Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well you have got to laugh really !!

Lindsay Hoyle, the senior Labour MP on the Commons business select committee, said it was "a complete disgrace". He told the Daily Telegraph: "Yes, crude oil has gone up this year, but nothing like the rise in petrol prices. Motorists are being legally mugged at the forecourt by petrol companies."

And of course, the govt is not mugging us with 80%+ tax's on fuel !! LOL !!!

At least Mr Turpin had the decency to wear a mask !!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
They blame it upon the weak £ - $ exchange rate but I don't recall it being lowered when the £ was strong.....

The British are too tolerant and just sit back and accept.....

Still no blockades/protests from the haulage companies that are bearing the brunt of the fuel increases...

Yes....It'll get passed onto the consumer...:Doh:hardhat £1.20/LITRE Forecast in the next week or so.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As regards tax, it has to be raised from somewhere. If not on fuel it will have to be raised elsewhere. The question for all of us remains the same, therefore, "what would you prefer to pay your tax on?". Some might take the view that their share of taxation is unjust. An ideal opportunity for exploring how different politicians would react to that will shortly be upon us.

As regards the increase in prices by the oil companies (no doubt to be followed by increases in profits and in bonuses for senior executives) the question then is the extent to which markets should be free or regulated (nanny state anyone?). That question can also, of course, be explored in the run up to the election.

However, I bet very few people will actually bother to ask those questions of the various candidates in their area.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Another thing which struck me about this story is the fact that the AA is headlining petrol with the line that the price will overtake the previous high of 119.7p of July 2008. They have completely ignored the fact that diesel is now running at only about 1.5p per litre more than petrol, as opposed to the 12.5p differential of July 2008, which means the diesel price is likely to be nowhere near overtaking the July 2008 price.

Seems that spin (and not just wheel spin) is alive and well ::bigsmile:

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As regards tax, it has to be raised from somewhere.

Graham

Very true Graham, it's an easy tax to collect and difficult to evade, it is however a very blunt instrument hitting the poorest and least able to pay the hardest ..

Do you think the greedy bankers and city wide boys with their multi million pound bonuses give a fig about a few more pence on fuel .. :Angry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its already £1.20 in some Rural Wales service stations:RollEyes: that must be very near £5.50 a gallon:Eeek:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Apart from the fuel, i have also heard rumblings over the last couple of months that VAT is going to take a hike to 20%.

I reckon the 'people' wont start to mutter untill it reaches the 1.28/1.30 that it reached last summer basically because its been there before and like it or not they got used to it and they know it went down again, but im betting there will be no such fall in prices this time when it reaches the 1.30 mark

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Very true Graham, it's an easy tax to collect and difficult to evade, it is however a very blunt instrument hitting the poorest and least able to pay the hardest ..

Do you think the greedy bankers and city wide boys with their multi million pound bonuses give a fig about a few more pence on fuel .. :Angry:

True Jim - as is income tax as currently levied - but (and I admit I don't know the figures) I would have thought that increased taxing of banker bonuses would not raise enough to make a significant decrease in fuel tax possible, especially when factoring in the costs of making the change.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Its already £1.20 in some Rural Wales service stations:RollEyes: that must be very near £5.50 a gallon:Eeek:

Free market competition again Jim? We used to go on holiday to Kirkcudbright in Galloway in the 1980s when there was a Shell fuel depot by the river there. Fuel prices were higher there than elsewhere in the area. Why? Only one fuel garage so lack of competition.

Graham

Rapiscan

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
manchester
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
1 MONTH..RETURNING AFTER 20 YRS
Beating fuel increases using.....cooking oil?

Hi all,seeing as we are about to be mugged once more re:fuel prices...whats the pros and cons on using cooking oil for diesel engined vehicles?A mate of mine buys used cooking oil from a local chippy very cheaply...he then puts it thru a fine filter to remove impurities and mixes it in his fuel tank 50% with normal diesel..in his landrover,so far he reports no probs apart from a bit of exhaust whiff...and a £££ saving!:ROFLMAO:..so does it damage the engine,is it legal?even buying unused cooking oil in catering size barrels is cheaper than diesel......any thoughts anyone? thanks,:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As regards tax, it has to be raised from somewhere. If not on fuel it will have to be raised elsewhere. Graham
The answer is not to increase taxes but to deacrease the amount given away in Foreign aid whilst trying to appear as a world power. The Country should get real and start looking after our own. Cut the size of gov departments and the civil service. Save cash all round instead of squandering it. MP should live in dormatories in Parliment rather than us paying for extra houses for them.

[FONT=&quot]A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. [/FONT]

well said that man.

Hi all,seeing as we are about to be mugged once more re:fuel prices...whats the pros and cons on using cooking oil for diesel engined vehicles?A mate of mine buys used cooking oil from a local chippy very cheaply...he then puts it thru a fine filter to remove impurities and mixes it in his fuel tank 50% with normal diesel..in his landrover,so far he reports no probs apart from a bit of exhaust whiff...and a £££ saving!:ROFLMAO:..so does it damage the engine,is it legal?even buying unused cooking oil in catering size barrels is cheaper than diesel......any thoughts anyone? thanks,:thumb:

the cost of new oil is more than that of diesel, buying in bulk only marginally cheaper. Using old chip oil works but has drawbacks. Namely deisel bug. Unless great care is taken and biocide added in the filter stages you WILL end up with an accumulation of bacteria in your tank that blocks filters and turns fuel to a sludge. Older engines run fine on the stuff but not turbo's. I do happen to have a couple of filtration units for sale if interested.
I found the savings marginal and in the end not worth the hassle.

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
wastrels

...AND - on this morning's news there was an article about the Advertising Standards Authority banning a Government advertisement for climate change. Apparently the use of the expression 'WILL HAPPEN' is not actually true!....with regard to climate change...

The advertisement cost £6 million.... what a total waste of our money!

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Another thing which struck me about this story is the fact that the AA is headlining petrol with the line that the price will overtake the previous high of 119.7p of July 2008.

The AA need to look around...our local garage have had diesal at 119.9 for the past 5 days....Dave

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The answer is not to increase taxes but to deacrease the amount given away in Foreign aid whilst trying to appear as a world power. The Country should get real and start looking after our own.

Cut the size of gov departments and the civil service. Save cash all round instead of squandering it.
Two more subjects to bring up with candidates over the next few weeks? Might be worth finding out what the overseas aid budget is to see how much tax revenue could be saved.

MP should live in dormatories in Parliment rather than us paying for extra houses for them.
Yes. As I posted on a thread last year there will be some nice flats in the Stratford area of London available late in 2012. An ideal place for MPs to stay.

Graham

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do you wanna know how I dealt with the hike ?
I looked at all my most popular lines and added 4p to them.
Now that sounds pathetic but it will cover my increased fuel costs..

The point of this post ?

If I am doing it, so will an awful lot of other retailers !!!!

chftech

Free Member
Feb 1, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Two years
Re Fuel Prices of 119.9p, I'd like to know what the price is around the North of Scotland area just now?

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
MP should live in dormatories in Parliment rather than us paying for extra houses for them.

Now that should really attract the cream of the peolple to apply for the job?
Mmmm...:Doh:

Namely deisel bug. Unless great care is taken and biocide added in the filter stages you WILL end up with an accumulation of bacteria in your tank that blocks filters and turns fuel to a sludge.

Now that is a new one!!!
Can you culture it? Good fuel to be had from bacteria and algae...:Eeek:
What actually can cause problems is glycerine unless the fuel line system is kept hot enough. Most successful longterm veg oil users have a second tank for the veg oil so they can clean the system out by running on heavy oil (diesel) at start and end of a journey to stop the glycerine build up.

Patrick

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

As is always the case Jim. Those less well off are always the first to suffer whilst those in the high (or higher) income bracket simply cannot comprehend and rarely, if ever, suffer.

As for the obscene greed of the Banker who got dished out a £15 million bonus.....yes fifteen million quid, in addition to his salary, makes me very angry. And no doubt this parasite will not be paying tax either. One of the 'lower downs' who only got a measly £8 million bonus obviously had a guilt conscience and promptly gave his bonus away to charity.
How sweet. :RollEyes:

I doubt few if any, Bankers give a fig about fuel costs as many don't even pay for their Bentleys, Lambo's, Ferrari's or helicopters to be tanked up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back