munich to garda (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Hi all need your help is their a decent road from munich to lake garda without using motorways or is the motorway easier hope you can help happy travels Rod:thumb:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
There is no charge on motorways in Germany, Austria there is, and can be expensive if over 3500kg (go box needed) italian toll charges are reasonable not worth avoiding IMO

defitz

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Funster No
Exp
more than most of ye-50+
defitz

There is no charge on motorways in Germany, Austria there is, and can be expensive if over 3500kg (go box needed) italian toll charges are reasonable not worth avoiding IMO
Yup I kn ow aboujtover 2500 but I thought Austria was toll free m ways for cars and light comms? Maybe old age and forgot. Ah yes remember now .
Anyway regarding road it's ALWAYS POSSIOBLE AVOID M WAYS BUT BEWARE-OCSIONALLY REALLY UPPITY-DOWWNW BUT SOUTH WELL YOU must TAKE THE CASTLES ROUTE musdt must must THEN FROM INNSBRUCK (NEAR WHERE I BOUGHT MY NOW 36 YEAR OLD HYMER 25 YEARS AGO) THAT SPOECTACULAR MOTORWAY IS MOST FOLK CHOICE BUT IF YOU DONT MIND SOME REALLY HEFTY GRINDS AND WANT TO GET A FEEL FOR THE CUINTRY, TKAE THE OLD ROAD OVER THE RENNER. eITHER WAY, JUST AS SOON AS YOU ARE DOWN BY THE BORDER GO RIGHT, GET WAY OVER FROM THE BRENNER AND DOWN PAST BOLZANO, 4 DOWN TO GARDA AND THERE ARE SUPERB ROUTES THAT ( STUDY MAP) CAN TAKE YOU ACROSS TOWARDS LAKE COMO AND CIRCLE BACK TO GARDA OR GO DOWN IN-BETWEEN TO THe NORTH OF GARDA. I'm recovering from an eye op and I cant read my atlas just now but the route I am trying to recall goes to the right and the landmark you need is Lago d'IDRO. Beware -if you decide to go south along the western shore of garda -well, in 60 yrs give or take of continental motoring, I've never ever been so frightened it is narrow, tunnels and the coaches force you against the tunnel walls. far better , safer and better views drive down the eastern side to Verona. I once lived on the estern shore of Garda and later, by a lovely lake called Lago d' IDRO -also village of Idro). This route is the very best road down into Italy from Austrian border actually, you have to go down quite a bit, past Bolzano, and to Mezzolombarda in the white wine region. Turn right at mezzo and angle back up to Cles then on in to the spectacular Alto Adige (upper adige river) then to Male. From there its down by a really magical route by small mountain lakes -but I am not sure if you go over to Edola( I think not). The road you want runs South now but I have to hand only a very small scale map too small for my eyes at this time.
THE PLACE to aim for now is LAGO d' IDRO -Idro is a spectacular stunning stopover, the small lake nestling under 3 thousand feet high promontories, populated by fish eagles which swoop down like bullets. The moutains above are as high, with isolated villages and these hills and valleys are among the finest unknown places in a magical landscape in Summer.
I seem to recall you can't get back to Riva at the head of Lake Garda from here-up and over and down, or (best) you have to go down and round but you can circle Lake Garda in half a day fdrom any point. I used to make it in a camper from Idro to Verona for the opera in an hour and a bit! Lake Garda is over the mountains from this magical valley route and although there IS a shortcut to Garda's shore -whew I still shudder to think of it still, because it is really steep- yet I use it a lot o get to Salo. But the road on down is fast and easy round tothe Southern Shore of Garda.
Back to the route I reccommend - Idro has a very nice camp site (German owned and run) on lake Ideo where i lived- but Italians wild camp along the lakeside -just squeeze in with them!
The alternative is continue on down from Mezzo on the rat race to Verona, (and miss one of the great hidden secrets of Italy). You turn across to Riva farther downfrom Mazzo. It's nothing at all like the other way.
Enjoy then and sometime let us all know how you get on!
You'ver sparked me in to thinking hard of a (last) return this Summer. Maybe . Good luck and may your Gods go with you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Forgot that...Do not go down west side of Lake its a nightmare. high vehicles often get stuck when they get it wrong and dont allow for the curve. where stuck behind an artic wedged in a tunnel a couple of years ago...we were in a hire car.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back