Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a second car (now that I am married) and was thinking of maybe getting a Mazda Bongo. Budget about 10k. It seems it would be easier than the MH for days out and work well as a car?

Does anyone have any experience/opinions etc?

Thanks
Gary

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Gary

I've also been looking at them as an alternative to having two vehicles .. plenty for sale and they have a big following.. but was put off by the low MPG .. from what I've read the 2.5diesel only manages the low twenties.. it will be interesting to hear from owners if this is the case..

There is a nice one for sale in the classifieds, an auto petrol, it may be better.. but I doubt it .. I used to run a petrol HiAce van that barely managed 20 mpg

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Have a look at the Nissan Elgrand - slightly bigger in body size, but not prone to head gaskets and no cam belt to worry about!!:thumb:

You can pick one up for around 5-8K or 10K converted to a four berth camper. People I know that own them have not a bad word to say - and with nissans' reliability record to boot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have a look at the Nissan Elgrand - slightly bigger in body size, but not prone to head gaskets and no cam belt to worry about!!:thumb:

You can pick one up for around 5-8K or 10K converted to a four berth camper. People I know that own them have not a bad word to say - and with nissans' reliability record to boot.

Thanks, any idea of MPG ?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Average is 30mpg - mate reckons he gets 35 - he doesn't drive like a loon though! lol!

Nissan are good for power-to-weight ratio, and use bigger engines (3.0t & 3.2t). It aids both economy and life of the engine - (my last nissan was sold at 576,000 miles)

If you get a petrol/lpg one, then you can look at something like 50.(equiv)

If you want the recovery technicians view......i have recovered plenty of bongos - NEVER an elgrand....in fact on 3 nissans ever - one was a 280,000 sunny with a fuel pump gone, other two were crash damaged!

Link Removed
Begging for LPG -

Link Removed

Camper

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Never owned either but a mate uses a Nissan Elgrand cabbing and would not use anything else, proved very reliable.

Dave :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does anyone have any experience/opinions etc?
Gary

So for the odd day out you want an oldish complex vehicle when instead you could get a new/newish vehicle, cheap to run and respectable to go anywhere in.

You need a good management consultant !

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I have a Mazda Bongo and my son also has one. The reason that I am selling mine is because there is only ever 2 of us travelling in it and the rear of the vehicle is never used. Although I love them I am looking for a smaller car more suitable for 2 people. I just use my Bongo as a car and have never slept in it. I have my motorhome for holidays and weekends. I bought it because I just love them. My Bongo does about 25 miles to the gallon. My son likes to travel and will go to Newcastle or Southport just for the weekend, one hell of a mileage for a weekend. My son sometimes sleeps in his. I personally think they are excellent vehicles and they have a huge following in the UK. I still love them but as there is just the two of us the rear is surplus to requirements, but each to their own. Have a look on Link Removed.

Just my view.::bigsmile:

Lesley

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Used to have a VW T4 as an everyday vehicle with the 1.9 non turbo diesel. It was very good on MPG and very comfortable and reliable.
Quite like the Ford similar to the Bongo,is it a Frendee or somthing.
Was looking at one last year,everything electric,including the bed,even the curtains were electric. Also not to big,so it could be used as everyday transport.
Am thinking along the lines of A framing somthing like this.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Used to have a VW T4 as an everyday vehicle with the 1.9 non turbo diesel. It was very good on MPG and very comfortable and reliable.
Quite like the Ford similar to the Bongo,is it a Frendee or somthing.
Was looking at one last year,everything electric,including the bed,even the curtains were electric. Also not to big,so it could be used as everyday transport.
Am thinking along the lines of A framing somthing like this.

The bongo cannot be flat towed, unfortunately! You would be fine with a berlingo, or acty type thing!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back