Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We were at the carparks on the dunes along the Wynd at Bamburgh the other day.
It's a smashing spot, even though the 1st carpark is signed as prohibiting overnight camping etc.
The second carpark has no such signs and when we were there, a couple of motorhomes were parked up. I was just contemplating spending a mid week session there, when on leaving the carpark, I notices a pair of very robust steel plates set into the ground at either side of the entrance. Just the right size for mounting a set of height barriers :Sad:
When we drove past rthe 1st carpark, there were a freshly fitted set of plates there as well. - looks like the chance of a bit of wildcamping and even parking may be about to be cutrailed in this beautiful spot.
I will keep an eye on developments :Smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 58

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Looks like another good overnight stop may be curtailed , know were you mean Dellwood,I have stopped there before. I used to go and wild camp at the back of the dunes at Druridge Bay but cant park there anymore { National Trust} own the land and have dug a trench along side of the track,so you can`t pull off and stop on the grass. It`s a shame as this is a really nice beach the whole area is outstandingly beautiful :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I am afraid that the efforts with the ditch at Druridge haven't stopped the fly tipping. What a mess there was the last time we were up there:Eeek:, and your right it's another beautiful spot spoiled.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chrisatthecastle

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Funster No
Bamburgh Car parks

Hi,

So that you don't need to 'keep an eye on things' I am quite happy to be upfront about what we are doing. Yes, we are putting up height restriction barriers on both car parks. There is actually a sign in the second car park as well, there were new ones but some happy campers thought fit to remove them. This is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and forms part of the Cpastal Area of Outstnading Natural Beauty which has on numerous occasions been spoilt by the presence of up to 20 camper vans in this car park. There are some very well kept official sites in the vicinity and I would urge people to use them.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Regards

Chris

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
So now we know, not only are motor homes a blot on the landscape we will now be barred from parking in this area of outstanding beauty.Yes the camp sites in the area are very good but it still doesn`t help when your only means of transport is a motor home and you want to park up and visit for the day. Thank you bamburgh car parks for taking the time to inform us of your intentions . I wonder why i don`t bother to spend my time and money to visit the area any longer.

(viva la France ! ) :thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Isn't the point, though, that if people had only gone to park up and visit for the day there would not have been a problem?

As Chris said, the place is not only a AONB but also a SSSI. Indiscriminate human activity overnight in an SSSI can have detrimental effects on the local wildlife and those of us who own motorhomes must understand that.

Graham

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi,

So that you don't need to 'keep an eye on things' I am quite happy to be upfront about what we are doing. Yes, we are putting up height restriction barriers on both car parks. There is actually a sign in the second car park as well, there were new ones but some happy campers thought fit to remove them. This is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and forms part of the Cpastal Area of Outstnading Natural Beauty which has on numerous occasions been spoilt by the presence of up to 20 camper vans in this car park. There are some very well kept official sites in the vicinity and I would urge people to use them.

Regards

Chris

This has very little to do with Site of Special Scientific Interest it is to do with site owner who think they are missing out, they see 20 M/H parked up and think 20x £15-£20+ not comming my way.

I wonder if they need planning to put up barriers on a Site of Special Scientific Interest?

How come Chrisatthecastle just happened to be on this site?

Dave

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Even if you use one of the "Local" sites, they are hardly within easy walking distance and as the car parks are now out of bounds, we would not be able to visit that particular part of Bamburgh. :Sad:
Now I know why we are trying France for a holiday this summer ::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi,

Regards

Chris

Thanks for clarifying the matter. The attitude is quite clear, our money an presence is not wanted or welcome in the area. No point in visiting a place you cannot park. I'll spend my hard earned cash elsewhere. Your loss. I wildcamp, wild park or whatever you call it. Do not, will not use a site. I am not a sheep to be herded, I am a free spirit; but whilst I park free I do spend a lot in the local economy. I am of restricted mobility, so need to be where I want to be but can eat and drink for England. Hee hee.
The general attitude to motorhomes in the UK is outdated and misguided. The French learned which side their bread was buttered on years ago.
:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Chrisatthecastle if you are following this thread could you please tell me the height od the barrier?
Wild camping can spoil these spots, which actually aren't wild at all, they are car parks. However to raise barriers simply shuts out legitimate visitors. What else would you all suggest?
Violet

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I do not know if chrissatthecastle income depends on visitors but if you have height barriers stopping people parking for the day to enjoy this lovely area I for one will no longer visit where I cannot park my van for the day. I have stayed on proper sites when in this area and only used carparks in the daytime but now you say I am no longer welcome in my motorhome and have put up barriers?

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
has chris got a motorhome and yes its just typical of england they would charge us for the air if they could so where do coaches park if anyone from other parts want to come to see our beautiful country

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
There is a large carpark below the castle which could be used for Coaches & I presume motorhomes, at a cost. The walk to the village is then along a narrow pathway on a very busy road. From the village you can access the Wynd & make your way to the carparks (with height barriers to be) and along to Stag Rock & the access points to the beach along the road.
Far too far for my disabled wife to manage. :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It isn't about money though is it? The legislation surrounding AONBs and SSSIs is there to protect them for all of us, not as some sort of downer on motorhome owners.

Chris mentioned that a sign had been removed in the second car park. Perhaps the use of the phrase "happy campers" is not the most diplomatic but would any of us condone vandalism such as that anywhere else?

Permanent height barriers are something of a blunt instrument. Personally I would prefer to see hinged ones which could be opened to allow day visitors and closed at night. They would, of course, have to be backed up with fines because there would be bound to be a few who would not make it back in time before the barrier was closed and "have to spend the night in the van".

The points made about going where we are welcome are valid. However, is it not part of our responsibility one for another to ensure that we go where we know we are welcome and don't just assume we are welcome because it suits us? Should we not, at least, make sure we are not breaking the law before we park up for an overnight stay?

Graham

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi,

Regards

Chris

Firstly. Thanks for your information

I’m assuming you don’t own a motorhome Chris but are somehow involved with the castle and the afore mentioned car parks. Most motorhomes are self contained units in that they don’t need campsite facilities. Many cost in excess of £50000 and even a 20 year old model can cost in excess of £15000. They are generally owned by wealthy middle aged to older couples and families. I am sure the main reason these Motorhomers wish to park there is to use the wonderful beach, visit Bamburgh (its pubs and shops) and of course visit the castle.

In France last summer I visited the famous Châteaux Villandry in the Loire Valley and the even more famous Mont St Michel in Normandy. Both had car parks right outside and Motorhomes were positively welcomed to stay overnight. At Villandry they could park for free, at Mont St Michel they had to pay 8 Euros. This is typical of France and indeed most of Europe. They have the sense to put aside areas for Motorhomes to park in villages, near attractions and in towns and cities. They do this purely for Motorhomes as they are recongnised as being self contained and occupied by owners who are well behaved with money to spend. In France they are called Aires de Service. Many are free and usually there is waste disposal and water available but not always.

There are tens of thousands of motorhomers in the UK. If you read the forums you will find that great swathes of them disappear often for long periods to the continent where our European cousins have had the foresight to recognise an opportunity and provide facilities for their needs.

It is a while since I have been to Bamburgh and I’m not totally familiar with the car park situation anymore but it would seem to me that rather than alienate and turn away the motorhoming community you have a perfect opportunity to encourage them in a similar way to the owners of Villandry and Mont St Michel have. Even a small overnight charge would not be objected to or you could put aside half a dozen spots for vans to park and no more. To simply tell them to use campsites or prevent them from parking is not going to work and is an opportunity lost.

I doubt this country will ever have the sense to replicate the French Aires System but individual sites that do will certainly be welcomed by the Motorhome community and will bring in visitors.

Thanks
Barry

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Firstly. Thanks for your information

I’m assuming you don’t own a motorhome Chris but are somehow involved with the castle and the afore mentioned car parks. Most motorhomes are self contained units in that they don’t need campsite facilities. Many cost in excess of £50000 and even a 20 year old model can cost in excess of £15000. They are generally owned by wealthy middle aged to older couples and families. I am sure the main reason these Motorhomers wish to park there is to use the wonderful beach, visit Bamburgh (its pubs and shops) and of course visit the castle.

In France last summer I visited the famous Châteaux Villandry in the Loire Valley and the even more famous Mont St Michel in Normandy. Both had car parks right outside and Motorhomes were positively welcomed to stay overnight. At Villandry they could park for free, at Mont St Michel they had to pay 8 Euros. This is typical of France and indeed most of Europe. They have the sense to put aside areas for Motorhomes to park in villages, near attractions and in towns and cities. They do this purely for Motorhomes as they are recongnised as being self contained and occupied by owners who are well behaved with money to spend. In France they are called Aires de Service. Many are free and usually there is waste disposal and water available but not always.

There are tens of thousands of motorhomers in the UK. If you read the forums you will find that great swathes of them disappear often for long periods to the continent where our European cousins have had the foresight to recognise an opportunity and provide facilities for their needs.

It is a while since I have been to Bamburgh and I’m not totally familiar with the car park situation anymore but it would seem to me that rather than alienate and turn away the motorhoming community you have a perfect opportunity to encourage them in a similar way to the owners of Villandry and Mont St Michel have. Even a small overnight charge would not be objected to or you could put aside half a dozen spots for vans to park and no more. To simply tell them to use campsites or prevent them from parking is not going to work and is an opportunity lost.

I doubt this country will ever have the sense to replicate the French Aires System but individual sites that do will certainly be welcomed by the Motorhome community and will bring in visitors.

Thanks
Barry

Well said Barry, what you have written here is 100% correct and would surely have the support and be echoed by every person / family that own a motorhome.

Why oh why do some of the British local council authorities have such a tunnel view on what would be a nice little earner for the local community, they should all go down to the ferry terminals and see just how many motorhomes leave our shores taking with them lots of hard earned cash that could have been spent in their towns.
Maybe the people that own these local businesses should be taking this up with their councils and ask why they are depriving them of this very lucrative business opportunity.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Why oh why do some of the British local council authorities have such a tunnel view.

Because they are only interested in local people, because only local people can vote them in to power. Why would self serving politicians care about anyone whose vote is not within their own electoral boundary?
The local campsite or hotel owner has got a far louder voice than you because he has got a vote there and you haven't.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Because they are only interested in local people, because only local people can vote them in to power. Why would self serving politicians care about anyone whose vote is not within their own electoral boundary?
The local campsite or hotel owner has got a far louder voice than you because he has got a vote there and you haven't.

Yes this is probably why but can someone explain to me why if you go to France, Germany, Italy (this list goes on) why their local councils have provided Aires just for Motorhomes?

I can appreciate campsite owners thinking they are loosing business but they will still get caravans and tents and motorhomes who perfer campsites. The Motorhomers that choose to use Aires, Wildcamp or want to park at the Bamburgh car parks will not suddenly elect to go on the local campsite they will probably just go somewhere else. Its all about freedom of choice. I personally wont spend £25 a night on a site if I only need water and somwhere to empty the waste every 4 days. Many need to be able to park near the attractions so they can walk to see them. I need nothing else. I might however pay a fiver to use the campsite facilities for 20 minutes. Its not being tight its a principle and the joy of being independent in a motorhome. I wouldnt think twice of paying the entrance fee for the castle and then spending perhaps £50 on a meal and some gifts in Bamburgh.

Chris, if you are reading this I and the other members would welcome your response. I promise on behalf of the funsters we wont bite your head off and the debate will be civilised. (please be nice everyone)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)Why oh why do some of the British local council authorities have such a tunnel view on what would be a nice little earner for the local community, they should all go down to the ferry terminals and see just how many motorhomes leave our shores taking with them lots of hard earned cash that could have been spent in their towns.
(snip).

In my experience - and I've contacted all local authorities in England, Scotland and Wales - it's because the majority of approaches they have had from motorhome owners have been whinging and complaining rather than constructive.

If people would contact councils in the same vein as Barry's post then it may well be that something positive would come of it. Such approaches have, after all, worked in other places already. The problem is that very, very few people are prepared to put in the effort which making, and following up, such contacts would involve.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes this is probably why but can someone explain to me why if you go to France, Germany, Italy (this list goes on) why their local councils have provided Aires just for Motorhomes?(snip)

Isn't it mainly to do with the differences in culture between the UK and mainland European countries which have evolved over scores - or more - of years? And to do with the fact that the UK is relatively small and less rural compared to continental countries?

We have seen on other threads in recent months (on this and other forums) that Spain and Portugal are restricting overnight stopping by motorhomes. Could this be that they are only now experiencing difficulties which the UK first experienced in the 1950s and 1960s (before most of us ever thought of buying a motorhome) so are "catching up"?

All the more argument for responsible motorhome owners, who would like to see aire type facilities, to make contact with their local councils and see if something can be achieved so that the desire to stay off-site can be satisfied whilst special areas like SSSIs are still protected.

Graham

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
We have seen on other threads in recent months (on this and other forums) that Spain and Portugal are restricting overnight stopping by motorhomes. Could this be that they are only now experiencing difficulties which the UK first experienced in the 1950s and 1960s (before most of us ever thought of buying a motorhome) so are "catching up"?

Motor homers tend to get the blame for leaving litter, when in fact it is far more likely to be car drivers who don't have the space or the organisation in their vehicles to carry a litter bin like motor homers do. I suspect the authorities at Bamburgh will only realise this when they have their height barriers, and the litter is still there. Not many councillors are prepared to admit they have made a mistake and take the height barriers away, but it has been known.

As more places restrict (motorhome) parking like this, it overloads the parking in other areas, which consequently introduce restrictions as well. We have seen parking restrictions around the uk snowball into the present unholy mess, with motorhomers so pissed off with Britain we all go over to France and Spain and are now starting to overload a few of the facilities there.....

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I think its going to take some effort and some positive persuasion to alter any local council’s outlook to providing Motorhome parking but it has happened. Like you say you need to put the time and effort in and it may work.

If I was Chris I would be getting my calculator out. If the castle is open for say 34 weeks of the year say 240 days and the number of Motorhomes that are using the car park is what Chris says it is chances are that’s a lot of £7.50 visits. Even if 10 motorhomes a week visit the castle with just 2 people on board that’s £150 per week (over £5K per season March to Nov.) Times that by visits to the village, pubs, gift shops etc??? And that’s only from 10 visits per week. If there are often 20 vans in one day (which is too much really). Good income for just allowing people to park. Charge them if you like, they will still come.

If times are hard in Northumberland like they are everywhere else then I would be looking at every avenue to attract extra income.

Having got my calculator out I can see why the French are so accommodating at their attractions!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think its going to take some effort and some positive persuasion to alter any local council’s outlook to providing Motorhome parking but it has happened. Like you say you need to put the time and effort in and it may work.

If I was Chris I would be getting my calculator out. If the castle is open for say 34 weeks of the year say 240 days and the number of Motorhomes that are using the car park is what Chris says it is chances are that’s a lot of £7.50 visits. Even if 10 motorhomes a week visit the castle with just 2 people on board that’s £150 per week (over £5K per season March to Nov.) Times that by visits to the village, pubs, gift shops etc??? And that’s only from 10 visits per week. If there are often 20 vans in one day (which is too much really). Good income for just allowing people to park. Charge them if you like, they will still come.

If times are hard in Northumberland like they are everywhere else then I would be looking at every avenue to attract extra income.

Having got my calculator out I can see why the French are so accommodating at their attractions!

It isn't anything to do with daytime parking is it? Dick's OP referred to a ban on overnight parking and I took it that Chris's reference to 20 vans thus also meant overnight.

The problem has occurred not as a result of legal and appropriate use of the car park by responsible MH owners but as a result of abuse by people who think legislation does not apply to them - one of whom removed one of the signs and thus lulled Dick into thinking he was behaving legally when he stayed where he did.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Motor homers tend to get the blame for leaving litter, when in fact it is far more likely to be car drivers who don't have the space or the organisation in their vehicles to carry a litter bin like motor homers do. I suspect the authorities at Bamburgh will only realise this when they have their height barriers, and the litter is still there. Not many councillors are prepared to admit they have made a mistake and take the height barriers away, but it has been known.
(snip)
Sorry, Peter, but where does litter come into it? Chris's post doesn't say anything at all about litter.

Graham

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Quote:
. Could this be that they are only now experiencing difficulties which the UK first experienced in the 1950s and 1960s

Exactly what were the difficulties then,

As far as I can see the whole issue about parking & so called wild camping will always be a problem in this country .It seems that the majority of none motorhomers can`t understand the total freedom and independence of motor homing gives, The whole point is that this country will never be as understanding towards the needs of the motor home fraternity than most of our European cousins are. There are those of us who will, and those of us who won`t (wild camp Free camp) call it whatever, as long as we are all enjoying our chosen hobby or lifestyle LETS GET ON WITH IT.:thumb::thumb:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Sorry, Peter, but where does litter come into it? Chris's post doesn't say anything at all about litter.

Graham

Fair comment Graham. I assumed, perhaps over optimistically, that there must have been litter problems there, as I cannot see any other legitimate reason for preventing parking there.

(I realise it would be too much to ask some councils to place litter bins in lay bys, as they prefer to spend our road taxes (passed on from the Government) on £500,000+ salaries for council leaders.)

If it isn't litter, can I ask what the problem is?

Apart from the obvious local hoteliers and camp site owners peeved to see people enjoying the countryside without paying them money.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Quote:
. Could this be that they are only now experiencing difficulties which the UK first experienced in the 1950s and 1960s

Exactly what were the difficulties then,
Indiscriminate camping (mainly caravans then of course, rather than motorhomes) which led to the passing of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

As far as I can see the whole issue about parking & so called wild camping will always be a problem in this country .It seems that the majority of none motorhomers can`t understand the total freedom and independence of motor homing gives, The whole point is that this country will never be as understanding towards the needs of the motor home fraternity than most of our European cousins are. There are those of us who will, and those of us who won`t (wild camp Free camp) call it whatever, as long as we are all enjoying our chosen hobby or lifestyle LETS GET ON WITH IT.:thumb::thumb:

But if you take that to its logical conclusion you are saying that everyone should be able to do just what they like, without control. That is obviously not a practical proposition so it's a matter of where the lines are drawn.

Simply ignoring legislation will only result in further restriction. If the argument for "the total freedom and independence of motor homing" can be made then make it - approach councils and other organisations in a positive and constructive manner and show them the economic advantages of creating aire type facilities. Don't give in and simply become one of the people who are not prepared to put in the effort which making, and following up, such contacts would involve.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
If it isn't litter, can I ask what the problem is?

It's as I said in my initial post on this thread. Indiscriminate human activity overnight in an SSSI can have detrimental effects on the local wildlife.

Apart from the obvious local hoteliers and camp site owners peeved to see people enjoying the countryside without paying them money.

Sorry but I think that's a red herring. There may be some cases where camp site owners have lobbied councils to restrict overnighting in an attempt to boost their trade but I've never seen any solid evidence. If anyone has such evidence I would be pleased to see it so that an argument could be mounted against it.

In the case of Bamburgh, though, it is simply the detrimental effect on the SSSI/AONB which was cited by Chris. The accompanying mention of sites in the vicinity was only to point out that there are places available.

Graham

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
It's as I said in my initial post on this thread. Indiscriminate human activity overnight in an SSSI can have detrimental effects on the local wildlife.

Sorry but I think that's a red herring. There may be some cases where camp site owners have lobbied councils to restrict overnighting in an attempt to boost their trade but I've never seen any solid evidence. If anyone has such evidence I would be pleased to see it so that an argument could be mounted against it.

In the case of Bamburgh, though, it is simply the detrimental effect on the SSSI/AONB which was cited by Chris. The accompanying mention of sites in the vicinity was only to point out that there are places available.

Graham

Thanks for the clarification Graham. That would go some way to explaining the difference in attitude between Britain and the rest of Europe. Britain apparently being more a nation of animal lovers, which some people take to the extent of thinking animals more important than people. (For example the RSPB opposing planning permission for housing because that the land is inhabited by wild birds.)

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Graham

Graham,

This from Natural England it is the SSSI notification why it is a SSSI there is no mention of local wildlife only grasses and bugs over night parking will be just the same a day time. The detrimental effect M?H may have on this site at night would be to couples out for a good time in the dunes.

County:​
Northumberland Site Name: Bamburgh Dunes
Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) notified under Section
28 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981, as amended.

Local Planning Authority:​
Berwick upon Tweed Borough Council
Northumberland County Council

National Grid Reference:​
NU 188350 Area: 44.64 (ha) (ac)

Ordnance Survey Sheet 1:50 000​
75 1:10 000 NU 13 NE
NU 13 SE

Date of Notification:​
28 February 1995

Other Information:​
The site abuts the Northumberland Shore SSSI along the seaward edge of the sand dunes.​
Description and Reasons for Notification:​
Bamburgh Dunes are a wide coastal sand dune system formed to the north and east of the Whin Sill
outcrop on which Bamburgh Castle is built. The dune system comprises a series of irregular parallel
ridges and hummocks with a low-lying marsh and damp hollows supporting dune slack features. At
the southern limit, the dune system narrows to a single ridge. This complex of dune features support a
diverse range of plant communities typical of the natural succession of coastal dune systems, although
such diversity is uncommon in dune systems along the coast of North East England. The area is also
important for its assemblage of invertebrates, including several nationally rare and scarce species.
The vegetation of the dune system displays the successive establishment of plants from open beach to
dune grassland. To the front of the dunes sea sandwort​
Honkenya peploides grows on the strandline
trapping blown sand which builds up to form the foredunes held in place by sand couch
Elymus
farctus
, lyme-grass Leymus arenarius and the more widespread marram Ammophila arenaria.
Plants with rosettes of leaves, including common ragwort
Sencio jacobea and creeping thistle

Cirsium arvense​
, grow in the shelter of these grasses along with a number of mosses including

Brachythecium albicans​
and Tortula ruralis spp. ruraliformis. Common restharrow Ononis
repens
can also be found within this foredune community.
The more established vegetation, known as grey dune, is characterised by marram and red fescue

Festuca rubra​
grasses, interspersed with a lower-plant turf comprising areas of lichens and mosses,
most commonly lichens of the
Cladonia group and dog lichen Peltigera canina sl. in association with
several mosses including
Hypum cupressiforme, Rhytidiadelphus species and Hylocomium
splendens
. Herbs found in these grey dunes include sand sedge Carex arenaria, mouse-ear
hawkweeds
Pilosella officinarum group, hare’s-foot clover Trifolium arvense, carline thistle

Carlina vulgaris​
, common centaury Centaurium erythraea and hard fern Blechnum spicant. On
older more stable dunes, dune grassland has formed characterised by red fescue, smooth meadowgrass

Poa pratensis​
, field wood-rush Luzula campestris, mouse-ear hawkweeds, cat’s-ear

Hypochoeris radicata​
, rough hawkbit Leontodon hispidus and upright hedge-parsley Torilis
japonica
Level hollows, known as dune slacks, are particularly species-rich with few-flowered spike-rush

Eleocharis quinqueflora​
and selfheal Prunella vulgaris being characteristic of the community and
associated with the autumn gentian
Gentiana amarella spp. septentrionalis, early-purple orchid

Orchis mascula​
, common centaury and the nationally scarce seaside centaury Centaurium littorale.
A population of club-moss
Salaginella selaginoides is also present. In damper areas, marsh
pennywort
Hydrocotyle vulgaris is abundant. Along the stream, which adds further diversity to the
site, yellow iris
Iris pseudacorus and hairy willowherb Epilobium hirsutum dominate the swamp
community along with meadowsweet
Filipendula ulmaria and greater pond-sedge Carex riparia.
A variety of insects and other invertebrates are associated with the duneland communities; nearly 500
species have been identified including 15 nationally rare or scarce species. These scarce species
include a plant hopper
Dicranotropis divergens, a grass-mining fly Opomyza punctata, both
particularly associated with the dune slacks, and a shore fly
Psilopa marginella is also found
throughout the dune system. The older grey dune areas are particularly rich in invertebrates with over
half the scarce species found here. These include a ladybird beetle
Scymus schmidti, a bee fly

Phthiria pulicaria​
, a dance fly Hilara clypeata, several other small flies and Drassylus lutetianus, a
gnaphosid spider which, away from the Northumberland dunes, has only been recorded in the south
of England and Wales. Other invertebrates found here are considered to be specialists, associated
with particular habitat characteristics. The wet areas within the dunes hold a number of associated
specialist species including several different beetles, whilst the grey dune and marram areas are

particularly important for many dune specialists and for many species associated with dry habitats.

Chris is only using the SSSI as a means to stop M/H parking in the hope they will use the local campsites. It also seems Chris has gone to ground since his first post.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back