Apr 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
20 years
Hi all, looking for your help.

I hope to purchase a Sat Nav for my motorhome for going to France in the summer. Was wondering if anyone has any experience of Pro Nav PNN200 or the Snooper Ventura S7000? I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Jack the Rev

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would suggest you buy mainstream especially if you are not a big user of them.

I have been involved in three mainstream consumer tests and believe that both TomTom and Garmin are very hard to beat for ease of use and accuracy ( though the TomToms I tried were not quite up to the Garmins .. but as that was last year and development is continuous that info could be out of date )

I currently have 5 Garmins in use on the various vehicles in the family and all have got me in just about every nook and cranny I have ever asked to be 'taken' to all over Europe

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Hi, a bit of advice I think is worth remembering when using a Sat Nav, we have a Tom Tom, is "always" check your map as well. Sat Nav systems are excellent but do not take into account the type of vehicle you are driving and will try to send you via the most direct route.
You can easily find yourself in a very narrow or deteriating road with no place to turn around ! Otherwise it is fantastic !
Also France keep building new roads which may not be recognised by the device.
Happy motoring.
Denny. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We used to have a TomTom go710 which we used in Europe for last 3 years and found it a must but as everywhere the roads are changing and upgrading so we decided to buy a new one instead of paying for updated maps we have now bought a TomTom go 750 live which is brilliant best price off tinternet was £195 post paid a good deal I would not travel without it in UK or Europe BUT as good as they are you also need to have a GOOD road atlas as well .We always use fastest route so it doe's not cut corners and also set to avoid toll routes as we like to meander not blast the motorways in France.

mymotorhome

Free Member
Apr 8, 2009
Uplawmoor Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
12 Months
sat nav

just got my sat nav, somebody on this forum suggested it:thumb:. its atom tom go910(refurbished) came with charger, case, mains charger(various plugs for EU) and computer cable. Its got 1 year warranty, works absolutley great. price them, mine cost £85.10. :Smile:
Cats whiskers.
peter:Smile:

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
This has had excellent reviews, input your vehicle size to avoid narrow roads. [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Satellite-Navigation-Caravans-Vehicles/dp/B002KDTHEA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267898276&sr=1-6[/ame] VMax

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Dont listen to them. Dont get a map. Rely totally on your TomTom when in europe otherwise when you get back you will have no great stories to tell down the pub like - "Remember the time the TomTom took us down that goat track and we almost went over that cliff and it took us three hours to turn around!":Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Barry, there was a picture of a motorhome posted on this site a few months ago that was taking a sharp downhill bend and his rear overhang grounded and left his rear wheels completely off the ground. Dunno how to find it but I wonder how much he planned his route ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Barry, there was a picture of a motorhome posted on this site a few months ago that was taking a sharp downhill bend and his rear overhang grounded and left his rear wheels completely off the ground. Dunno how to find it but I wonder how much he planned his route ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Probably as much as I planned a lot of mine! I remember a couple of times last summer where I was too lazy to look at the map, Knew where I was going and just totally relied on the Sat Nav. Once we ended up trying to turn round on a dead end at an impossible 40 degree angle (well it felt like 40 degrees). I seriously though we were going over! and once we went for miles only to find the road got so bad we had to turn around and go back and yes, read the map.

After a while you just know, and ignore the sat nav. I actually end up arguing with her. If it looks dodgy, it probably is!

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
We have had a Garmin 255W for nearly a year now used it here, and to the S of France and also a trip to Holland, would`nt go without one now, they make life so much easier. Recommend checking the intended route at home before setting out, otherwise let it take do its thing.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete argues with our Tom, esp when he tries to send us down a one way the wrong way. Plus he never seems to know when its market day and they've completely blocked the whole road does he? stupid thing.

Or "Exit Ahead" on motorways, I go yes, but it's 1.795 miles ahead you idiot, don't tell us yet!

Or then when you go somehwere along D roads (because that's where you just happen to be going) for a long while after he thinks D roads are your preference; takes ages but by heck! you see some scenery you wouldn't have seen otherwise!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
garmin

We have a Garmin 610t it nearly had a dickie fit when going down to Cornwall last year, the new dual-carrigeway running alongside the old road, suddenly the Garmin found itself driving in the fileds ha that was fun it didn`t know it`s A*$* from it`s Elbow.
Then in Italy we were looking for a small town between to rather high mountains, it was determined to take us up one mountain and then the other, we just turned the poor thing off to put it out of it`s misery.

I`m just waiting for the time when we ignore a direction for it to say "why the bloody hell did you ask me if you have no intention of listening" :ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note we downloaded the new 2010 upgrade maps but we can`t get them into the garmin, it says not enough space, despite deleted the old maps, tried loading them of the sd card and it says it can`t see the card, yet when you select the photo option it asks from internal memory or sd card. Grrrr

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have a Garmin 765T, 'T' stands for traffic and is a free add-on that allows you to navigate round traffic delays.

Garmin also do a very good deal with updates. For a one-off fee of £99.99 (?) you get map updates forever for the life of your device.

The 765 also has language guides (words and phrases) city guides, bluetooth for handsfree, good MP3 player. Music , driving instructions, and phone calls can be played through your vehicle's stereo system.

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
If more space is neaded on the device you can always delete all the languages except English its suprising how much space all the other languages take up as I can only speak English there is no need to have my tomtom speaking to me in German/Italian /Polish : etc:ROFLMAO:

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
It seems we all have a myriad of tales to tell about satnav - we have one built into our Volvo which I call 'Miss Baxter' as she sounds like a school teacher, and I always feel I should sit up straight and pay attention when she tells me where to go. She sometimes sends us into pretty villages, where there just happens to be a nice pub for lunch.............:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Anyway, back to the subject in hand. We have also (like Jack the Rev) been looking at the ProNav PNN200 for the motorhome, as you can programme in your dimensions (motorhome that is)!! so that, in theory, it won't send you anyway near width restrictions, really low bridges, or any other dodgy bit :Eeek: Anyone have experience of this particular satnav???

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Last summer our ancient TomTom came out with a blinder. We were driving across the Simplon Pass over the Alps between Lake Maggiore in Italy and Switzerland. We just kept going up and up and up and then all of a sudden near the top the TomTom anounces after 100 yards turn left, then TAKE THE FERRY!

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
Last summer our ancient TomTom came out with a blinder. We were driving across the Simplon Pass over the Alps between Lake Maggiore in Italy and Switzerland. We just kept going up and up and up and then all of a sudden near the top the TomTom anounces after 100 yards turn left, then TAKE THE FERRY!

That's brilliant!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So .... did you?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Number one son has a yank thing that has UK maps on it..

First time I heard it I was in fits of laughter !

At the junction make a left

Now drive for ( long pause ) some way

Or

Now drive ........... for a while

There were loads of others but I am blowed if I can remember them !!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Garmin 610t it nearly had a dickie fit when going down to Cornwall last year, the new dual-carrigeway running alongside the old road, suddenly the Garmin found itself driving in the fileds ha that was fun it didn`t know it`s A*$* from it`s Elbow.
Then in Italy we were looking for a small town between to rather high mountains, it was determined to take us up one mountain and then the other, we just turned the poor thing off to put it out of it`s misery.

I`m just waiting for the time when we ignore a direction for it to say "why the bloody hell did you ask me if you have no intention of listening" :ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note we downloaded the new 2010 upgrade maps but we can`t get them into the garmin, it says not enough space, despite deleted the old maps, tried loading them of the sd card and it says it can`t see the card, yet when you select the photo option it asks from internal memory or sd card. Grrrr

My Garmin 865t did that I telephoned the Garmin helpline, they were in fact very helpful and got the problem solved

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have three
1,.....is the Garmin getting a little old now ( 4 years from new and not updated is old) carries a lot of information but can be a little technical and complicated and not all the info is in the book you get...but you can contact the Garmin tech team for help

2,.....is the Tom Tom I find compared to the Garmin a little limited ..very easy to use and a nice sat nav...would not be without it

3,......is the ACER..1 1/2 years old .Mmmm where do I start with this sat nav...it is the biggest load of Sh-T I have ever purchased....always saying battery low and switching off....always in need of being reset......and then going thro the start up procedure when it has frozen up on route......even after a year I had to buy a lithium internal battery £25 + postage to France and take the sat nav totally to pieces to install !!! the Sanyo battery installed, can only be purchased from Garmin, even Sanyo who makes the battery will not sell you one and nobody could sell or cross reference to another make of battery...due to size and terminal connections.. now you can buy a new sat nav for £50...not one of the main brands... with Europe maps installed....So the ACER Mmmm the best place is the bin:Angry:

Which sat nav do I think is the best, even though I like the TomTom, I must say the Garmin,:thumb:

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Probably as much as I planned a lot of mine! I remember a couple of times last summer where I was too lazy to look at the map, Knew where I was going and just totally relied on the Sat Nav. Once we ended up trying to turn round on a dead end at an impossible 40 degree angle (well it felt like 40 degrees). I seriously though we were going over! and once we went for miles only to find the road got so bad we had to turn around and go back and yes, read the map.

After a while you just know, and ignore the sat nav. I actually end up arguing with her. If it looks dodgy, it probably is!

Me to, many many times I have gone up mountain narrow roads only to find it was at the bottom where I turned off!!! about a 500 to 1000 yds on :Angry: I agree trust your instinct, but saying that I would be lost now without them, especially in big towns.

My wife says why have you got three sat navs if you ignore what the say and go your own way........well if I have been here before and know a quicker and better road I do as I say not the sat nav...also the TomTom and the Acer takes me up roads only fit for bicycles and VW campers at a pinch not the motorhome.....one instance both my wheels was running on the kerbs both sides of the motorhome with my wing mirrors sticking out 12" either side of the motorhome !!!!!.....this was in a French town

the garmin I can enter for pedestrian, bicycle, car, van, bus, truck ...
Mel:thumb:

Last edited:

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Quote " the garmin I can enter for pedestrian, bicycle, car, van, bus, truck ." This only determines the time the journey will take, not the size of vehicle. The Garmin 465T allows vehicle size to be inputted. Link Removed VMax

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Quote " the garmin I can enter for pedestrian, bicycle, car, van, bus, truck ." This only determines the time the journey will take, not the size of vehicle. The Garmin 465T allows vehicle size to be inputted. Link Removed VMax

You may well be correct!!!!!!.....but the Garmin does take me a different route although they both have the same mapping installed, and it has never put me in a tight position as the the other two has many times.....it is just sometimes the Garmin says lost satellites and can take up to 5 mins to regain them again that is when I follow the other two sat navs the TomTom and the Acer

Mel

blackie

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
N IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C/CLASS
Exp
10 YEARS
take the ferry

hi.this happened to us at same place.the ferry turned out to be a train. it was 15 euro and took us under mountain range and left us close to french border.i think the trip saved us about 90 odd miles .blackie

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hi all, looking for your help.

I hope to purchase a Sat Nav for my motorhome for going to France in the summer. Was wondering if anyone has any experience of Pro Nav PNN200 or the Snooper Ventura S7000? I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Jack the Rev

Hi Jack,

I've got an early Snooper Syrius proline S2000 known as the Truckmate, not cheap but does what its asked, Put in vehicle weight,dimensions etc and it will warn you when your heading for an unsuitable road or obstruction, is easily updated on line. not let me down yet

Brian

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
I have a Ventura Snooper and can vouch that this is a great piece of kit.

Before I had the snooper I was a little negative towards these types of devices being an ex squaddie (recon) so can map read at night ect, and an ex HGV1 driver so have a map and compass in my head.

Because we was off to France for three weeks and part of that was in Paris, I desided to buy the snooper after researching all comparable devices.

The snooper has either car or truck settings.
Truck settings has your vehicle hieght, length and weight
Huge amount of EU campsites, plus pictures.
Blue Tooth for hands free phone
Tele, Radio and all the applications competitors devices use plus many more very useful configurations.
For £3 per month you can download speed cameras, campsites and blackspots from Europe and North america.
It is very easy to use and configure, and unlike the competitors screen size (tiny) the snooper has a large screen.

Once we had learn't to use the snooper and obey it commangs, it never once took us to any unsuitable road, even in Paris when we went to the camp site in the centre of the city.

You really can't go wrong with this device, it will get you where you want to go safely, but like all these devices you have to trust it, because if you don't you end up in unsuitable areas, and then we blame the equipment lol.

Like all things in life you get what you pay for. the snooper is very expensive, but if purchased you will have no qualms about spending that kind of money.

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
In general, as I said earlier, Sat Navs are great but I must tell you this one.....
We met up with my daughter & son in law on their holiday, last June, in the south of France. They were in a hire car fitted with it's own Sat Nav system. They also had their own Tom Tom which they had taken with them.
They were in a bit of a dilemma, when at a T junction, one said "Turn Right" and the other said "Turn Left".............. :Sad: :cry: :shout:

Reality is an illusion brought on by a lack of alcohol !

Denny.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back