Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ivy,

I have a friend who takes his Grand Daughter geo caching all the time. They have items which have travelled all over the world.

Not something I have managed to get into.

Regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I havent got a clue, I dont know where I am and the batteries have run out in me thingy :shout:

Jim
:winky:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
No, I would need to be inspired. Then again, apparently there is a cache hidden not to far from here so who knows.

Ivy

ian81

Free Member
May 27, 2008
Funster No
...been doing Geo Tagging for couple of years which I find more interesting and useful. I carry a little QStarz GPS logger which I download the log periodically to the pc and then the supplied software puts the GPS co-ords into the photos which can then be be put on the internet in places like Google earth. Helps when you want to reminisce and think of returning to favourite place.

Some newer high end cameras have an inbuilt GPS and tag them automatically.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Thats what I thought it said at first Geo Catching:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

How fast you running Geo:ROFLMAO:

Sonja

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my bro does geo-caching and really enjoys it.

only thing is he borrowed my hand held Garmin GPS unit and i've never seen it since. :Sad::Angry:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Great Fun (more if you have older grand children)

Finding caches is not as easy as you may think, they can be hidden in many ways. Themed caches are intresting to follow.

My wife found one in a rotting tree trunk. It was a 35mm film canister hidden in a rubber frog !! at first sight it seemed to be a rather dead frog, (don;t ask how we discovered it was dead :cry:

There is a Nelson themed cach of about 5 or six places with caches about Nelsons life and they are spread from Suffolk to London to Portsmouth.

Some clues are like crossword puzzles, and some you have to collect information like a treasure trail to build up the information where the cache is hidden.

You can find them over most of europe. A friend of ours followed a "treaure hunt" trail to a cache in France and ended up at the local private cave (as in wine seller) , where the prize was a tipple !!

A GPS unit is essential and an understanding of maps, loading POIs is an advantage.

Go for it !

Rgds

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Been at it for a few years now.

A bit like hi tec orienteering. We have founds all kinds of interesting places that we would have missed otherwise.

Hopesy

Free Member
Nov 5, 2008
South Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I've just started out on this Geocaching malarky. Found three so far and so bought myself a hand held sat anv (Garmin). SWMBO thinks I'm a bit sad. WE do a fair bit of walking and cycling when away in the van and I find it gives a bit of purpose to the hike. There are lots out there and the puzzle ones appeal to me as well., you've got to solve clues to find the co-ordinates. Ah well at least I'm having fun.:Smile:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Been doing it since last summer, great fun. Helps you get to know your way round strange places and you often learn a lot about the history as well. There are nearly a million caches hidden worldwide.
Over the winter I've been doing it mostly locally by car, but now the warmer weather should be coming and I'll be away at weekends, I'll be doing it from the motorhome more and further afield. Handy because you have the toilet on board and can make yourself a brew instead of having to take a flask. :Smile:

Young kids seem to enjoy it, but my older teenagers weren't interested, so I either do it on my own or with like minded friends.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I've been a cacher for about 5 years though time has been an issue most recently. It combines brilliantly with caravanning (I'm planning a MH) as it will often take you to brilliant places you might not otherwise have found and sometimes gives a bit of local history. I use a PDA which also has TomTom for road navigation. The dogs love it, though Beth tends to cry if we take too long over a find. You'll find caches in the most unusual places. However there is a problem..... its very adictive. Once you've found one, you'll want to look for another.
Happy hunting
Brynric

ScooterSam82

Free Member
May 24, 2008
Nottingham, Uk.
Funster No
MH
Broomstick
Exp
I looove Geo caching and started doing them with my ex acouple of years ago, and this year i made a new account name up, so me and my new boyfriend can start doing more.

we found a great one in nottingham, where Bendigo's grave is.. spent ages trying to solve the clue on this one, and found it just before we gave up, lol

my name on there is samkid2000 if anyone wants to add me, only done 1 cache so far though.. lol ::bigsmile:

anyone can geo cache, young, old, dogs too.. even rats.. as lionheart did afew in his time, :)
(I'm afraid to say that lionheart doesnt have long left, as i got a message from gazz saying, lionheart is dying :cry: sorry JJwagon, as you liked leo. x

geo caches are hidden everywhere, and unless you look on that website, you wouldnt have a qlue that they were there.. ;)

you get to see some amazing places and find some truely wonderful items.. like a 1941 coin. woot! heehee.. got that from the cache in watnall. shh! lol

I'd say geo caching is such fun, geo caching is for everyone..
and someone even made a song about it, :Cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bA6rcyEaVg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bA6rcyEaVg[/ame]

enjoy! lol

also heres a video about geocaching and what it is,
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFvoU7b92Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFvoU7b92Q[/ame]

sorry if these are abit big, this is a good forum :)

Liane

Free Member
May 5, 2010
Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
Exp
Since April 2010
We've been caching since December 2004 and have 3600+ finds to our name, The Cache Hoppers on www.geocaching.com. My partner's caching name is PopUpPirate. As well as finding caches, there are pub, park and camping events to attend. We've set quite a few between us and the calendar for this year is already stacked up with organised meets. We've been using the motorhome for caching. It's pretty good if you are parking up and doing a big series of caches (there are loads of them about) but if you are doing one-off caches then parking up can be a bit of a nightmare. More often than not though when we are away we have the use of another vehicle so the motorhome can stay put whilst we scoot about. I would thoroughly recommend Geocaching to anyone who has a love of the outdoors, young or old, single, couples or families - there's something to suit everyone. :) (just re-read that and it sounds like I'm on commission! :ROFLMAO:)

There's also Link Removed

Last edited:

ScooterSam82

Free Member
May 24, 2008
Nottingham, Uk.
Funster No
MH
Broomstick
Exp
LoL! ::bigsmile:

we did two more caches last week, and one is really getting to us, as we just cant find the thing, :Doh: so shall have to re -read the qlues.. lol :Blush:

The last one we did, was at Greens Mill in nottingham, it was so peaceful.. even though its right near the centre of town.

(Fizz just said, the last one we did was near the galleries of justice,
because he pointed out an Aston Martin DBS coming down the road.. and I almost toppled over, as i turned round to look at it, as i was kneeling down at the time trying to find the cache. :ROFLMAO:

very fun they are too! lol

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
As NavMan says Geocaching is a hi tec bit of orienteering..I've been doing it on and off for around 3 years just when the mood takes.
Thing is there are people who's only aim in life is to mess up the caches..strangely enough these people are called spoilers for obvious reasons
Just down the road from my sisters in Halifax in around a 5 mile radius there are 5 caches...it's good fun give it a try next time you are away!!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
geo caching

wot you been up to now george to make evryone wanna catch you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
regards brian

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Friends of ours love it and keep saying we ought to do it - one day we might :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back