Mar 19, 2010
marske by the sea.
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
six months
Hi all
We are new to the motorhome fraternity and we are looking for a a stand alone awning. We have a palermo autosleeper. There appears to be a lot of pros and cons when buying and awning so I wondered if anybody has any advice.:Confused:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

First decide if you really need an awning at all, we found that we are not still long enough to make putting an awning up worth it. Most of our stays are only overnight and then move on with only longer if something takes our fancy, at most we only stay 3 nights.

So as I say check or it can be an expensive piece of heavy kit to carry around for nothing.

Sorry did not notice this is your first post till after I had sent, Welcome to MH Fun

Dave :thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

welcome to fun.. :Smile:

I agree with Dave, get a few trips under your belt before deciding on ANY bit of kit..

An awning is great for long stays and winter trips.. but many end up in classifieds which is full of MUST HAVES that tuned into 'must get rid of's ' :Doh:

Other downsides..

Are chargeable on many sites..
Can't use on French or German aires

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, Dave & Jim are quite correct about waiting.

Many of our trips involve stays of several days at historical re-enactment events where we are feeding other family members as well as ourselves and for that reason (combined with having a small van) we decided to buy a Khyam Motordome Excelsior - and have been very pleased with it.

For shorter trips we haven't bothered taking the awning but we have sometimes thought it would be useful to have a smaller one one. For example with all the rain at Stratford show last year it would have been handy to have somewhere to leave wet coats and shoes. To that end we recently bought a second hand porch awning on eBay - though it's rather bigger then we initially thought it would be :Smile: We will be trying that out for the first time at Newark next weekend.

Graham

Upvote 0

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
we have not bothered with awnings. what put us off was when caught in a storm in yorkshire and saw several awnings trashed beyond repair.

also a stand alone you have to keep lining the van up to the right spot each time can be hassel, if i did get one i would go for the stick on the side ones with additional zip on sides.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Yes, Dave & Jim are quite correct about waiting.

Many of our trips involve stays of several days at historical re-enactment events where we are feeding other family members as well as ourselves and for that reason (combined with having a small van) we decided to buy a Khyam Motordome Excelsior - and have been very pleased with it.

For shorter trips we haven't bothered taking the awning but we have sometimes thought it would be useful to have a smaller one one. For example with all the rain at Stratford show last year it would have been handy to have somewhere to leave wet coats and shoes. To that end we recently bought a second hand porch awning on eBay - though it's rather bigger then we initially thought it would be :Smile: We will be trying that out for the first time at Newark next weekend.

Graham

Hi Graham, if you don`t mind we would like to come and have a look how you are getting on with it, how it fits to the van etc etc.

We like the idea of a porch awning, hence we sold our Khyam without even using it, ok so we are a tad fickle.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham, if you don`t mind we would like to come and have a look how you are getting on with it, how it fits to the van etc etc.

We like the idea of a porch awning, hence we sold our Khyam without even using it, ok so we are a tad fickle.

Very happy to show you. Don't go thinking you'll get much of a laugh at us putting it up though because we cheated and tried it out on the drive the day we got it :roflmto::roflmto:

Graham

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Very happy to show you. Don't go thinking you'll get much of a laugh at us putting it up though because we cheated and tried it out on the drive the day we got it :roflmto::roflmto:

Graham

Wouldn`t think of it :whistle: why tempt fate, we have one of those fiamma prvacy rooms, now if you want a laugh come and see us putting that up :swear:
How the hell can you reach up 2.7mtrs with using a simon hoist and get that bloody clip system in the right place. :Doh:.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Wouldn`t think of it :whistle: why tempt fate, we have one of those fiamma prvacy rooms, now if you want a laugh come and see us putting that up :swear:
Do you think we can sell tickets at Newark or would we be classed as traders? :roflmto:

How the hell can you reach up 2.7mtrs with using a simon hoist and get that bloody clip system in the right place. :Doh:.

I bought a small aluminium stepladder which we keep on the Luton instead of the wooden access steps that came with the van. Usually have to clip one bit of plastic in place and then move the steps to do the others but have actually managed it without swearing too much once :roflmto:

Graham

Upvote 0

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
canopi

After spending ££££ on a awning only to use it on the odd time on my 1st van.
so on my next van I looked around and 1st and found
easicanopi3.jpg

i bought some awning channel and for under £80 had a nice lightweight awning. takes mins to put up .
i have used this in the lakes in the rain and love it.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
step ladders

Do you think we can sell tickets at Newark or would we be classed as traders? :roflmto:

I bought a small aluminium stepladder which we keep on the Luton instead of the wooden access steps that came with the van. Usually have to clip one bit of plastic in place and then move the steps to do the others but have actually managed it without swearing too much once :roflmto:

Graham

Mmhh sell tickets, a little juggling, tell a few jokes :thumb:

We have a small set of steps but they are a tad to short, as I am myself, (perhaps if I wore a pair of Chris`s high heels :Blush: nah might give out the wrong ideas)

I guess we will have to purchase ourselves a taller set of steps don`t want to make complete plonkers of ourselves at our first rally meeting.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mmhh sell tickets, a little juggling, tell a few jokes :thumb:

We have a small set of steps but they are a tad to short, as I am myself, (perhaps if I wore a pair of Chris`s high heels :Blush: nah might give out the wrong ideas)

I guess we will have to purchase ourselves a taller set of steps don`t want to make complete plonkers of ourselves at our first rally meeting.

Why not, we've had our turn :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Graham

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
After spending ££££ on a awning only to use it on the odd time on my 1st van.
so on my next van I looked around and 1st and found
i bought some awning channel and for under £80 had a nice lightweight awning. takes mins to put up .
i have used this in the lakes in the rain and love it.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Yes we supply a lot of those, £60 but mainly to tuggers.

Peter

Upvote 0

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
canopi

Yes also forgot to mention that you also have the front area with windows that you do not get with a £400 wind out motorhome fiamma type awning!!!!. use a couple of winbreakers and you have a cheap Fiamma privacey room that would cost the best part of £1000.
also when hot or sunny up can roll the front up!!!
The only down side is you have to fit a channel for the awning, but you could also use the large heavy duty suckers found at machine mart to fix it .

my brother in law has a £500 wind out awning but when its been raining they sit under our £60 awning as we have the front window area that gives better shelter.

yes i know is cheap but its one of the best buys for my van i have made
100% recommended:thumb:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had a freestanding awning in the past with our converted ambulance, the only thing we ever used it for was to stick the dining table and outside chairs in so they were out of the way! It was a big pain in the bum to erect and put away ... wish we'd never bothered ... but hey, ho, you live and learn!:Doh:

On all or 'proper' (ie fully-fledged coachbuilt) motorhomes, we've always had a wind-out awning, however, on our new motorhome due in April we've decided not to bother initially as, to be fair, we hardly use them - hubby occasionally used it to cook on the BBQ out of the rain and we sat under it for an hour on the odd sunny day! We already have a kitchen tent freestanding awning anyway we can always take with us (£8 from a car boot sale virtually new - absolute bargain!::bigsmile:).

So we might not bother at all (saves cost and weight) and either take the large waterproof parasol we have (never been ruddy used yet at home despite having it for 15 years!) which has the advantage that we can put it at any place on the pitch, or get one of those awnings that mulaz has. Still undecided.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back