Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I fully expect that I am!!

Just very recently I have mostly been perusing the newly acquired ACSI book and DVD.

On the DVD, for sites which don't appear in the handbook, how do you discover what dates you can use the card and whether it is 11, 13 or 15 Euros?

Or - is it a case of having to ring each site and hang round for someone who can speak English, when you are newly arrived in the area and have perchance found the Aire you thought you were gonna stay on full, or grotty?

I have in mind here (eg) we like the naturist beach near Jard sur Mer. We had thought we'd stay at the Aire at St Jean de Monts but we were less than impressed when we saw it and didn't want to stay there at all, so we just went to the beach for the day and then drove further on to the Aire at St Gilles Croix de Vie. There are 100's of campsites in the area, but silly prices as they tend to be the all-singing all dancing type. Had we had the ACSI card or even just website access last year (we didn't have a laptop which we have since invested in plus we have a dongle, but had assumed the DVD would save having to use that) up to the end of June or in Sept we could perchance have stayed at Les Ecureils for 15 Euros, or 10 Euros without ACSI membership just for use of it for one overnight as an 'Aire' without the showers, elec hook-up, swimming pool etc.

It isn't even in the book.

Am I missing summat???

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I may be the thick one here but the guide and the dvd are not directly linked . The dvd lists all inspected sites whether discounted or not. The guide lists discounted sites only ??

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
On the DVD, for sites which don't appear in the handbook
Am I missing summat???

Yes. A little tab when you pull up the camp details. If it does not have the Camping Card tab it does not give a discount.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

net-traveller

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
Funster No
It can be confusing as ACSI do not publish everything in english.

ACSI inspect around 8500+ sites per year and these are listed in a full camping guide, which isn't published in english. They also produce these sites on a DVD, available in english.
About 6 years ago they started the discount scheme which are sites within the 8500+ which will give a cheaper price at certain times. These sites are listed in the ACSI Camping Card guide and are also indicated in the main guide and DVD. To make use of the discount you have to buy the ACSI Camping Card guide to get the card.
One advantage of the card is that a lot of the sites will accept it as ID regardless of whether they are part of the scheme or outside of the discount times.

The full and discount listings of ACSI inspected sites is also available on-line at http://www.acsi.eu

Hope that helps.

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Its the book, they call the book Camping Card ACSI and the cards on the inside cover, the DVD is a map with all the sites they inspect on. Paul

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thank you, gentlemen.

I understand that not all of em give any discount, so far so good.

But - still being thick.

I give up on this partic site as an example, because I can't now find the bit where I swore it told me it was 15 Euros. (LOL)

However there is another site I defo looked at, at La Palmyre which is virtually next door to the Aire. It is called Bonne Anse Plage. Please explain exactly where I can find the 'little tab' ?

Is it the one that just says CC in the top RH corner of the very first bit when you click on the site? which then leads you to the book, which says the dates and the price? - or what?

This site, I know the Aire is 8 Euros, plus another 2 or maybe 3 if you should happen to need to empty your cassette; we moved when we did because there wasn't a separate tap for drinking water so having paid their money people were using that tap to rinse out their cassettes. Yee-ukkk. If you can get on the campsite it's 13 Euros and bearing in mind we use the naturist beach which we drive to earlyish because the part of the carpark there without the height barriers gets full quickly, but they are very hot on the no overnight parking, then you can't stay too late anyway because the Aire gets exceptionally full although it is fairly huge, it might be nice to have 'free' access to running water and a reserved parking spot - even if you don't want to use the aqua toboggan or do the fandango all evening etc etc. And there couldn't be less room between vans than on the Aire LOL And I'd be quite willing to invest the extra 5 Euros a night for the convenience. Still within reasonable walking distance of La Palmyre itself for shopping and eating. Plenty of cycle paths too - so may also be able to hone my currently useless cycling skills without suffering (too much) gravel rash! (I could take my old M/c leathers - but seems excessive really!! Wouldn't risk ruining the newer ones!!)

I'm thinking I've bought this DVD when all we really wanted/needed was the card and book probably, still never mind, you live and learn! and at least you could get to see whether there are likely to be a lot of other holidaymakers at a partic location before you go there, except some of the 'package' etc etc crowd possibly wouldn't venture far outside the campsite gates .......

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The sites listed in the Camping Guide ACSI book give the prices in the bottom left corner of each entry in bold print.

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I understand the book perfectly thanks, but thought the DVD was gunna tell me more than it does - for the sites that ARE discounted I mean, whereas it doesn't!!

So it's 'just a campsite guide to France' and all info on it we could get from the website whenever we wanted anyway (given an internet connection) - without Euros ever changing hands! Ah well, our small contribution to help ACSI carry on ......

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I fully expect that I am!!

Just very recently I have mostly been perusing the newly acquired ACSI book and DVD.

On the DVD, for sites which don't appear in the handbook, how do you discover what dates you can use the card and whether it is 11, 13 or 15 Euros?

Or - is it a case of having to ring each site and hang round for someone who can speak English, when you are newly arrived in the area and have perchance found the Aire you thought you were gonna stay on full, or grotty?

I have in mind here (eg) we like the naturist beach near Jard sur Mer. We had thought we'd stay at the Aire at St Jean de Monts but we were less than impressed when we saw it and didn't want to stay there at all, so we just went to the beach for the day and then drove further on to the Aire at St Gilles Croix de Vie. There are 100's of campsites in the area, but silly prices as they tend to be the all-singing all dancing type. Had we had the ACSI card or even just website access last year (we didn't have a laptop which we have since invested in plus we have a dongle, but had assumed the DVD would save having to use that) up to the end of June or in Sept we could perchance have stayed at Les Ecureils for 15 Euros, or 10 Euros without ACSI membership just for use of it for one overnight as an 'Aire' without the showers, elec hook-up, swimming pool etc.

It isn't even in the book.

Am I missing summat???

Hi

If you have the Camping Card ACSI 2010. You will find the price of the sites under the information for the site, for instance go to page 431 site Hourtin-Port/aquitaine(gironde) you will see the price at the bottom of the page in the blue strip, price being €15 and further along the blue strip is the co-ordinates for the site.

Hope this helps

Lesley

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
(we didn't have a laptop which we have since invested in plus we have a dongle, but had assumed the DVD would save having to use that)

Slightly off post :Smile: What Dongle have you got-I've been researching this and UK ones seem cheaper to buy-but horrendously expensive if you actually use them!! Whilst French Dongles don't seem to do PAYG ,only 12 mth contract.

Mike.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
However there is another site I defo looked at, at La Palmyre which is virtually next door to the Aire. It is called Bonne Anse Plage. Please explain exactly where I can find the 'little tab' ?

On the map double click the red tent for the above site. Up comes the full details for the site and the sixth tab from the left across the top says Camping Card.

It says Rates: €13.00 1/5-2/7 28/8-16/9

Simples.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
S
DVD,
Menu top left hand corner, under additional, tick Camping Card ACSI. Then it will only show those that take the card.
JK I think the disk is very useful

Thank you, I'd never spotted that. It certainly thins out the sites.

It certainly is a useful package ( do we have to say APP these days ? ) and so cheap.

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Had a go at both of them now and understand everything - Ta very much for your help, fellow Funsters !

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Sedge

Pity you didn't spot my posting a few months ago.

I found the ACSI book so disappointing I was offering it foc to any funster who wanted it as I bought the DVD which suits my needs far better. Not surprisingly nobody wanted it.....I couldn't even give the damn thing away! :RollEyes:

To be honest the prices given in the book should be taken simply as a guide line only and in many cases ACSI sites I went on actually offered a better price without the Camping Card. In other words.....you aren't missing out on much!

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well thanks, but a 2009 card wouldn't be much use this year?

As we'd never heard of ACSI until last Autumn/Winter we couldn't have used it before.

We've never toured before in this way !

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
ACSI Discount

Hi. Access the disc and in the top left corner there are a number of options. Click on Additional and then Camping card. Only the sites offering the discount will then be shown. You will then see the discount tab on the sites selected. There is also a useful option to select the dates you are interested in to check the site is open for that period.

Mike

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The additional words 'in your responses to me' were implied, Brian !!! (you know - like the Sale of Goods Act)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back