toilets! (1 Viewer)

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Just a quickie - on our caravan the toilet is a cassette that empties from outside of the van. The RV's we are looking at seem to have what is described as a marine toilet.

Can you just tell me what does that mean in practical terms - eg emptying it?
thanks
claire:-}

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A marine toilet has a very large holding tank, anywhere between 30 and 80 gallons, vented to the outside through your roof. You empty it through a pipe directly into a manhole or Elsan point. You can also empty it a bit of a time into a carrier and empty it much like a cassette. You can also use a macerator, which is like a liquidiser and a pump. Using a macerator you can deposit the contents of both the grey and black tanks using a small hose over a distance of many metres.

Essentially, Marine toilets are infinitely better that the silly 2 gallon cassettes fitted to most European motorhomes. :Smile:

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I may be wrong,, but I think it means an on board Holding Tank,, usually about 30 - 50 gallons.

Jim beat me to it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Just a quickie - on our caravan the toilet is a cassette that empties from outside of the van. The RV's we are looking at seem to have what is described as a marine toilet.

Can you just tell me what does that mean in practical terms - eg emptying it?
thanks

As they, esspecially Jim said, and frankly brilliant. The old cassette, you know how it had to be emptied daily or there abouts, marine, as in the type found in an RV, DON'T. Depending on size/use many days can elapse between empties, we find that if we need to top up the fresh water the greys about 2/3 full and the black around 3/4, ie if you need water just do the lot and relax. We do use the RV's loo much as we use one at home:Blush: and 5-7 days is easy, we could make it last longer if we used the site facilities more but were's the fun in that. If you're looking at a 31' Winne, if memory serves the tanks are even bigger than those on our 28'.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
As they, esspecially Jim said, and frankly brilliant. The old cassette, you know how it had to be emptied daily or there abouts, marine, as in the type found in an RV, DON'T. Depending on size/use many days can elapse between empties, we find that if we need to top up the fresh water the greys about 2/3 full and the black around 3/4, ie if you need water just do the lot and relax. We do use the RV's loo much as we use one at home:Blush: and 5-7 days is easy, we could make it last longer if we used the site facilities more but were's the fun in that. If you're looking at a 31' Winne, if memory serves the tanks are even bigger than those on our 28'.

Thanks for that, we only use the toilet in the caravan for liquids at present!

Do all the sites have a disposal for black waste?

Does it matter if you put toilet fluid into it?

Can you drive about with the tank with waste matter in it? in the caravan you cant as it may spill (yuk)

is emptying easy?

We are hoping to go and view a 28ft brave soon :-} :-}
thanks

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Essentially, Marine toilets are infinitely better that the silly 2 gallon cassettes fitted to most European motorhomes. :Smile:

Except in the case of Mrs Carl Fogarty who pulled the wrong lever at a filling station and dumped 80 galls of poo all over the service station.

Caused a heck of a stick.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
When we've needed to empty, and we've been RVing 4.5 years now we've not yet had a problem, I've got a couple of different length (15' & 20') sewer hoses and I've never needed the anything but the 15', we actually a few times a couple of foot would have been enough, so I now also have a 2' one as well.

DON'T put toilet fluid in it, it's a waste of money and the system is not designed to work with fluid in it. As said earlier the tank vents off the roof so smells arn't an issue, well a little after use if you forget to open the roof vent to let it out:Blush::ROFLMAO:

Part of the flush leaves an inch or so of water in the bowl, a little like at home, which helps the blade seal keep things nice and fresh.

Driving your waste about is positivly encouraged, there is no way it will spill, well unless you wwwaaaaayyyyyy beyond full. The correct method is always to be at least 2/3 (3/4??) full to maximise breakdown and thrutch when emtying, and the driving about encourages breakdown and particularly, erm, keeping the solids in suspension:Blush:

Empting is easy, pull up, hose on, down manhole, or what ever and pull black tank. When the blacks finished, close it and pull the grey. This apart from emptying the grey flushes through the hose of any nasties:thumb: We actually add to the by using and external valve, so our system is, fit valve, fit hose and stuff down manhole. Open external valve and the black. When the black stops running, close external valve and open grey for 30-45 seconds to back flush the black tanl. Close grey and open external. Repeat once for about 20 seconds, then close black and open grey to drain and flush the pipe. All this takes all off 5 minute give or take, and you don't have that dirty feeling afterwards, quick hand wash and off you go:thumb:

28ft Brave, 28RC by chance, what year? 28 RC is what we have and we absolutly love her:thumb:

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The only problem is that on campsites in the uk you very rarely find a sewer local to the rv to empty the waste into so you end up carrying bucket fulls of poo & wee across the site to the elsan point.

Jim
:winky:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The only problem is that on campsites in the uk you very rarely find a sewer local to the rv to empty the waste into so you end up carrying bucket fulls of poo & wee across the site to the elsan point.

Jim
:winky:

Not a good idea Jim.. been there and done that .. :roflmto::roflmto:

This is where a waste hog or a macerator comes in useful .. but in saying that, our tank would last for two weeks... so usually empty on leaving the site or aire

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Caused a heck of a stick.[/QUOTE]

Did you mean STINK?
Dave:thumb:

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Not a good idea Jim.. been there and done that .. :roflmto::roflmto:

This is where a waste hog or a macerator comes in useful .. but in saying that, our tank would last for two weeks... so usually empty on leaving the site or aire

Hi Jim
I dont think Iv'e got space for a macerator. Ive got a waste hog (or similar) for grey water but cant find a container for black that piggy backs on it.

Anyway, I dont want to deprive SWMBO from her houshold chore's, the girls have great old time gossiping around the elsan point.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:RollEyes: :Cool: :winky: :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Fiamma roll tank, used for grey and/or black is what we carry for those little emergencies, not that we've needed it. It's able to be hooked up sealed to the 3" oulet so bas ignoring the little float level and the conents escaping via the breather there really should be no mess, well until you're emptying:thumb:

Of course there are the proper tote tanks but fore the likely use I didn't like the price.

Upvote 0

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
If there are no black waste facilities, how do you fancy carrying it bucket by bucket to a toilet or septic tank.
We did it once in the van that got no name.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim
I dont think Iv'e got space for a macerator. Ive got a waste hog (or similar) for grey water but cant find a container for black that piggy backs on it.

Anyway, I dont want to deprive SWMBO from her houshold chore's, the girls have great old time gossiping around the elsan point.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:RollEyes: :Cool: :winky: :roflmto:

space shouldnt be a problem...they aint that big....

this one has a 1.5" outlet hose connection and a 3" inlet so it gives you some ideas of size.

Link Removed

not a lot bigger than most fresh water pumps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Thanks everyone, just another question for anyone who has stayed on a caravan club uk site. When they say that they have a motor caravan waste point will this be a grey water only or black water as well?
cheers

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Thanks everyone, just another question for anyone who has stayed on a caravan club uk site. When they say that they have a motor caravan waste point will this be a grey water only or black water as well?
cheers

Its for both, basicaly its either a drain in the middle of a Road area or a surface drain cover to lift.

brian

Upvote 0

tigger

Free Member
Mar 14, 2010
sussex
Funster No
Usually refers to grey waste water,most sites if not all will refer to 'chemical waste disposal point' which refers to toilet waste.in my case occasionally 'comical waste disposal..........:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Well it all went ok till we came to dump the waste!!
Connected the hose - which was a bit shorter than I expected - only about 3 feet long. Having listened to the advice I held it firmly and OH pulled the lever. The hose then parted from its fitting which remained firmly attached to the waste point. The contents of the tank - including some solids which no one says they put down there- deluged all down the concrete as OH refused to go anywhere near to switch off!!
Luckily we had taken her home to empty not done it on site so there were no witnesses and the drive could be rinsed and jeyes fluided!!
Now know I need a longer waste pipe and it needs attaching to the connector with a big jubilee clip!!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back