Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just out of curiosity,,

How often do you Start/Run/Move your Motorhome through the winter months ??????

I usually Start mine every fortnight, and leave it running for 15 mins or so..

And move it up and down the drive once a month.. just to get things lubricated.. :thumb:

Or is it best to leave it stood ?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Mo

We take ours out for a run every 2 - 3 weeks during the winter months.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have used ours almost every other weekend this year. We do have a little problem that the rear brakes stick on sometimes, and it takes a bit of backward/forward movement to release them. (not amusing for Mrs Colpot as M/Home is parked about 6 inches from the house!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi
If your going to start it you should run it till the engines up to full temperature. Starting for a couple of minutes wears the engine out very quickly and also corrodes the exhaust from the inside due to condensation.

You would be best to take the van for a run for 14 - 20 mins every week just to keep things moving ans prevent things like handbrakes siezing on. we often take our for a run on a sunday to a nice laybye we know overlooking the river trent and make a cup of tea. Look at a bit of wildflife and come back home again

Phill

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
how often

if you can make sure the van is realy chocked, leave the handbrake off, its this that normaly rusts up, also as others have said, there is very little engine lube in first 10 mins, one reason for never starting and moving straight off, even in the warm, i use mine as my every day vehicle, its only 6 miles to work, s:ROFLMAO:o at times i take a longer route, never had flat batteries,, ha ha,, now watch this space

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Prolonged idling bad. Not so sure on newer engine designes but it certainly used to be a given that older engines didn't oil properly at idle therefore don't let them idle for long.

Handbake, everyone should have a Hillman Imp as a first car, you quickly learn NEVER leave the handbrake on for more than few days! I had three, glutton for punishment me, and they were all the same.

I never leave hanbrake on, except where it's essential, ie parked on steep slope, and if I can I still try for chocks. That said with an RV we've got auto trans so we have the park function in the box, bit more solid than leaving a manual in gear but common sence must prevail, ie if the slopes beyond gentle saftey first.

We too go for a run every couple of weeks if the 'vans parked up, it's not just about getting the engine warmed up it's all the drive train, drying out the exhaust, getting the brakes clean etc etc. That said it's been some time since we've needed a specific exsersize run:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Just out of curiosity,,
I usually Start mine every fortnight, and leave it running for 15 mins or so..
And move it up and down the drive once a month.. just to get things lubricated.. :thumb:
Or is it best to leave it stood ?

Is this a sex forum?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

PS you should get some replies now!:Eeek:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Clearly not often enough!!!!

The van was booked in for a new rear axle this morning but refused to start!

Hank the Tank is in discrace (well I guess its my fault not the vans really)

Its sat on Charge now which is a military exercise here (wont go into details)

I think the idea of driving for 20 min every week is good but in practice never happens here. Normally we would be using the van a lot but since hes being diagnosed as needing a new axle I havent dared drive him since Jan. Having said that I suspect hes done several thousand miles on a dodgy axle.

If it doesnt start in 30 min time the toys will come out of the pram!

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
I planned to take ours for a run at least once a month over the winter. However after great intentions a combination of poor weather, a lack of desire on my part to get it dirtier than it already was plus Christmas and other stuff - all mean't it did not move from December 10th until March 7th.

I did fit a trickle charger to the engine battery over Christmas.

On Sunday I took it for a 30 minute run and washed it down completely, must try harder next winter.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If it doesnt start in 30 min time the toys will come out of the pram!

want to buy my beast, hee hee.
Moving the van once a week was the plan, keeps brakes and clutch free and ensures battery is kept fully charged. In practice it got used over christmas to the new year then laid up untill this week. clutch and breaks were fine. all ready for the off then.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
want to buy my beast, hee hee.
Moving the van once a week was the plan, keeps brakes and clutch free and ensures battery is kept fully charged. In practice it got used over christmas to the new year then laid up untill this week. clutch and breaks were fine. all ready for the off then.

The van did start and is now in the garage!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back