Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
::bigsmile:Just parked up on my very first site in Beasted, Kent which I might say is superb, now I have bought a garden hose to fill the tank but I notice that everyone else is using a blue hose, I have not had a chance to speak to anyone else yet but is there something I should know about hose pipes?
:thumb:kennygd

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I use a garden hose yellow in colour
run water through it to get rid of anything in the hose
since last use and rinse the end
before I fill the tank
others will say use food grade hose

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Some people use hygenic hose pipe which the green hose is not.

It has various chemicals in it that could be considerd as harmful.

I use a green hose with no problem at all. Just keep averything clean and well steralized.

Most peeps that I see use a green hose. I do have a blue and white one which I use when able to hook up to a water supply.

Dont worry about it.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I use a green watering can, can you get blue ones?

Bill

hymerbeliever

Free Member
Mar 23, 2010
Funster No
Ikea do blue waterings cans - probably called Herlkan or something weird like that...lol!

I've used the same green hozelock 20m roll flat hoze for 12 years now and am still living...I'd be lost without it and would like another to join up for those long runs to the tap to save moving the MH. Hard to find now tho and the cheap Chinese ones are rubbish.

Talking of Chinese, Yummys in Bearstead is very good. Always stop there en route to the Tunnel.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Who cares :Eeek::Eeek: Its a pipe at the end of the day for moving water from 1 place to another, use whatever you think does the job at the right price :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have always used garden hose. and I am still here well I think I am.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
::bigsmile:Just parked up on my very first site in Beasted, Kent which I might say is superb, now I have bought a garden hose to fill the tank but I notice that everyone else is using a blue hose, I have not had a chance to speak to anyone else yet but is there something I should know about hose pipes?
:thumb:kennygd

What a scream! I think you are as paranoid as I am. If I ever see a tartan hose I'll fall to pieces.

Ivy

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Mines Orange!!!!!

ARGGGHHHHH! Im going to die!

Actually here is a useful tip. I have a great big long orange hose (no jokes Ive heard them all before) on a reel which is great when you cant get near the tap. I also have a 5 metre blue plastic hose which I bought from a camping shop. I stuffed a standard plastic screw adaptor in one end which screws onto the tap. If you can get right next to the tap or within a few metres its great because it doesnt have to be rolled out or rolled back in you just roughly loop it and stick it in the garage locker. Takes ages rolling out and rolling in the big hose. Well 5 min.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
unless you have a very weak stomach i wouldnt worry about it.

if really concerned then fit one of these

Link Removed

fill your tank with ditch water through a 20year old manky garden hose and it'll come out the tap cleaner and more pure than tap water. :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Blue hose, Red Hose, Glass Bottle, Bottle Glass.

The title of this thread sounds like the begining of a Tommy Cooper Joke/Magic Trick. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:winky:

OP
OP
K

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:Thanks to everyone, one does not feel like being a pillock on site I can't get away with being thick all the time:ROFLMAO:
kennygd

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
:Smile:Thanks to everyone, one does not feel like being a pillock on site I can't get away with being thick all the time:ROFLMAO:
kennygd

It was a good and valid question. If you do a search you will see that many others have brought it up before.

Jim
:Smile:

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
You just need a long enough hose.

I was on a site in San Sebastian and had to run the hose from the tap in the door, across the table & out the window to reach the filler on the other side !

It was just exactly the right length :ROFLMAO:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Good question.....I recently bought a cheapo yellow hose to extend to my parking spot for washing van and filling tank. Water tastes orrible through it so there definately is a case for using a food safe hose. I need to get one myself now that I have found out. :thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have 2 lay flat Blue food grade hoses. Both make the water smell like TCP - I bought them at a show a coulpe of years ago - say no more. I also have a Green curly hose which is perfect and cost next to nothing!!!

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Hi

I do use a blue roll flat hose but find it is a pain to roll back up again unless all the water is out of the hose,:Angry: have a tendency now to use a collapsible water container to top up the van.

Don't think the type of hose is the problem more the tap on site. I have lost count of the number of people I have seen emptying and rinsing grey waste containers or even rinsing out the toilet cassette via the drinking water tap.:whatthe:

I let the water run for a few seconds and wipe the end of the tap with an antiseptic wipe before filling the water. May seem like over cautious but I feel safer. :thumb:

Colin

Camporbust

Free Member
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Good advice above, and also whatever you do don't use any on-site hoze for filling anything. Disconnect it and use your own whatever the colour. When you see the total lack of hygiene shown by some folk it sort of makes you careful.:Eeek:
I also flush my hoze every time, drain it as best I can when finished and connect the ends to keep muck out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back