How do you jack up your van? (1 Viewer)

Doodlebug

Free Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
When changing a wheel or for general maintenance what do you use to jack up your van.

I tried to lift the van yesterday with the supplied jack and it did not feel safe at all, in fact I did not continue and thought I would use my trolley jack that I use on my other cars, this too did not lift the van enough which is ok as it is only rated at 1.5 tons.

I am looking to purchase a higher rated jack and wondered what you knowledgable people use.

Thanks in advance.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I use a 3T trolley jack. I tried a 3T trolley jack from machine mart and it was crap. But at under a £100 I suppose it was to be expected.

Andy

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
At the risk of stating the bl**ding obvious - the jack that comes with the van. The standard Sprinter jack is a hydraulic pillar version that is capable of lifting the vehicle high enough to do the job. I also carry a 1 1/2" thick block of oak to place under it in the event of soft / uneven ground: otherwise it tends to sink!

Only had to do it once in anger.

Philip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The scissor jack that came with my Fiat based Swift is basically dangerous as its unstable, partially due to the fully loaded condition of the MH.

When I am at home I use a 3 ton trolley jack and when traveling I use two 3 ton hydraulic jacks. and if possible I find something to use as blocks too add to the safety.

Doug...

OP
OP
Doodlebug

Doodlebug

Free Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
The scissor jack that came with my Fiat based Swift is basically dangerous as its unstable, partially due to the fully loaded condition of the MH.

When I am at home I use a 3 ton trolley jack and when traveling I use two 3 ton hydraulic jacks. and if possible I find something to use as blocks too add to the safety.

Doug...

Doug

The two 3 ton hydraulic jacks are they bottle jacks?

Regards

OP
OP
Doodlebug

Doodlebug

Free Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
At the risk of stating the bl**ding obvious - the jack that comes with the van. The standard Sprinter jack is a hydraulic pillar version that is capable of lifting the vehicle high enough to do the job. I also carry a 1 1/2" thick block of oak to place under it in the event of soft / uneven ground: otherwise it tends to sink!

Only had to do it once in anger.

Philip

The jack that comes with the van is a scissor jack and does not feel stable at all.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

Doug...

I do the same as Doug and use a 3 ton trolley jack at home, but am unable to find any hydraulic jacks that will fit under the low rear jacking points of the Alko chassis.

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
Ex army screw jack for me. Broad base and huge lift height. These can be got dirt cheap from the right shops that deal ex military. Altho. fairly heavy they are lighter than my 3-ton hyd. jack and a lot more compact.

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Whichever jack you use, you MUST put an axle stand under before doing anything else. Hydraulic jacks can lower slowly if the seals are suspect or even drop quickly as Len Fairclough found out many years ago! VMax

OP
OP
Doodlebug

Doodlebug

Free Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
Whichever jack you use, you MUST put an axle stand under before doing anything else. Hydraulic jacks can lower slowly if the seals are suspect or even drop quickly as Len Fairclough found out many years ago! VMax

Good old Len Fairclough, liked a swim if I remember correctly. :thumb:

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi
Im glad you posted this.
I had to change the wheel on my 09 Boxer last week and the scissor jack was worse than useless. the jacking point is a short bit of 1in pipe welded under the chassis which the top of the jack goes into. Not only was it hard to jack up but the jack squealed and groaned when i was doing it and it started to tilt over.
I am looking at other options now like air jacks. There are also quite a few bottle jacks on ebay that can be done by hand or a tyre air compressor

As other have said a trolley jack is Ok if you have room and can take the weight.

Phill

OP
OP
Doodlebug

Doodlebug

Free Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
Hi
Im glad you posted this.
I had to change the wheel on my 09 Boxer last week and the scissor jack was worse than useless. the jacking point is a short bit of 1in pipe welded under the chassis which the top of the jack goes into. Not only was it hard to jack up but the jack squealed and groaned when i was doing it and it started to tilt over.
I am looking at other options now like air jacks. There are also quite a few bottle jacks on ebay that can be done by hand or a tyre air compressor

As other have said a trolley jack is Ok if you have room and can take the weight.

Phill

Thats exactly what happened to my scissor jack, it did not give me any confidence and I would be reluctant to try it again so I am on the lookout for a better solution.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
as Len Fairclough found out

So what happened to Harry Hewitt then?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the standard, supplied scissor jack isnt meant to be use with the van fully loaded.
i had to use mine once at the front as the hydraulic jack failed (lack of oil and maintainance:Blush:)...never again:Eeek:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Trolley jack at home, with the bottle jack as back up (Usually find with the rear end, you need two - one to go so far, then another lifted into block to go the rest of the way and clear the skirt)

Bottle jacks can be bought fairly cheaply, rating up to 6 ton and easily stowed - which is my main preferance to them - trolley jack is never all that good for dragging round the country unless you have a large garage!

As always, carry chocks - or use the levelling ramps to chock the wheel.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Doug

The two 3 ton hydraulic jacks are they bottle jacks?

Regards

Yes, They are bottle jacks, I dont have an alco chassis though and the jacks are about 8" high which gives plenty of room to get them under the van. Now this might upset you a bit, I bought the jacks in Lidl at Tavira for 14 euro's each.

Doug...

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Sedge- you are right. It was Harry Hewitt who was crushed under a car, Len had a heart attack according to wiki. Still think he should have used an axle stand. Moral is don't live in Coronation St or Emmerdale if you want to live a long and normal life. VMax

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
I should steer clear of Albert Square as well - they've had more than an acceptable level of weird and wonderful deaths!! :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back