being in its box on a warehouse shelf.....no significant temperature or tension changes and definitely no wear.

and importantly, no UV deterioration.

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
pappajohn, you would be surprised how much tension they are under when installed new. That is why new tensioners are fitted when belts are replaced. The tension on a new belt will destroy old bearings in no time. VMax

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
NO, Now Kevlar, haven't seen one break in service and at 10,000rpm very messy if they did, desmodromic or not. VMax

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
pappajohn, you would be surprised how much tension they are under when installed new. That is why new tensioners are fitted when belts are replaced. The tension on a new belt will destroy old bearings in no time. VMax

agreed but the op was asking about time lapsed between belt fitted at factory and first road use.

apart from being pre-tensioned it has had no use.

the pre tension is about the same as a grooved alt/pump drive belt

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, you are paranoid.

But it's a very good point.

No, not me thats paranoid. It's the people who insist that the cambelt must be changed at an earlier date than the X number of years stated by the manufacturer. I am simply making an obvious deduction based on their paranoia.

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
each individual has to make their own mine up,

me, i change my cam belt every 5 years or 50k miles, i'm in the process of changing it right now, well done the belt cost me 38 quid... cheaper than a 3.5 grand engine re-build, but i'm getting the injection pump and injectors re-calibrated whilst i have the front of the van off)

some people change them every 2 or 3 years, some every 7,

the biggest thing that affects a amelts life is getting oil or coolant on it, sometimes wen a belt breaks prematurely, there's a leaking seal under the cam belt cover that hasnt been spotted, or the person changing the oil spills half a litre down the cam belt housing every time,

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am simply making an obvious deduction based on their paranoia.

I'm in that class. Fiat seem to give an absurd oil life based on liquid gold oil from them. I use ordinary semi-synthetic and do oil/filter about twice as often. It's the way I grew up.

Fan belt, ours was about to fail at about 8K and 5 years, it was a pulley that had lost it's grease not the belt. The belt *looked* like new but who knows how long it would have lasted.

I once had a belt go on a Golf at 11K miles. Didn't to any damage at all and quickly fixed under warranty. The cover had been rubbing on it.

Better to be safe than sorry.

hymerhobo

Free Member
Apr 14, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 years
>>i reckon a 'boxed' cam belt will have a much greater lifespan than a belt in regular use. when in use it will be subjected to tension changes, temperature changes(often extreme) and abrasion/wear. fitted to an engine that isn't going to be run for maybe a couple of years in storage isn't any different than being in its box on a warehouse shelf.....no significant temperature or tension changes and definitely no wear.<<

You're not alone in that belief. I contacted someone in the auto parts trade recently, and got this reply ...

>> I have been in the parts trade nearly 30 years and any
belts that shows signs of deterioration are
disposed of. Normally under dry conditions they
will be fine for up to 25 years.<<

Looks like the clock only _really_ starts ticking when the belt's installed.

-Steve W

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Once it has it's first cambelt replacement, we know when the clock starts ticking, but on a new van?????

Any thoughts?
Yes quite simple really.
As your query relates to a new vehicle and not a used one then it will be covered under warranty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back