Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
near cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbie again
weve had our motorhome now for about a month havent stayed the night away in it yet just gone for the day we keep it at our secured unit always connected to the electric is it safe to leave the heating on low all the time and the electric always hooked up i know it sounds dumb but we are new to this game

thanks very much:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
weve had our motorhome now for about a month havent stayed the night away in it yet just gone for the day we keep it at our secured unit always connected to the electric is it safe to leave the heating on low all the time and the electric always hooked up i know it sounds dumb but we are new to this game

thanks very much:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:[/QUOTE

welcome, I got my MH 3wks ago also new to this and apart from taking it for a full service not been out in it hooked up 24/7 also. Not sure if it's correct but if not sure someone will advise otherwise:Eeek:

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
heating on

hi there mr.bond,we park our windsport on the drive along side our house and it is always hooked up.as far as i know it does no harm at all.we leave a small oil filled rad in through the winter to keep the chill out.and i have put 2 tablet humidifyers in to take out any moisture:thumb: regards brian jo & josh:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Yes to electric - silly to the heating - don't wear out and complex heater when a cheapo electric one will do the job.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mr bond

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
near cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbie again
hi there mr.bond,we park our windsport on the drive along side our house and it is always hooked up.as far as i know it does no harm at all.we leave a small oil filled rad in through the winter to keep the chill out.and i have put 2 tablet humidifyers in to take out any moisture:thumb: regards brian jo & josh:thumb:

thats very helpfull thank you very much ive got a oil radiator and im going to put it in now to save wear and tear on my heater:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp

You might know this, but we were told the only way to get a full charge on the battery is to go for a run. It seems to have worked for us.

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2009
Near Tenterden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Since 2009
Guess one of the experts will pop up and advise but I was always told by mechanics that a run in a vehicle will never fully charge a battery........only a mains charger can do that.

Upvote 0

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
We have ours hooked up to electric and leave an oil filled radiator on low all the time.

Helps to keep the damp out and the danger of freezing away :thumb:

Upvote 0

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Hi

I get confused when it comes to electrics (bit like magic to me). When I bought the van was told that it depends what type of charges you have. If its a step type? or intelligent charger the sort that monitor the charge in the battery and adjust the top up you are ok, but if you have a basic charger that continues to put a charge into the battery that it can cause damage to the battery. Sure someone will more knowledge than I can muster will be able to clarify. Do give it a run most weeks and to be on the safe side I have only been putting my van on charge once a week for about 12 hours (have not bothered with any heater over the winter)

However just taken the van for a habitat check. not freezing but cold overnight and I set off about 8.0am for a 9.00am check in. The report came back showing 15% damp patches in the van. The staff suggested it was just condensation and nothing to be unduly worried about. But will be reconsidering my options and putting a small heater in during cold snaps

colin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back