Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi MHers!
We picked up our MH last November (it was first registered in May 09 although the build date is Feb 08!) and have been having problems with the leisure battery holding it's charge properly. My father-in-law brought a volt meter thingie around yesterday and confirmed that it is not in good shape - even after 24 hours charge it is not reaching 12V on the meter - just about made 11.7 (sorry I'm not very electrically competent - just repeating what I'm told:winky: nd ahave been shown how to check it again with the meter).
Does anyone know if we have any comeback under warranty to get the leisure battery replaced or do we just need to buy a new one?

Ta Jane

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
11.7 volts is DEAD....sounds like its not charging at all and the battery may well be knackered by now if its been flat for some time.

as you've had the van is less than a year then I'd be making a bee line for the dealers.

try this to check for charge....and it'll give you some ammo for the dealers excuses.

turn off the charger or unplug the hookup lead.

check the battery with the volt meter and note the reading.

turn on the charger or plug in the lead and check the volts again.

it should be around 14v with the charger working

no difference = not charging....
slight difference and it could be the charger has a fault or the battery is totally cabbaged.

OP
OP
cellojane

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
11.7 volts is DEAD....sounds like its not charging at all and the battery may well be knackered by now if its been flat for some time.

as you've the van is less than a year then i'd be making a bee line for the dealers.
Thanks Pappajohn
That's what father-in-law said - so it should be covered by warranty - not like tyres etc.?
Ta for the rapid response.
jane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no guarantee they'll change the battery FOC but they should fix any other charger faults under warranty.

worth doing the check before you go as they may just change the battery and send you on your merry way and the charger may still be broken as well.

if it is the charger you could say the battery has failed BECAUSE OF THE CHARGER and you want that replaced as well under warranty.

worth a try.

OP
OP
cellojane

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
no guarantee they'll change the battery FOC but they should fix any other charger faults under warranty.

worth doing the check before you go as they may just change the battery and send you on your merry way and the charger may still be broken as well.

if it is the charger you could say the battery has failed BECAUSE OF THE CHARGER and you want that replaced as well under warranty.

worth a try.

Hi again
Thanks for all your help folks!
I've spoken to the dealer and they are saying it sounds like the charging system rather than the battery and they may need to get a part from Chausson. Surely a charging unit if it does need replacing is not something that has to come from Chausson - aren't they generic or am I being naive? I use don't want the van out of action for too long and Chausson are not renowned for being quick. Should a regular MH workshop just be able to fix this?
thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Good luck with a warranty claim I cant even get a 50p piece of plastic for my dinette table :Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
under warranty it will have to be original equipment unless chausson agree otherwise.

if you had to pay for it yourself I'd go for an aftermarket multistage charger which would probably be cheaper anyway and far superior to the original power supply.

i changed mine for the 25amp version shown HERE simply for the extra power and higher charge rate.....and the 3 stage function.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back