Australian or Non UK / Eu residents (1 Viewer)

elande

Free Member
Jan 7, 2010
Sydney Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class
We are a couple from Australia in our 50`s with great driving/insurance records and are buying a new Auto-Trail Scout.
We have a UK address to use for MOT etc.
The problem is insurance....all the insurance companies I have tried tell us ...sorry your a non UK/Eu resident.
We were told to try down under insurance and even they wont cover us because of the costs of the motor home (they only cover up to 45k)

Surely there must be some company out there that other Aussies or non UK/EU residents can use....

Or is this payback for ALL the times the AUSSIE`s beat the UK at everything..
.cricket, rugby union, rugby league ::bigsmile:

Only joking people...any help with this would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks from elande

AussieB

Free Member
Apr 14, 2010
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Funster No
MH
Exix i578
Exp
Since 2007
We will be in the same predicament in a few weeks time - I am told that either Downunder or Herts (ph 08448884888) may be worth a try. Hope this helps - if it doesn't we may be in the same boat with out our paddle:)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It must be possible, there must be other hundreds of Ozz visiters in the UK and on the continent doing it right now.

Good luck.

PS what do you think of the UK weather!!!

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We are a couple from Australia in our 50`s with great driving/insurance records and are buying a new Auto-Trail Scout.
We have a UK address to use for MOT etc.
The problem is insurance....all the insurance companies I have tried tell us ...sorry your a non UK/Eu resident.
We were told to try down under insurance and even they wont cover us because of the costs of the motor home (they only cover up to 45k)

Hi

As I see it you are in a similar position to UK full timers.. ie , no permanent UK address.
Many of them also use a friends/relatives address for vehicle registration and then withhold that information from the insurance company .. a high risk strategy in the event of a claim.

Comfort Insurance MD ( Motorhomefun member name: PeterAndPatCue ) has said on this very forum that they will insure full timers .. on a 'case by case' basis.

I have carried out some extensive market research on this matter over the recent months and one disturbing factor which has come to light is that there seems to be camp site gossip that you can give any address so long as the post arrives and you answer it because the Insurers will be quite happy. This is not the case. I sit on the Forum of Citarg which is the Caravan Insurers Theft and Accident Research Group and speaking to my colleagues I know for a fact that repudiation of claims and cancellation of policies due to non disclosure seems to be a worry aspect.

It may be very easy to obtain a piece of paper stating that you are insured but that does not necessarily mean that that person will be paid out if they have not been totally honest and upfront full disclosure and we must be perfectly honest and say that this is becoming a very worrying situation. Hence the reason that we have be putting the necessary procedures in place to avoid any unnecessary problems in the event of a claim.

Full thread Link Removed

It may be worth contacting Comfort ... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Why is this situation no different from somebody from overseas hiring a van?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why is this situation no different from somebody from overseas hiring a van?

The MH is insured by the hire company , not the hirer.

Short term visitors to the UK do exactly the same as we do when going abroad, insure in our domicile country.

This is a different situation, Elande is buying a van in the UK and wants to register and insure it in the UK. using a c/o address.

As a non UK citizen they have the same problems as you or I would if we wanted to buy, register and insure in France or Spain.. even though they are part of the EU.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Can you not get a UK friend/relative to insure the van in their name and insure it for any driver over the age of say 50 or however old you are?? Would that not solve the problem??

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can you not get a UK friend/relative to insure the van in their name and insure it for any driver over the age of say 50 or however old you are?? Would that not solve the problem??

it would also have to be registered in the friends/relatives name, and at their address, to get insurance in the first place.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i would just give the address you have ,not tell them you are from ozz.
never been asked anything that would tell the insurance company i wasnt english.
try saga they give good m,home policies. there are places in spain that organise insurance for british non residents ,if any body needs it can get in touch with a friend in malaga he as ins.on his 5er with them.
cheers alan.

Rogerm

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Funster No
In my recent experience the UK has to be the worst place to buy insurance if you are a non resident/non citizen - the insurance companies still have not come to grips with EU membership and you have to buy additional insurance to travel in Europe (Green Card) and often they only issue 1 month at a time - some have very restrictive conditions on green cards - only 1 month in 6, etc etc. There were some policies that even after buying green card you only got the legal minimum in the country you were visiting - same as without green card!! Most policies were for the protection of the insurance company and not the insured.

Germany is relaxed about the whole situation - they will even register a vehicle to your Australian address on export plates if you buy there - make sure its for one year rego and not 1 month. Green card and legal minimum insurance comes automatically with registration - as per Australia. Holland also has a fairly simple system as well if I remember correctly.

If you intend travelling in Europe for 8 months out of 12, you are better off doing an export deal from a dealer in Germany - no GST to pay on exports. Vehicle is LHD, LPG tank will have correct fittings, power cables, etc etc. ADAC offer pre vehicle inspections, much the same as RACQ/NRMA/RACV do in Australia.

Other way is to take a set of Australian number plates and a "modified" rego document, buy green card insurance from any number of insurers over the net and hey presto - insured for travel from Ireland to the Pacific coast of Russia and from Nordkapp to Gibralter.

I cant vouch for these guys https://www.hertsinsurance.com/walkabout.php but their ads seem to indicate they do insure for what you want.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi rogerm .. all insurance bought in uk as to cover all eu countries. a green card is no longer required in eu. eu cover is free if you need only minimum cover. shop around plenty will give you full 12 mnths cover same standard as uk.
the only countries on my last green card from saga were israel,iran,serbia &montenegro.
you have to keep looking and asking questions but it is possible .i didnt pay more.
dont let them fob you off ,they will if you dont be hard.
cheers alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back