which caravan club should I be joining (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Im sure this will be on this foum somewhere but opinions please (or a link to the thread) on whether I should be joining the caravan club, the camping and caravan club, both of them or neither of them (bearing in mind an insurance discount was given to me on the basis of joining one of them...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
on whether I should be joining the caravan club, the camping and caravan club

You can ask but it's just like asking which beer to drink. They are both so similar.

But this won't stop 4000 people saying "join CC" and 4000 people saying "that's rubbish, join CCC".

Year one we ended up with both because we joined CC then I wanted to stop on a CCC CL. Next year neither because we prefer going abroad. This year neither so far.

Whichever you join you will soon find one hard fact, if you want a popular site it's already booked up at popular times, like every weekend.

Upvote 0

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We are members of ther Caravan Club - mainly for the Insurance reduction initially, but we like the CL system and use it a lot. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Look at the sites they have on offer and choose the one you are likely to use, we were in both for years until last week when we left one, as we will not be using any of their sites this year, a saving of over £30

Upvote 0

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
One consideration is that the C &CC offer a discount low and mid season if you are 55 or over. Link Removed VMax

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We are in both as well as Motorcaravaners Club, we find this way where ever we are touring we will find a CL or CS, we are in the Motorcaravaners Club because they do some excellent rallies that are not usually booked in advance, and in some good locations, maybe worth joining both if you will get the value or convenience out of it then make up your mind.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
ive got my answer

You can ask but it's just like asking which beer to drink. They are both so similar.

But this won't stop 4000 people saying "join CC" and 4000 people saying "that's rubbish, join CCC".

Year one we ended up with both because we joined CC then I wanted to stop on a CCC CL. Next year neither because we prefer going abroad. This year neither so far.

Whichever you join you will soon find one hard fact, if you want a popular site it's already booked up at popular times, like every weekend.

Thanks for this..I think from what youve said I might be best just to join both for a year just to find out. If we were talking hundreds of pounds to join then thats one thing, but for the costs involved ill see what both have to offer and decide after that..

ta

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Thanks for this..I think from what youve said I might be best just to join both for a year just to find out. If we were talking hundreds of pounds to join then thats one thing, but for the costs involved ill see what both have to offer and decide after that..

ta

good idea

Upvote 0

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
When we started motorhoming last year we initially joined the C&CC, but after a few months we needed to stop in Cambridge near family and ended up on a CC site and decided to join the CC to save money on future stops, so joining both would be most convenient in my view as it gives the best coverage of sites.

Rasmus

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
It will all come down to what type of site you want and what you are prepared to put up with.

Club sites - general observations
CCC is more noisy and has more people milling about and is less disciplined. if you have lots of nippers and want to let then do their thing then the CCC is the better club. Me main reason for the difference is that the CCC allows tens (i know the cc does as well but not generally

If you want peace and quiet with a more disciplined approach and cleaner better facilities then the Caravan Club its better. The sites is more organised and their are better facilites for loo emtpying and water (just more of them).

these are general observations please understand but i think true of most of the club sites.

the CLs ans Cs,s are broadly similar but like the club sites the Caravan Club Cls are generally better in the availaibility and standard of upkeep and facilities.

I am in both clubs but only use the Caravan and Camping club once or twice a year. I prefer the caravan club for its peace and quiet, standard of facilities and it has a lot of club sites within walking distance of major towns and cities.

Cheers
Phill

Upvote 0

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are in both-CC & C&CC but only seem to use the C&CC sites, just how it happens!
Try both as you say for one year then you will find the best one for you or stick with both.

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
For what it costs, try both. We are in both not for the main sites but for the cl/cs there are some little gems out there, both club have rallies and meets sections. If you have kids the c&cc do what is called tempory holiday sites and these usually run for a month at a time in all sorts of places which keeps the cost of holidaying with kids in peak season reasonable, you dont have to prebook most of them just turn up and stay as long or as short as you want, some will have just water and waste facilities and be in a field near the sea, others can have hard standing, elec, water and waste and be on a proper site with swimming pool, clubhouse etc. with prices for the outfit and family from as little as £6 to £13 a night - not bad for a july and august holiday.

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We are in both, but every year I ask myself whether to continue with the caravan club because I get totally fed up with the booking culture in that club, which means lots of sites are fully booked months ahead. Seems to be less of a problem with C&CC. But there are more CC sites which is why we end up staying.

The C&CC do super insurance for members. I have just insured our house with them. I looked at their policy because it was just about the only one that allows the house to be empty for 180 days, most are 60 or 30 days, and we travel in the van. But it also turned out to be better and cheaper than where we were before - highly recomended.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

ta

Sound plan.

As soon as you join - or before ( one of them insists you join to look at booking I think ) - get on their sites and see just how stupid the booking-with-no-deposit scheme is, you will find all the good sites booked up by now. But sometimes you can get cancellations by phoning. That was our big disappointment in year one. Wandering round, in proper FUN manner, "we'll stop there tonight", "Sorry we are fully booked". That was Scotland. We did get a pitch every night, just not where we wanted.

Good hunting.

The other side of the coin, CC+CCC are expensive and there are many other sites around, some even more expensive, some cheaper.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Thanks for all the comments

Thanks for all your comments. Ive joined both for now to give it a try, and guess what, yes it was difficult to book anywhere soon.

I think on the basis that I will be travelling with misses and 5 year old grandchild then ccc might be better or when just misses then from what ive read cc better

ill find out better by having a go and see whats available and then staying on sites.

Ta all...:Smile:

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We (2 adults and 3 kids) joined both CC & CCC last year when we first got the motorhome, we have not stayed on either of the clubs sites but have stayed on CCC's certified sites a few times and been on a large number of CCC District weekend meets (£9 per weekend).

This year we plan to go further afield (UK) carrying both site books to find CL and CS's (or official sites if forced) while touring.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back