Dethleffs "magic edition" v Rapido 9048df (1 Viewer)

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are now looking to upgrade our motor home......which is a Pilote galaxy 75....and would appreciate any advice regarding a Dethleffs magic edition...against a Rapido 9048df.

As we tend to travel in winter, our concerns are about warmth ...and, as photographers, how either of them will perform regarding TV and computers are concerned.

On the Pilote we had a solar panel fitted, and have to say that there were many times that the inverter would "scream" at us after say 4 hours of TV....so this time we`d prefer to "get it right" !!

We are very much open to anyone who has a view, and experience,on this subject....and any recommendations, as we appreciate that we are about to embark on what will be our
last motor home...and the cost is, to say the least, quite a large sum.

"We`d like to get it right"...and are leaning towards the Dethleffs...and any additions we may need to cost in !!....already aware of a spare wheel...and a security system, but do we need an additional battery to make our trips ( mainly Scotland and wild parking) more pleasurable and comfortable ?

Our thanks in anticipation

Geoff and Christina

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We are now looking to upgrade our motor home......which is a Pilote galaxy 75....and would appreciate any advice regarding a Dethleffs magic edition...against a Rapido 9048df.

As we tend to travel in winter, our concerns are about warmth ...and, as photographers, how either of them will perform regarding TV and computers are concerned.

On the Pilote we had a solar panel fitted, and have to say that there were many times that the inverter would "scream" at us after say 4 hours of TV....so this time we`d prefer to "get it right" !!

We are very much open to anyone who has a view, and experience,on this subject....and any recommendations, as we appreciate that we are about to embark on what will be our
last motor home...and the cost is, to say the least, quite a large sum.

"We`d like to get it right"...and are leaning towards the Dethleffs...and any additions we may need to cost in !!....already aware of a spare wheel...and a security system, but do we need an additional battery to make our trips ( mainly Scotland and wild parking) more pleasurable and comfortable ?

Our thanks in anticipation

Geoff and Christina

Not a lot of help other than to say we like our Dethleffs Advantage A-Class - pretty good quality.
Don't know what a 'magic edition' comes with, so no help with add-ons either, I'm afraid.

A pretty useless post really - sorry.

John

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Hiya i owned models from both manufacturers not the ones you are looking at but...... Dethleffs 6501 (Swedish spec.-Alde wet heating system) this van was fantastic did 45000 miles and lived in for 3 years non-stop NO problems with anything at all Rapido 7099 beautiful inside+outside but some niggly problems with cupboards that were solved and of course the Fiat gearbox issue however we did consider the model 9048 as our next replacement it seemed to have an excellent layout very Tardis like with everything inside in a compact package. Happy finding btw. our decision was a 5th wheeler Al.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Don't know about defleths but get a model with a 12v system including television and two good sized leisure batteries backed up by decent solar panels (2x 110 amph batteries and at least a 120 watt solar) and that will help a lot. Try to avoid the use of invertors as they are very inneficient at using your available enrgy. Most laptops can be powered from the 12v system with their own little invertor builtinto a car ciggarette lighter adapter (cos most are 19 volts the invertion is pretty good). So a van with everything that runs off 12volts (apart from fridge of course which should be capable of gas) is way better than using invertors...IMHO.

Hope that helps a little.

OP
OP
spiritsfree

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Don't know about defleths but get a model with a 12v system including television and two good sized leisure batteries backed up by decent solar panels (2x 110 amph batteries and at least a 120 watt solar) and that will help a lot. Try to avoid the use of invertors as they are very inneficient at using your available enrgy. Most laptops can be powered from the 12v system with their own little invertor built into a car ciggarette lighter adapter (cos most are 19 volts the invertion is pretty good). So a van with everything that runs off 12volts (apart from fridge of course which should be capable of gas) is way better than using invertors...IMHO.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for that Wireman...any links or brand you can give me regarding the ciggy lighter adapter with built in inverter would be appreciated.

...and thank you all for your advice....it`s very much appreciated.:Smile::Smile:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the swedes go for the alde liquid heating , they say it will cope with down to -20C temperatures for those who motorhome in the winter

could have used it at times this winter in spain!!!

btw , we found we need 200A/h of battery and 220 watts of solar panel , hardly watch the telly but a lot of laptop

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Link Removed just for one, hundreds available if you goole it....HTH

my tosh is rated at 4.75 amp hour max so a 100 amp battery should give you 10 hours of use quite easily even if its not being topped up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spiritsfree

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Link Removed just for one, hundreds available if you goole it....HTH

my tosh is rated at 4.75 amp hour max so a 100 amp battery should give you 10 hours of use quite easily even if its not being topped up.

Thanks for that Wireman.....being on the thick side where electric is concerned....is this the same as the the adapter which came with the laptop.....or something quite different?

Sorry for being a dork on this bright sunny morning.....i`m just very aware that i knhow very little where real electrics are concerned, and do want to get it right at last.

Thanks for being patient....I`m truely grateful::bigsmile:

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
the adapterr that came with the laptop....? is this the mains one or one that plugs into a ciggy lighter in the car? its the latter you require.

OP
OP
spiritsfree

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
the adapterr that came with the laptop....? is this the mains one or one that plugs into a ciggy lighter in the car? its the latter you require.

Yes i have the mains that came with the laptop Wireman.....I presume that they are different....It`s not just the plug that`s different is it ?

Sorry for being thick :Blush:

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No they are very different....you need to purchase the one made for the cigarette lighter like the one in the link I gave you, actually you need two if you are both going to use at once and a couple of 12 volt outlet that run from the leisure batteries. Easily fitted if you don't have them although most vans do.

OP
OP
spiritsfree

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No they are very different....you need to purchase the one made for the cigarette lighter like the one in the link I gave you, actually you need two if you are both going to use at once and a couple of 12 volt outlet that run from the leisure batteries. Easily fitted if you don't have them although most vans do.

Fantastic Wireman...i fully understand...and appreciate you patience...you`re a diamond!!

"Life`s one big lesson "...and today i`ve learnt more from you.....My thanks ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back