Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hi all, long time no speak, looking at Gulfstream rv"s, at Oakwell rv, has anyone dealt with them? Thanks:Smile: PaulH

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The Gulfstream BT Cruiser was on our list of B (C) Class RVs and the reception and assistance at Oakwell was good. Although we decided against the Gulfstream there is one proviso, one member of staff told me that on a C1+ E (107) licence I could drive an RV above 7.5 tons gvw, that is incorrect, the limit is 7500kg gvw , 8250kg gtw.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
In my opinion a very reputable family firm - and in six years of dealing with RV dealers, I have never heard a word said against them. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
I looked at several A class rv's at Oakwell,well presented and not all pushy,I did'nt buy but not because of any thing in particular but we fell in love with our Seabreeze from Itchy Feet.We had one follow up call from Oakwell and when I told him we had found one somewhere else then no problem unlike one dealer I could mention who in my opinion you could certainly come away with something you did nt want to buy if you were'nt of strong charactor !
Hope this helps.

Regards, John P.

OP
OP
P

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for the replies, we"re looking at the Gulfstream Independance as its not to big and yet seems to have a layout that will max. the space available.Gulfstream build quality looks to be ok, having read US reviews, but I"m sure there"ll be plenty of niggles. Re "gassing" it we were told it"s cheaper to use the house gas tank for engine, but surely that would give b**ger all range? Thanks again , PaulH.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Re "gassing" it we were told it"s cheaper to use the house gas tank for engine, but surely that would give b**ger all range?QUOTE]

Before you go ahead with that idea be very sure of your facts!

Unless something has changed quite dramatically since I had my gas conversion done 6 years ago - the gas take-off is different for house gas to engine gas - i.e. the house gas requires 'vapourised gas to the jets of the burners - whilst the engine gas requires liquid gas to the injectors.

Now that may be a very simplified form of explanation but it is one that I understand - the oven/fridge need gas whilst the engine needs liquid - and up until now (maybe) there has not been a way of getting both from the same tank, that I know of.

OK, I am 6 years out of date and things may have changed - but as far as I was concerned I could get about 180 to 200 miles from a full set of engine gas tanks (200 lites) and another 200 miles or so from the 'smaller' petrol tank - so I was constantly looking for somewhere to either fill the petrol or the gas tanks.

If you are going to utilise the house gas tank for the road, I suspect that you are going to run out of gas very much more quickly, it may well cause you cooking, hot water or fridge problems and could also cut short your generator use (if you use an LPG Gene).

I may well be very wrong and things may have changed completely - but just check your facts before you spend a lot of money needlessly.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Hi Paul,nice choice and that's the one I had a good look at.One thing bothering me though,who told you about using the house/domestic lpg tank to run the engine ? as Dick stated you ain't going to go far and unless lpg conversions has completely changed in the last 18 months I can't see it working.My rv was converted at Anglo American in Newport Wales,be careful to contact the right one there's another Anglo American in the south east I think,ask for Steve Griffiths and he will give you sound advice.
If I remember correctly the gulfstream is powered with the triton V10 engine,both my rv's have been tritons and not an ounce of trouble with the gas conversions.

Regards, John P.

OP
OP
P

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
rvDealer/ Gas

Thanks Moandick/Johnpengers, those were my thoughts exactly, our present rv is gassed with 200l tank across the rear chassis, (don"t know who did it but it"s never missed a beat), and even then I seem to fill up a bit too soon!:cry: Yes it does use the Triton v10, I"m used to a 8.1 Vortec , how does anyone think they compare? Cheers PaulH.

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Thanks for the replies, we"re looking at the Gulfstream Independance as its not to big and yet seems to have a layout that will max. the space available.Gulfstream build quality looks to be ok, having read US reviews, but I"m sure there"ll be plenty of niggles. Re "gassing" it we were told it"s cheaper to use the house gas tank for engine, but surely that would give b**ger all range? Thanks again , PaulH.

Hi Paul l neally bought a Independance the 3 slide model, but at Americarna last year a guy had one with top boxes and things tied to his back ladder, l had a chat with him no big lockers anywhere carnt even get your loungers in the lockers put me right off so l got another Winne, the lockers slide out with the side tons of storage, lucky for me l got one of the last Diesels on a Chevy great bit of kit. Paul

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
lpg

hi all, steve griffiths at anglo american in newport did the conversion on my 8.1 v8 chevy,that was four years ago never misses a beat.just had a extra filler put on offside so its easyer in petrol stations [lpg].anglo has done me proud again.approx 10mpg at steady 60mph 2 thou revs, 300mls on lpg tanks.loving it.MUZ

legaleagle

Free Member
Jul 19, 2010
Funster No
In my opinion a very reputable family firm - and in six years of dealing with RV dealers, I have never heard a word said against them. :thumb:

Six years of perfect service is very very impressive. Thanks, I need to check on this.

legaleagle

Free Member
Jul 19, 2010
Funster No
hi all, steve griffiths at anglo american rv rentals in newport did the conversion on my 8.1 v8 chevy,that was four years ago never misses a beat.just had a extra filler put on offside so its easyer in petrol stations [lpg].anglo has done me proud again.approx 10mpg at steady 60mph 2 thou revs, 300mls on lpg tanks.loving it.MUZ

got any pics would love to see the completed look

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back