Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
We have a Tom Tom one, brought for us by the kids a few years ago.
Tried it out last week in North Wales, and it kept trying to take us down small B lanes.
Tried it on Fastest and shortest route without much difference.
We have 28ft motorhome towing a smart so don't want too many little lanes.
We know the area of Wales and knew that the A road from Flint joined up to A55 with no problem.

We are off to Holland on 15th April, and having kittens re the sat nav.
Do we really need to invest in one in which we can programme our length, or just are we not programming Tom correctly.
Comments would be great
Regards Peter

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi,

Only advice for TomTom is never use it on "shortest" route with a motorhome as it will do as it says and compute the shortest distance for you regardless of road and vehicle.

I don't normally have any problem when it is programmed on fastest route but always be willing to ignore it if it tells you to go down a road that looks unsuitable. It will always compute another route.

Others have given good reports on this forum for the Snooper Ventura S7000

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you can input waypoints you can influence the overall route. My Garmin will take me where IT thinks best but pop in a couple of via's ( waypoints ) and it adjusts the overall route to suit

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only never had this problem once.....

tomtom wanted my to turn through 170degs to the right, off a two lane rural A road into a single track B road, while going down a steep hill.

physicaly impossibilty to turn in one go (probably 5 or 6 shunts) and on looking back, the lane was about 7ft from hedge to hedge.

common sense should tell you to ignore and carry on....tomtom will re-route you, as it did for me, and saved me getting stuck in the lane.

the detour was around 1.5miles and the original route would have saved maybe 1/2 mile.

shortest route will calculate shortest distance regardless.
quickest route will calculate average MPH...it doesnt take into account roads with a sensible limit of 10/20mph because all it knows is they are signed as 60mph.

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
It must have got this bloke in trouble:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 02dec5-amphibious-motorhome.jpg
    02dec5-amphibious-motorhome.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 38

cliff

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Funster No
Hi Peter,
Know what you mean I don't think Tom Tom has not quite though it out, I had the same problem in France, eventually I just ingnored the thing and followed the main road and the map, the thing would reconfigured itself and re-route.

There are now available GPS specically programable for large lorries, you can program in widths, height etc these units can be found on the internet.

Cliff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back