Bed gas struts (1 Viewer)

el-D

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
W Dorset
Funster No
MH
A-class
The drop-down bed on my Galaxy A-class, an elderly 1997 model, is dropping down rather too readily! It's time for some new gas struts I guess, before I do myself a mischief trying to put the thing back up un-aided.

Has anyone got tips or the benefit of experience in sourcing the right struts at a sensible price and replacing them. I have forbodings of this being a tricky job. Please someone, tell me I'm wrong!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The drop-down bed on my Galaxy A-class, an elderly 1997 model, is dropping down rather too readily! It's time for some new gas struts I guess, before I do myself a mischief trying to put the thing back up un-aided.

Has anyone got tips or the benefit of experience in sourcing the right struts at a sensible price and replacing them. I have forbodings of this being a tricky job. Please someone, tell me I'm wrong!

A boat chandlers may have some as they are used extensively in boats, but no doubt gold plated.

These people look OK

Link Removed

Peter

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
I had thoughts about them on my van but are OK. But whilst researching found a firm that will re gass the strutts. Can,t remeber the name but a search re gassing gas struts or similar may prove useful.
I will try and find in the meantime
Dave

Found one now, www.sgs-engineering.com

They are from Derby and say that re gassing is much cheaper than replacement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E

el-D

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
W Dorset
Funster No
MH
A-class
Thanks folks, that's given me some leads. Let's see where we go from here!

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010

just replaced mine DIY in a hymer Aclass drop down bed same problems like yours . ands is not difficult to change. if you can see the struts see if you can see any stamps on the barrell which will give you the specifications and maker then you can buy them from sites given to you by previous posts

OP
OP
E

el-D

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
W Dorset
Funster No
MH
A-class
Thanks for that. Yes, the struts can be seen with the bed down so I should be able to get the necessary from the existing units (assuming it's legible!) The only position I can get at the strut is with the bed down and that of course is the compressed position for the strut. Did you have any problem with managing the compression of the strut when fitting?

:Smile:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for that. Yes, the struts can be seen with the bed down so I should be able to get the necessary from the existing units (assuming it's legible!) The only position I can get at the strut is with the bed down and that of course is the compressed position for the strut. Did you have any problem with managing the compression of the strut when fitting?

:Smile:

You will have to remove the struts with the bed at the upright position I can see the struts between the cab door and edge of the bed looking up and the same between window and edge of bed the otherside. If you can see them then you can change them Are the ends of the struts held in place by a split pin both ends?? If they are it could be the same as mine They are rated at 1500N

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
have a look at www.hymerclub-international.co.uk click on tips, under the index there is an article regarding replacing bed struts That was what gave me courage to give it a go as I am not really a DIY man, But now that i have done it, it was not difficult at all.

OP
OP
E

el-D

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
W Dorset
Funster No
MH
A-class
Thanks for the encouragement! I'll shuffle off over to that site in a minute and take a look. I plan to go and look at the job again tomorrow - too tired today! I'll let you know how it looks.

:thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for the encouragement! I'll shuffle off over to that site in a minute and take a look. I plan to go and look at the job again tomorrow - too tired today! I'll let you know how it looks.

:thumb:

pm me if they are similar and i will give you step by step description what i did via mail while memory still fresh good luck

OP
OP
E

el-D

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
W Dorset
Funster No
MH
A-class
Oh my! This is going to be fun! The gas struts are totally inaccessible with the bed in the raised position. They are mounted on brackets fitted to the vehicle sides above the level of either the driver's door or the sliding side window. That's handy isn't it. The only way to get to them at all is with the bed down, then of course they are compressed. Even if it were possible to see them with the bed up, the space between the bed and the mounting brackets on the vehicle is too small to get in there with anything. Oh and they are fixed by a threaded stud and nut at one end and a plain stud with what I can only guess is a spring clip (I can't see it!) at the other.

HELP!!!

I think it may be a job for the workshop - I can see the bank manager frowning already. :Doh:

OP
OP
E

el-D

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
W Dorset
Funster No
MH
A-class
On the Pilote Owners Club site someone suggests that it is not 'too daunting' if a good tie-down strap with ratchet is used to compress the struts. Sounds slightly scary but it may be the answer. I'll post if I go for it - and survive the experience!

:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back