Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Spill the beans on the WORST site you've stayed on :Eeek:
Probably best not to name names, but what was it that made this site the worst?

WESTERNSTAR1

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
THREE YEARS
HI.THE CARAVAN CLUB SITE AT WIRRAL COUNTRY PARK.
WE HAD APPROX 10 GALLS OF DIESEL NICKED OUT OF THE FRONT TANK ON THE HYMER WHILST WE SLEPT IN THE VAN!!:winky:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Spr*ng wil*ows . On the roundabout on the out skirts of Scarborough.
Only been once , on recommendation too .:Doh:
Never again . Not my idea of fun at all.
It was like Jeremy Kyle's waiting room:Eeek::ROFLMAO:
It was before the smoking ban too , you couldn't breath in the bar or any other enclosed place. Kids sand in the play area was full of fag ends .
It had an indoor pool, but you'd have needed a bath when getting out of it :whatthe:
The whole place was run by kids .
This was about 4 year ago. Might be different now.
Put me of ever trying anything like it ever again.
Thing is everyone else was loving it . Each to their own , so they say.
Give me a nice C.L anyday
Bev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We had an experience with a site near Exeter. We had a customer coming from Scotland, a family of four. The husband was working overseas and was due in later that evening, and we had agreed to deliver the motorhome to the site (70 miles away), collect his wife and children from the airport and he would join them later.

Both the wife and ourselves had liased with the site and arranged it all. We arrived at the site, dropped off the motorhome, and let the owner know that her flight was running 30 mins late, but we expected to be back with her in around 45 mins to one hour, roughly. He was fine about it.

The flight actually arrived 10 mins earlier than expected, we loaded them up and set off for the site, which was ten minutes away at most. We went via a shop so she could get some basic provisions, and got to the site within 45 mins.

The owner refused entry.......said he had 'Changed his mind!! :Eeek: I explained that this all had been pre-arranged, and they even agreed with her husband for him to arrive at 9pm - so the relevance of it being 'too late' due to flight delays was baffling - especially as I had reiterated 45 mins before, and had arrived at the earliest estimate. The owner said that he would have to open the gate, and he really couldn't be bothered as he had had a hard day. He said they would have to go to the local services or a lay-by, as they were not welcome on his site.

So we spent the next 3 hours trawling sites to find this woman and two children somewhere safe to stay.....we would never leave someone in a service area or lay-by, let alone a woman and children. I was astounded by the attitude of the site owner - he really made us feel that the customers were the hinderance to his existence, rather than his bread and butter.

We found them somewhere in the end, and all was well - we didn't get home until midnight, but we did get home with a clear conscience!:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
A few years ago now but a Cinque Ports site where they sold us a pitch for the weekend knowing it was completely flooded.

We ended up getting a refund

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am sure Billing Aquadrome must come somwhere on the sites from hell.
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I beleive billing is up for sale....i will check again later, but i think it was - and for quite a large sum too! lol!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, Billing for me too
The site is pretty much worthless nowadays due to the public right of way from the drug dealer infested council estate behind, and the fact they have actively encouraged travellers ( note, NOT gypsy's ) of very iffy morals to use it as a stop.

I would think the only way forward for the place would be to break it up..
The far side keep the statics, the far left, reduce in size and keep for tourers, and sell off the middle section to developers ( the sale would raise capitol needed to refurb the other bits )

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Campsite Steinfort, Luxembourg 2007 but there was one in France we drove away from

weird, we stayed there and thought it ok, alright the locals were a bit weird but hey ho,:whatthe:

Ours is definitely tye more camp-site in Wales.

absolutely CHAVTASTIC

It was really nice, Like Toxteth had been moved to the seaside for the day. Kids pissing in hedges because they were too lazy to use the toilet block, Kids and adults playing football and attempting to use my motorhome as a goal, ingenious. :thumb:

we spent a total of 4 hours on this site before we moved on.:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Worst sight we found was in Wales years ago while still tugging, pulled in told site yourselves then come and pay.

We went round the site any reasonably level piece of ground already taken, it was like trying to pitch on a mountain. Reasonably easy to pitch a tugger and get it level, but found I did not have a construction kit to raise wheel about 3 foot to get level.

Needless to say we did not stop.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
HI.THE CARAVAN CLUB SITE AT WIRRAL COUNTRY PARK.
WE HAD APPROX 10 GALLS OF DIESEL NICKED OUT OF THE FRONT TANK ON THE HYMER WHILST WE SLEPT IN THE VAN!!:winky:

The Wirral Country Park is beatifull, it is in the middle of the Wirral Country Park that this site is located.

I have never stopped on this site however I walk through it regularly to get to the beach when out walking with the dog. (It has a public access road running through it).

Everytime I walk through it looks just fine and I often get a hello from the campers that are there. They all look happy enough to me.

If your criteria for a poor campsite is the amount of diesel that you had nicked ?, well what more can I say.

Jim
:Doh:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The site at Brotherswater anything that could be wrong was. :whatthe:

Agreed! The night we were there, a bunch of Scousers in tents got toally handcarts and bottled the warden when he went to ask them to be quiet!
This was right at the side of our 'van, 1.00 am, police, screaming, violence, the lot!
Never been back, never want to.

Last edited:

WESTERNSTAR1

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
THREE YEARS
the wirral country park is beatifull, it is in the middle of the wirral country park that this site is located.

I have never stopped on this site however i walk through it regularly to get to the beach when out walking with the dog. (it has a public access road running through it).

Everytime i walk through it looks just fine and i often get a hello from the campers that are there. They all look happy enough to me.

If your criteria for a poor campsite is the amount of diesel that you had nicked ?, well what more can i say.

Jim
:doh:
I dont think you quite understood the thread here.
This was the worst campsite we ever stayed at for the reason of the fuel theft,rather than the amount stolen.if you ever stay there yourself make sure those fuel caps are locked!!
Cheers don.

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
site near Stratford upon Avon. Turn up mid week for a few night stay everything fine set up in the 'motorhome area'

Come Friday went out for the day (left van on site) and on return early evening found a camper pitch next door with a massive awning that came within a few feet of my van could not get to the side door of my van without stepping over his guy ropes !!!! other side a caravan with the car parked right up to the driver door of my van. Both explained that the site owner had told them it was alright to set up as I was leaving the next day :Sad:

Apparently as I only have a small camper I did not need all this space anyway. When looked around the site staff were packing them in like sardines with no space between awnings/tents it was like a disaster waiting to happen.

contacted the local authorities / fire service etc but was told they could do nothing about it.

OP
OP
allie sommerville

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Wow! I went away and forgot about this thread for a day - thanks for all those :Smile:

The worst place we encountered was at Stepps near Glasgow and was actually listed in the C & C Club book.

I'd rung ahead to confirm they had touring spaces available - when we arrived it wasn't surprising they did.
The drive to get there should have warned us - a scary council estate complete with boarded-up houses and cars on blocks.
The site itself was where the recently evicted managed to find refuge in awful static units. Broken down cars littered the place and rubbish was everywhere.
We'd hoped to leave the 'van there and get into Glasgow on public transport, but thought that there might not be much left of it if we did.
Needless to say, we drove on ...
This was in 2003 so it may not even be there still.

OP
OP
allie sommerville

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
site near Stratford upon Avon. Turn up mid week for a few night stay everything fine set up in the 'motorhome area'

Come Friday went out for the day (left van on site) and on return early evening found a camper pitch next door with a massive awning that came within a few feet of my van could not get to the side door of my van without stepping over his guy ropes !!!! other side a caravan with the car parked right up to the driver door of my van. Both explained that the site owner had told them it was alright to set up as I was leaving the next day :Sad:

Apparently as I only have a small camper I did not need all this space anyway. When looked around the site staff were packing them in like sardines with no space between awnings/tents it was like a disaster waiting to happen.

contacted the local authorities / fire service etc but was told they could do nothing about it.

We had a similar experience in Italy, near Como.
When we arrived at midday the place was almost empty - but as evening wore on the place filled up until it looked like a refugee camp.
Barbeques and fires sprung up between the packed tents and 'vans. Kids ran around with abandon.
Campervans were parked on the roadways. There were no standpipes or any other means of putting out fires.
We were lucky that we'd put up our awning and table & chairs before we went off to make some phone calls, because when we got back a tent had been set up right next to it.
We devised a plan of escape which involved driving the van up to the hedge and fence and climbing up and over from the bonnet.
That was a really frightening night I can tell you! :Eeek:
Made a great chapter for my book though :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back