Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Hi, I collect my new motorhome at the end of March and I was wondering what can be recommended for keeping the MH cool in hot weather as I do not have airconditioning.

I was thinking of buying the Endless Breeze Fan along with the Blackfire Ceramic Dashboard Fan that has both hot and cool functions. Does anyone have experience of these products and can I use both of these whilst stationary or wild camping or will they use a lot from the leisure battery.

I have read the points registered regarding the importance of carbon monoxide gas alarms and was looking athe magic Safe Gas Alarm which covers other gases. Would anyone recommend this to me or possibly a better one?

As you most probably have realised I am a complete novice and obviously a lot to learn and I would like to tour Europe when I have built up experience, knowledge and confidence in motorhoming. Are there any novice groups that organise trips together or other organised trips that novices can tag along to gain the much needed experience and knowledge!!!!!!!!!

Apologies for lengthy message but so much to learn!!!!!!!!!

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi No problem asking anything on here my freind.We were all novices once

If cooling is really important to you then you can always retro fit a roof mounted unit. they are not cheap and not good for older vans with flexible roofs.

Other than that you can get a stand alone air con unit but you would need mains power.

Most people put up with the hot weather and sit under the awning outside but this isnt possible in the wee small hours.

Have you got a heki roof light. opening this will let lots of hot air out.

Phill

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
We open everything - door, windows and rooflight. That usually gets a draught flowing nicely, but to be honest you dont very often get weather so extremely hot and breezeless in this country that you would need any special air con units or such like. Possibly a portable fan, but weve never had reason to get one:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Oct 4, 2009
Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi there,

I used to have an Elddis Autoquest 120 which is the rear lounge model. It could get very warm, even when travelling with the windows cracked open in the cab. This is because of the big rear rooflight and lots of windows.

Your model should not be affected so much but I had the dogs in the back so it was a problem. I fitted a fan of about 6" diameter which plugged into the cigar lighter. I made a bracket and fitted it low down on the back of the passenger seat to blow cool air into the back of the van. It had a noticeable effect, so you could try that.

If you do something similar, you need to be aware that the fan can run down your engine battery when the engine is switched off. When on hookup, the Elddis models do not recharge the engine battery as standard.

A lot of these fans can oscillate, which would be better if you are sat in the van in hot weather.

Hope that helps.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was thinking of buying the Endless Breeze Fan
can I use both of these whilst stationary or wild camping or will they use a lot from the leisure battery.

I would like to tour Europe when I have built up experience, knowledge and confidence in motorhoming. Are there any novice groups that organise trips together or other organised trips that novices can tag along to gain the much needed experience and knowledge!!!!!!!!!

All we have is a £10 cheap 'n' nasty truckers 12V fan. We've survived. Yes you can use them off the leisure battery.

About ten of us head for Italy on May 10th, we get to Lake Garda for 10 days then do our own thing, which for some is Florence, Pisa, France. Still time for you to get organised.

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Hi
Only travelled in this country not abroad so my only experience is of the two hot days we've had in the last three years :ROFLMAO:

Many years ago I bought a free standing small fan that runs off mains / 12V / Size C batteries don't use it via the van 12 volt system as it does take its toll on the battery. Cannot think where I got it from but most camping rather than caravan shop have modern versions. It works fine for me and can be moved into the awning. Did have a cheap dashboard fan runs of the cig socket when travelling but could never get it to stick to these modern dashboard plastics and the one that is attached to the cig plug just got in the way.

I do remember from my school days of some 30 years ago a science class experiment whereby we placed a fan in front of a thermometer and took a reading. Then placed a small bowl of water just in front of the fan, the reading went down another 10 degrees may be a thought. I cannot tell you the theory as to why this happens, I decided to place the blades of the fan in the water and got thrown out of class before they explained it :Blush:

Colin

OP
OP
N

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
All we have is a £10 cheap 'n' nasty truckers 12V fan. We've survived. Yes you can use them off the leisure battery.

About ten of us head for Italy on May 10th, we get to Lake Garda for 10 days then do our own thing, which for some is Florence, Pisa, France. Still time for you to get organised.

Thanks for advice Brian and Italy does sound tempting. Will talk to you once I have got used to Motorhome and pluck up the courage to hit the road!!!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think either homebase or b&q are doing stand alone units for £40 odd at the moment. Only good for when on hook-up, but the roof mounted ones only work on hook up!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Same as Brian here ( though cheaper still .. got it at a boot sale for 50p ! )

If you go abroad and it gets too hot the answer is simple.. Find a shady spot and siesta !!
Works for the local folk and 100% works for me !

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
In hot weather keep your curtains or blinds closed to keep the sun out of the van, be aware if you have a Heiki roof light (kind of big skylight!) you aren't supposed to close the blind with the window closed so open it to let the heat out but close the blind to reflect the sunlight and heat out.
our van has a window in the back wall and I often have this open on the night setting as we are driving, it allows cool air coming in through the cab windows to flow out at the back.

You can buy water mister bottles with fans attached these are great for cooling you down, I also have an old fashioned fan which works very well too, although not when driving obviously :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: If your van has an awning fitted, a company called lillypad leisure sell heavy guage net blinds which thread into the front edge of the awning and also help to creat a shadey area to sit it.
We put an old duvet over our mattress and use cotton sheets to absorbe sweat and keep us cool at night.

It's amazing how you can acclimatise to hot weather when you can relax, sit and watch the world going by.

Relax, get out there and enjoy getting to know your new van

Tina

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome

Why not meet up with some of us

There are some good meets coming up soon.

Peterborough Show which needs to be booked by 1st April
and a summer meet which needs to be booked (only £30 deposit) by 31 March 2010.

Have a look in the rallies and meets forum

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back