Haaamster

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Coventry and Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ducato CI 1000
Exp
Hi all, I am heading to the Le Mans race this year and wondered if anyone has been that could give advice on places to stay. Nearby sites or Aires (where we won't get moved on).

Advice on ferries would be helpful too as this will be my 1st time on the continent in Bertie (my little Fiat Riviera).What are the best ferries to use cost wise, do I book now etc.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Are you going to the bike or car race?

The last two years, for the MotoGP, we've parked up on the side of the road leading to the main entrance, 5 minutes from the entrance, from Friday to Sunday, and stayed there with no trouble. (There's a couple of piccies in my album - The Rosabella Goes To France). The road was pretty empty on Friday afternoon but had filled up by the time we woke at 6.30 on Saturday morning for qually.

Sunday night after the race we went to Le Vieux Moulin site, just north of the city. Nice, quiet, a bit expensive but I'm pretty sure you'll need to book if you want to use it.

Bon vacance!

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Sorry, just saw the rest of your post! We travelled overnight on Thursday to Caen. We normally stay over a little while in France but when we did have to be back at work on Monday we travelled back from Cherbourg on Sunday evening.

One year we drove from Calais - it was a drag!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi all, I am heading to the Le Mans race this year and wondered if anyone has been that could give advice on places to stay. Nearby sites or Aires (where we won't get moved on).

Advice on ferries would be helpful too as this will be my 1st time on the continent in Bertie (my little Fiat Riviera).What are the best ferries to use cost wise, do I book now etc.

If you're in that area for more days than you need for the race its worth visiting the aire at La Suze sur Sarthe, its a lovely spot by the river and cost 3 euros pn including electricity and water in 2009. We even managed to get on the internet outside on the picnic tables.

Mel:thumb:

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
Parking during the Le Mans 24 hrs is a bit hectic and people park everywhere.When I have gone by car I have even parked on the green verges of the motorway slip road.During the race the police seemed to turn a blind eye to parking as long as you don't cause an obstruction.Last year was my first time in a campervan and we parked on one of the official sites and have booked Houx again this year.Beausejour is available on line from the AOC Le Mans about £50 for the week , but is a long walk to the start /finish .Houx is right in the centre of everthing, £85 from the AOC but is sold out.It is available from booking companies who charge £110.( big profit) and I booked mine through Speed chills.You can buy your entry ticket at the track its cheaper.
The french park campervans everwhere grass verges etc but you may be moved on as they seem to be tightening up on rogue parking.
If you book Houx give us a call.
Sid

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006

I have listed an informal meet on this site.

OP
OP
H

Haaamster

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Coventry and Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ducato CI 1000
Exp
Many thanks for all the help everyone, sounds like parking won't be a big issue.
I do intend to go a few days earlier probably Wed or Thurs so I will have time for a a bit of sightseeing.
Looking at the ferry prices now, they are trying to sell me a cabin for over £300 :Eeek:

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
Many thanks for all the help everyone, sounds like parking won't be a big issue.
I do intend to go a few days earlier probably Wed or Thurs so I will have time for a a bit of sightseeing.
Looking at the ferry prices now, they are trying to sell me a cabin for over £300 :Eeek:

we are doing p&o dover/calais out 15.15 on sat return 2 weeks late zeebrugge to hull with cabin £ 218 www.poferries.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back