Hymer Towbar (1 Viewer)

val-h

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
Hi,

We have just purchased a Hymer B534, and wish to fit a towbar, and possibly up-rate the rear axel weight. We have two large motorcycles we want to be able to take with us on our trips (basically the Hymer replaces the tent).

We have two trains of thought here;

a, Fit a heavy weight towbar to pull a large Box trailer (6Hx6Wx10L) that both bikes will fit into.

b, A smaller trailer that will carry one bike, and suspend/carry the other across the back of the van on some sort of slide-out rack.
Because of the weight of the bike (approx 200Kg) it would need to be custom made. And I suspect I will need to get the GVW upgraded. This I have read about but am not sure who I would need to contact 'DVLA or VOSA'.

My question is/are;

Does anyone know of a towbar manufacturer 'preferably in the North Wilts area' who makes such things, and if it is actually possible to carry a 200Kg m/cycle on the back, and if the chassis can take the weight?

Val.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and if it is actually possible to carry a 200Kg m/cycle on the back, and if the chassis can take the weight?
Val.

I would say No Chance.

Our Burstner, similar size, could not carry a 100kg bike before the back axle broke.

Even if it did squeak in, all your carrying capacity would be gone.

Go for the trailer.

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
What year is the Hymer? What is the weight in the log book? If it is the same as a 90s 544, ie 3100kg, rear axle 1700kg, then as Brian says " no chance". With a tow bar, the max nose weight is normally 85kg , so a C90 is about as much as you would get away with and still be under 1700kg on the back axle. Fitting Air ride rear suspension units, contacting SVTech ( currently £240 + vat for the certificate I think), maybe changing the tyres and a trailer makes a lot more sense. VMax

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You could think about one of these.I've got one coming I'm doing some trials for the guy who makes them supposedly only puts about 50 kgs on the towbar with a 200kg bike on the back and no reversing issues. Seen hundreds of them in the states but all a bit bulky this looks more like it.

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

OP
OP
val-h

val-h

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
You could think about one of these.I've got one coming I'm doing some trials for the guy who makes them supposedly only puts about 50 kgs on the towbar with a 200kg bike on the back and no reversing issues. Seen hundreds of them in the states but all a bit bulky this looks more like it.

Wow that's amazing! and would be perfect, apart from two things.

The price 'as always' and the weight capacity. The bike we would like to put on the back is just a little over 200Kg's (BMW R100gs). I especially like the feature of the 360 caster wheel.

Thanks for your input guys, but it looks like it's going to have to be the good old trailer route for now.

Val.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
somewhere on the forum is a formula to work out actual weight on the rear axle.

I'd say the 200kg would be nearer to 275kg to 300kg on the rear axle due to the distance from the rear axle to the rack.

as it happens, i have a bike trailer in the classifieds.

suitable for a couple of BMWs as the weight is 550kg.

easily converted to a two or three bike jobby with the addition of another wheel channel.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

defitz

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Funster No
Exp
more than most of ye-50+
defitz

:Smile:I've been towing all sorts of things for years and also carrying things-mopeds, e bikes etc on racks with my 1978 year old hymer-still going strong but needing lots renovation-tlc internally.
Generally speaking anything more than a light scooter/m'bike is a lot on a rack-there are exceptions and spring assists b ut for anything much beyone a 125 cc its a trailoer.
Fortunately there are nowadays a host of purpose -built trailers available- very different from when i had to have trailers made or adapted.
As it is I have a trailer for my Honda cm 400 which was built and lalter adapted to ride onto for 650 BMW. Alternately, I tow a sailing boat,
As a fairly frequent ferry user, trailers are a costly affair (tho' prices have been stabilised in recent years) often trailer fares are more than the towing vehicle (Norfolk Lines, Stena and P&O are examples although the justification they usually offer is that the vehicles fare is a special offer!
But riding the bike alone is just as bad as offers for bikers are rarer than hen's teeth.
:ROFLMAO: on a ferry to ireland :is £25. Yet another great rip-off for de unregulated. blacker than green, ferries.

K1m

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
Funster No

Hi

Have you had delivery of the Hydra trail yet and if so what are your impressions on it?

Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back