Broadband by USB (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
I'm using a Vodafone vodem in New Zealand. It's simply a small USB device that plugs into the laptop and provides broadband anywhere there is a reasonable mobile phone signal. It costs me approx £15 per month for 512MB but in reality I seem to use it for all I want and have plenty left at the end of each month.

Is there anything similar to use in the UK and France? I haven't been able to find out how much it will cost to use the one I have if I bring it to Europe. It may not even work I suppose?

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
I use Orange, I get 3gb for £12 per month and get good coverage all over UK and Ireland:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is there anything similar to use in the UK and France? I haven't been able to find out how much it will cost to use the one I have if I bring it to Europe. It may not even work I suppose?

Yes.

Yours may well work but you might find the costs frightening. In EU we really rip people off outside their provider country. WiFi is the way to go for cheap broadband.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Broadband

Hi we are in France at the moment and are finding it easy to use Free Wi Fi on most of the sites and bars that we have visited.
I am at the moment sat in our van on a site in the Alps with free access, we have also used Mcdonalds in the Uk and France which is Free.
We have bought a 3 network dongle for use in the Uk on sites with no Wi Fi it was £79.99 lasts 12 months and is pre loaded (have a look on their site for details)
We did not want to enter into a contract so this seemed for us the best way to go.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First thing to do is check what the roaming charges are with Vodafone in New Zealand. You may well find that it is cheaper to obtain a UK SIM to use in your existing vodem/dongle or even to buy a new dongle (they can be bought in supermarkets as well as shops operated by the networks).

For what is available in the UK, look under Mobile Broadband on the web sites of the various networks. Each has Pay As You Go deals which you may find suitable. Phone signal coverage in the UK is based on population density so a network may cover (say) 95% of the population but that will be rather less than 95% of the land area. Each of the networks has coverage maps so you can check the area(s) where you intend to go to see which is likely to be best for you.

Graham

OP
OP
Tantalus
Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
Thank you all. I am hoping to use aires more than campsites in France so will look into service provision. My one time using McDonalds, a Sunday lunchtime in Calais, still gives me palpitations :Eeek: but will keep it in mind for emergencies.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've never been in a McDonalds - the mere thought gives me palpitations ::bigsmile:.

You can also get free WiFi in the UK in Wetherspoons pubs - if you can tear yourself away from enjoying the beer :Smile:

Graham

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I am using a Vodafone dongle at the moment payg works fine and cheap. When no signal I have a 3 dongle payg also cheap enough :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I'm using a Vodafone vodem in New Zealand. It's simply a small USB device that plugs into the laptop and provides broadband anywhere there is a reasonable mobile phone signal. It costs me approx £15 per month for 512MB but in reality I seem to use it for all I want and have plenty left at the end of each month.

Hi Tantalus....this is Mel in France...you are lucky as there is a new one come out and we have just signed up for it....it is from ORANGE.fr.....it is called FORFAIT BLOQUE...meaning it is a blocked dongle.......but you only pay 1 euro for the locked dongle supplied.
I will send a link but if this does not work I will explain how to get to the offer...when you get into orange on the internet...look for the tabs (about 1" plus down from the top) press on MOBILE..........then click on....Cle 3G+ internet everywhere,.........then click on ....MAITRISER MON BUDGET 9.90 euros mois (meaning per month)...then click on ...Le Forfait Bloque rechargeable 15 euros mois.

now this is a contract for 12 months ...and for that you get 200 Mo (Mo means Mb in France) 7/7..24/24.....and a extra 200 Mo to use at weekends and holidays...( not good I know but it is the best they have over here) there is a mobicarte ONE ..meaning a top up card you would buy from a tobac/cafe shop.. BUT IT is a lot more expensive for less Mb...it is up to you....

this is the link...

http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame.cgi?...fre/internet_everywhere/fie_presentation.html

sometimes they do not work they take you back to the home page ...so follow my instructions.......let me know if you have any problems and we will try and help if possible

Mel.....:thumb:
Now the UK have lots of good deals, so somebody on here from the Uk will help you, this is JUST for FRANCE

This is correct what vera has said....." Hi we are in France at the moment and are finding it easy to use Free Wi Fi on most of the sites and bars that we have visited.
I am at the moment sat in our van on a site in the Alps with free access, we have also used Mcdonalds in the Uk and France which is Free."....that is what we used to do....and will still do to save using our allowance up when we are near a wifi spot but what we have signed is to use in the motorhome anywhere.

I have just tried the link click on.......maîtriser mon budget on that page ....and go on from there........Le Forfait Bloque rechargeable 15 euros mois.

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , loved the look of the orange offer ....so clicked on the link only to discover that this gives you only 2 hours / month at slow speed !!!!

I couldn't download my Emails in that

there are offers for more , but terribly expensive

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
well , loved the look of the orange offer ....so clicked on the link only to discover that this gives you only 2 hours / month at slow speed !!!!

Hi Lebesset.....did you look at the right offer......

Forfait Bloque
This what you get per month
200 Mo…(Mb)….7/7…24h/24 +
200Mo…(Mb)…week end & vacances scolaires( meaning when the schools are on holiday)

This is the example per month from ORANGE
16 hours surfing
or
40000 emails
or
400 photos
Or
200 hours de chat……….(NOT SKYPE Voip)

this is per month

Not sure what you have looked at

Lebesset.....
"well , loved the look of the orange offer ....so clicked on the link only to discover that this gives you only 2 hours / month at slow speed" !!!! :Eeek:

Lebesset could you send your link of what you looked at for us to check....

Can you tell me where you found this offer above of yours.... because ours is up and running and not much slower than our desktop running on landlines connection

Mel :thumb:

Just found what you have looked at....different to ours you have cliked on the one in hours........click on the one below.....15 euros per month

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Lebesset.....well , loved the look of the orange offer ....so clicked on the link only to discover that this gives you only 2 hours / month at slow speed !!!!

The offer I think you have looked at is this one "FORFAIT 2h AJUSTABLE..9.90euros/14.90euros

Could you tell me where you found the speed as we have looked and there is no mention of speed or we have missed it...what ours says it uses ..3g+..3g...Edge ...gprs..wifi for orange hotspots..........but on all the info we have looked at we can not find a speed
see below
Communications incluses dans le forfait choisi :
- Connexions 3G+
- Connexions 3G
- Connexions EDGE/GPRS
- Connexions Wi-Fi (sur les hotspots Wi-Fi d’Orange et de ses partenaires, sous
réserve que votre ordinateur portable soit compatible Wi-Fi.)
- Connexions en mode circuit (CSD)

Mel:thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
.let me know if you have any problems and we will try and help if possible.

I've tried to buy this online-I think it's asking me to 'register' before I can actually complete the transaction.??? ::bigsmile:
Would it be easier to buy it when we get to France rather than from UK ?

Mike.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I've tried to buy this online-I think it's asking me to 'register' before I can actually complete the transaction.??? ::bigsmile:
Would it be easier to buy it when we get to France rather than from UK ?

Mike.

Hi Mike & Carolyn

If you mean to register ...meaning put all your details in...Yes...also if you start having trouble when filling in the info and you get stuck......don't be shocked it you get a chat at the bottom of the screen asking what is the problem (ours was somebody called Thomas from orange) and it allows you to reply on the chat...then he gives you the info you asked for......if you hang about when filling out the form / information you will be timed out just start again............................

Do you live in France.......................

If not,..... to answer your question.."YES" I think it would be best for you to go to an ORANGE shop.

I will explain what we did...we did ours on the internet...and in two days maximum the box arrived with all needed inside box by carrier....dongle and a sim card

And the next day a letter arrived by post with the contract....all very quick

Once you put put your sim in the dongle and then the dongle into the laptop it sets itself Automatically very simple........then we had to activate the sim...this is where we had a bit of a problem, you ring a orange telephone number, it is all automated for you to press the correct numbers, but as they speak quickly we lost the plot after pressing about 6 individual numbers to progress....so we went down to the local ORANGE shop with a printout of the offer FORFAIT BLOQUE and our dongle and sim, explained we was English and we had had trouble listening to the phone questions...he as a very nice chap and helpful and it was not a problem...within two minutes he took out the sim they sent us and put one in from his shop (I would think for commission) tapped a few numbers on his computer he then said it is all up and running and it was............so if we had gone to the shop in the first place, it could have all been done in that day!!! instead of us struggling with the form and telephone????

what they ask for
1/ bank debit / credit card number number that is for 1 euro for the dongle......1 off payment.....( don't forget we did ours on the internet so we must pay by cheque and send all this off in a letter.
2/ send a bank rib
3/ A blank cheque for "0.00" written on the cheque ( I think this to check all is the same e.g rib code)
4/ a cheque for 15 euros ......this is for the first month as they will not have the time to set the Direct debit up in time
5/ a copy Passport ........

This may be different in the shop you may just have to pay in euros and not cheques like us

Another thing that confused us, they sent two sim cards identical just different numbers......why two...so we did not know if we had to register them both as they were on the printout receipt......the man in the Orange shop said the second would be a mistake...but now as he has put his sim in we have the other two spare ??

I hope this has helped you and not confused you ...if you need any more help, just contact us by PM

MEL:thumb:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
hi he yup , thanks for your efforts , however as I live in france [ 25 years ] I don't have great difficulty getting broadband here , as a FON member uk is no problem either
but was interested for spain/portugal , but unfortunately the roaming charges are **** , so no good to me

incidentally , if you are a french resident and can use NEUF as an IP , you don't need anything as you just opt to join NEUF WIFI which is a system like FON and huge numbers of members all over france
unfortunately they are not available where I live :Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back