Owl wireless electricity monitor. (1 Viewer)

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
:Smile:We have just been sent a owl electricity monitor from uSwitch.com and I'm wondering if it could be or if it is compable to be fitted to our rv.It just seems a good idea when the hairdryer etc is plugged in just to keep an eye on what leccy we are using.
If anyone out there has fitted one then I would be grateful for any advice,ie which wire to clamp it to etc.

Regards. John P.

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
I have not tried one on a an RV because I have not got one yet, :cry: but I fitted one at home and you need to clip it round one of the two main supply cables going to your fuse box red or black and it should start to give you a reading

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Thanks John,The way you connected yours is as per instructions but on the rv I have the blue main hook up cable going into the consumer unit then an asortment of wires coming out the top,some heading into the transformer and back again and others disappearing into boxes.On the consumer unit I have the main on/off switch and two trip switches,one labelled transformer and the other 240 volt sockets.There is obviously a feed that heads off to the main internal fuse box located below the control panel.I wish I'd served my time as a spark instead of a plumber !

Regards, John P.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Superb piece of kit.
Check here............. Link Removed .................

for more info.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi John
I fitted mine inside the RV consumer unit but it was a tight squeeze

Alternatively, you could fit it to the EHU cable just before it enters the consumer unit.
Carefully slit the sheath and fish out either red or black core and put the clamp around it

I found it one of the most useful accessories, no more trips and having to call out the warden at dark o'clock .. also useful to monitor when your on metered leccy

For a 16A supply, set the alarm at 3.6kw ..

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Hi Jim,I've just read through the instructions regarding the alarm,the one I've got must be a cheap one cos no mention of an alarm.not to worry it was free anyway so when installed I'll just keep my eye on it especially when the hairdryers etc come out.

Many thanks, John P. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim,I've just read through the instructions regarding the alarm,the one I've got must be a cheap one cos no mention of an alarm.not to worry it was free anyway so when installed I'll just keep my eye on it especially when the hairdryers etc come out.

Many thanks, John P. :thumb:

the owl doesnt show amps, only kilowatts/watts but a simple convertion will sort that out.

divide watts by 230 and that will give the amps:thumb:

ie: 3680w / 230v = 16amps

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Just fitted the owl and you are all correct,what a great bit of kit.
Now,when Jim said you can set the alarm to whatever you want then this got me thinking,My wife is always on at me regarding stuff she buys ending up in the rv,she wanted this owl to be fitted to the house to monitor our leccy bill.I will inform her that she is right and we need another owl at which I will buy the one with the alarm and swap them over.Ingenious or what ! Now which make and model is fitted with the alarm device please ?

John P.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just fitted the owl and you are all correct,what a great bit of kit.
Now,when Jim said you can set the alarm to whatever you want then this got me thinking,My wife is always on at me regarding stuff she buys ending up in the rv,she wanted this owl to be fitted to the house to monitor our leccy bill.I will inform her that she is right and we need another owl at which I will buy the one with the alarm and swap them over.Ingenious or what ! Now which make and model is fitted with the alarm device please ?

Glad you like it .. here is the kiddy you want at a good price
Link Removed

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Jim.Going to order on line now before wifey comes in from work then I can tell her what a great favour I've done her lol !

Regards,John P.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no model number on my owl but it has a part number CM119 on the back at the very top above 'made in china'

it has the alarm mode.

off white in colour, about 4" X 5" X 1"
takes 3 AA cells
three buttons at the bottom...'mode' 'adjust' and 'set'

if this doesnt help i'll photo it and post a pic.

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Yep thats the one and I got a fiver discount,I ordered it from owl earlier tonight,
certainly takes the guess work out of what to plug in and what not to,
Thanks fella's for all the advice.

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Hi John
I fitted mine inside the RV consumer unit but it was a tight squeeze

Alternatively, you could fit it to the EHU cable just before it enters the consumer unit.
Carefully slit the sheath and fish out either red or black core and put the clamp around it

I found it one of the most useful accessories, no more trips and having to call out the warden at dark o'clock .. also useful to monitor when your on metered leccy

For a 16A supply, set the alarm at 3.6kw ..

Evening all,My owl turned up today and very pleased with it.This question is gonna get me ripped to shreds cos I can't find the solution and I'm sure I'm being stupid !
How the hell do you set the alarm at 3.6kw,I can only set the thing to go off when I enter a sum of money ie to go off when say I've used a tenners worth of leccy.
It is the same model as Jims and Papajohns,part no cm119.
What am I missing ???????

Many thanks, John P.:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
be interesting to see jims reply to this.....i cant set mine on anything other than cost either:Doh:

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Papajohn,you just made me feel a whole lot better !
Just a thought while I'm waiting for my tea,Is there a way of working out how much 3.6kw would cost then set it that way or is that another daft question ?
Clutching at straws now.

John P.
:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Papajohn,you just made me feel a whole lot better !
Just a thought while I'm waiting for my tea,Is there a way of working out how much 3.6kw would cost then set it that way or is that another daft question ?
Clutching at straws now.

John P.
:Eeek:

you couldnt really do it that way for the van as campsites dont charge by the unit....usually fixed price whether you use it all or not.:Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How the hell do you set the alarm at 3.6kw,I can only set the thing to go off when I enter a sum of money ie to go off when say I've used a tenners worth of leccy.

Hi

You are correct, the alarm is on the cost of the leccy being used

.. so , for easy calculations,

set the tarriff at 10p per kw unit ..

then set the alarm for .... 36p which = 3.6kw.

using the equation Watts/Volts = Amps

gives you the alarm at 15.6 Amps

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Papajohn,It will be interesting what Jim says ,hopefully he'll be along in a minute.
My apologies to Brian,obviously I meant to say,if the owl is showing 3.5kw and you're on 16 amp hook up you would nt be daft enough to plug anything else in or you will blow the fuse.It just takes the guesswork away.

Regards,John P.:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Papajohn,It will be interesting what Jim says ,hopefully he'll be along in a minute.
My apologies to Brian,obviously I meant to say,if the owl is showing 3.5kw and you're on 16 amp hook up you would nt be daft enough to plug anything else in or you will blow the fuse.It just takes the guesswork away.

Hi John .. post must have crossed.. :roflmto:

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
You are a star Jim,I did nt think my question was that daft,Get down to Carvynick the week after easter and I'll buy you a pint !

Many thanks
John P :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
.It just takes the guesswork away.

Hi John

It certainly does, it's all very well knowing what the labels say , but when you have a multitude of stuff plugged in you soon lose track of it , TV, digi box, laptop(s), phone and camera chargers, etc all add up and who knows what EVERY appliance uses ?

Then there are the 'hidden' loads we tend to forget about which 'cycle' on and off.. lthe fridge, water heater and battery charger..

IMO , It is one of the most useful accessories you can buy..

I'll take you up on a pint of orange juice one day .. thanks for the offer::bigsmile: :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My apologies to Brian,obviously I meant to say....

No apologies - you did say the right thing. This device is a bit chicken and egg, or catch 22. To anyone unsure of electrics, the person who needs it, the only way they can tell the current is by plugging something in and if it is over the EHU limit all that they know is it goes quiet.

Basically you are using a hammer to drive in screws ! It's a cost measuring tool really.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Then there are the 'hidden' loads we tend to forget about which 'cycle' on and off.. lthe fridge, water heater and battery charger..

And there is why it's a hammer driving is screws - you look at it - ah 'er indoors can dry her hair, hair dryer ON. Then the fridge cycles !!!

This is the GPS story - a very dangerous tool if the brain is switched off.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
And there is why it's a hammer driving is screws - you look at it - ah 'er indoors can dry her hair, hair dryer ON. Then the fridge cycles !!!

From my experience, the OWL gives you plenty of warning and time to switch off before the EHU trips.. CBs don't act instantaneously unless it's a huge overload.

As I said, no one can keep track of what is being used at any given time, the OWL provides this information and lets you make a an informed rather than a guesswork decision.

Experience trumps theory ever time .. after fitting we Jan never tripped the EHU again. I was happy and so was the CL owner ..

Anyway.. what's wrong with driving in screws with a hammer.. :roflmto:

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Not a fan then Brian,I just like to keep a check on things and if that is hammering in screws then so be it.
There are so many bits and pieces on the americans as Jim rightly said you can lose track.Anyway its just something else that keeps me quiet (according to my wife) so I still think they are a great idea.

Regards John P.:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not a fan then Brian
Regards John P.:Smile:

Excellent tool but borderline in this application.

I made one that sent it's data to the PC and presented it in Excel. Really all it proved was we were using a fair bit of electricity - all of it was more or less essential so I stopped using it. A bit depressing really.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back